• 2 Post By BluebirdR3
  • 3 Post By CBRpilot

post #1 of 8 Old 01-01-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
How soon is too soon to upgrade?

Hey Guys,

I've had my R3 for about 3 months now, and I've put a little over 1100 miles on it. I'm thinking about going back to school soon and I guess you could call it a gift to myself for going back (or impatience), but I want to get a bigger bike. I've sat on all the 600cc supersports, and the gixxer/R6 seem like where I'd like to go. The honda is super comfortable but the windscreen cuts the dash in half (who designed that?).

Now I know I should keep the R3 for at least a year and get more riding experience in, and I'd be much less upset if the R3 got hit or knocked over in a parking lot than a supersport, but if we're also talking about things I should be doing I should sell my WRX and lease a base model civic for economical reasons (not happening)

I kinda just need you guys to give me some advice (yell at me and call me an idiot) on how I should go about this.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-01-2017, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Once you get the bug you might as well just do it and be over it,at least for a short time,until you get the itch for the next bigger/better bike!

2014 Ninja 300 SE Pearl StarDust White With ABS
Two Brothers Tarmac Carbon Slip On
TST Industries Integrated Taillight/Signal Lights
TST Industries Fender Delete Kit
K&N Air Filter

2016 Vulcan 900 Custom
Cobra FI2000R Fuel Controller
Kuryakyn Voltmeter
Kawasaki Mini Tachometer
K&N Air Filter
Kuryakyn ISO Grips With Dual Throttle Bosses
Saddlebags Installed Using EasyBrackets
Cobra Freeway Bars
DesertDawg Freeway Bar Chaps
Mustang Wide Vintage Touring Seat With Drivers Backrest
post #3 of 8 Old 01-01-2017, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
None of us will be able to convince you. You want a bigger bike cause it's the cool thing to have. Might as well get it over with as mentioned.

However if you are willing to listen to logical reasons then here goes. A lot of us have owned bigger bikes and prefer the R3. I am one of those guys. I would rather own an R3 because it has taught me how to really ride a sports bike like a sports bike should be ridden on the track . Can you ride your bike like a sport bike should be ridden? Are you able out corner other riders through the twisties? A lot of people tend to think a year or two of riding will mean they need to upgrade. Go do some track days. Really learning to ride a sport bike can take years. There are people who practice the same thing over and over on a small displacement bike just to perfect their technique.

If this whole corner speed,knee dragging, extreme lean angle thing isn't for you, maybe you should ask yourself if you really belong on a sport bike. If you aren't trying to improve those areas of your riding then maybe you should buy something else to look cool on?

If you just want a fast bike to do fast straight line riding on, go ahead and get a busa. You can stay in first gear everywhere you go. Wheelie everywhere. The older ones sell for cheap, you can put lots if miles on them.

My honest opinion is you want a cool looking toy to show off to the world, which is cool because who doesn't? But you may just be missing out on the riding experience that riding is all about. Go hit the twisties on a bigger bike, then again on the R3. Do some track days. It may just change your mind.

Oh the R3 is pretty good for commuting as well.

Edit: auto correct is dumb.
Airdale likes this.

Last edited by Kojiiro; 01-01-2017 at 09:04 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-01-2017, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
There is no such thing as too soon. One guy that has been riding 5 years may have less experience than a guy who has been riding 6 months. And time and miles do not equate to ability as everyone has a different learning curve.

