R3 Engine Swap FZ-07 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 5 Old 01-02-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
R3 Engine Swap FZ-07

So I'll "try" to keep it short and say I financed a new 2015 Yamaha R3 a while back. Real fun bike! Very comfortable and sporty lightweight motorcycle. Seeing how I financed it I don't want to get rid of it. Recently however I started getting a little bored with the power. I got around to thinking of a similar and compatible engine to perform a fairly easy swap and came across a 2015 Yamaha FZ-07 engine out of a wrecked motorcycle.

I googled and googled and did all the research I could think of doing. They appear almost identical. Yamaha Parallel Twin Cylinders. Both are 2015. Weight is very close. The mounts are almost identical. I'm wanting to take a shot at swapping engines. The FZ-07 almost looks like a direct replacement! It looks like everything is identical and I can just replace my R3 ecu with an FZ-07 ecu and that's all?

The wiring harness on my R3 appears identical. Looks like I can just unplug my R3 ecu and plug in the FZ-07 ecu