If you want to go bigger, go bigger. You're on a forum full of guys who ride the R3 so of course you're going to get some negative answers here. There are plus and down sides to every single motorcycle. Do a few test rides, find what works best for you, get and and don't look back!
Gizmo and Airdale like this.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-01-2017, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
^ This. Do what makes you happy. If you want a bigger bike then go get it. Life is short. But keep in mind that whatever you decide to do, make sure you are comfortable with the bike before you move on to whatever. For me personally, I'd love an R6 but I know I'm not yet proficient enough even on the R3 to get a bigger and heavier bike yet. I may never get there. But I do love the sound of a 4 banger on a bike! Having said that, just sitting on an R6 made me hesitate because it was SO much bigger and heavier (for me). Even the size of the tank felt 'weird' to me. But, I'm not very tall or anything so that's part of it. Again, do what you want but just make sure that you're mentally ready for the changes. Good luck.
Gizmo and Airdale like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-01-2017, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Garage
There is no reason to rush the upgrade. You haven't had the R3 that long.
Keep it awhile, then get a bigger bike. It will give you more time to research and decide on your next bike.
Lots of choices out there in the market. No reason to rush into a bigger bike. You will get it, when the time is right.
No bike is perfect. All bikes have pros and cons, and they are all different.
The R3 has many good qualities, that other bikes do not have.
Kojiiro, Gizmo and BluebirdR3 like this.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue/Silver)
2012 Honda CBR1000RR (HRC Edition)
post #7 of 8 Old 01-02-2017, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluebirdR3 View Post
^ This. Do what makes you happy. If you want a bigger bike then go get it. Life is short. But keep in mind that whatever you decide to do, make sure you are comfortable with the bike before you move on to whatever. For me personally, I'd love an R6 but I know I'm not yet proficient enough even on the R3 to get a bigger and heavier bike yet. I may never get there. But I do love the sound of a 4 banger on a bike! Having said that, just sitting on an R6 made me hesitate because it was SO much bigger and heavier (for me). Even the size of the tank felt 'weird' to me. But, I'm not very tall or anything so that's part of it. Again, do what you want but just make sure that you're mentally ready for the changes. Good luck.
For what it's worth, if you are not riding on the track, a heavier bike may actually easier to ride for some circumstances. On the Coronado bridge, on a wind advisory day, the R3 isn't very fun to ride. Having my ninja 650 which weighs almost 100 lbs more feels much better. The difference in feel due to weight only matters when the bike is stationary in my opinion, unless we are talking about track days or spirited canyon runs. I don't know if it's just me, bt the first time I got my knee down was on the R3 and it felt like the bike was so light I might just be able to push off the street with just my knee lol. With my zx6r or 650, those two felt like they really wanted to fall over when trying to lean the bike more. With good throttle control, at slow speeds, you don't really feel the weight of the bike.

Not sure how the R6 felt bigger than your 3 to make it feel the way you described. My zx6r only felt wider than my r3, and that's just because of the way the tank is shaped. The wheelbase isn't more than an inch different. Can't imagine an R6 being that much bigger than a zx6r.

Just remember if this is your first bike, it definitely shouldn't be your last. Take the time you have now either deciding what the next bike is, or use it to better your riding technique. Did I mention track days yet?
post #8 of 8 Old 01-02-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojiiro View Post
None of us will be able to convince you. You want a bigger bike cause it's the cool thing to have. Might as well get it over with as mentioned.

However if you are willing to listen to logical reasons then here goes. A lot of us have owned bigger bikes and prefer the R3. I am one of those guys. I would rather own an R3 because it has taught me how to really ride a sports bike like a sports bike should be ridden on the track . Can you ride your bike like a sport bike should be ridden? Are you able out corner other riders through the twisties? A lot of people tend to think a year or two of riding will mean they need to upgrade. Go do some track days. Really learning to ride a sport bike can take years. There are people who practice the same thing over and over on a small displacement bike just to perfect their technique.

If this whole corner speed,knee dragging, extreme lean angle thing isn't for you, maybe you should ask yourself if you really belong on a sport bike. If you aren't trying to improve those areas of your riding then maybe you should buy something else to look cool on?

If you just want a fast bike to do fast straight line riding on, go ahead and get a busa. You can stay in first gear everywhere you go. Wheelie everywhere. The older ones sell for cheap, you can put lots if miles on them.

My honest opinion is you want a cool looking toy to show off to the world, which is cool because who doesn't? But you may just be missing out on the riding experience that riding is all about. Go hit the twisties on a bigger bike, then again on the R3. Do some track days. It may just change your mind.

Oh the R3 is pretty good for commuting as well.

Edit: auto correct is dumb.
Being honest this is exactly what I needed to hear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page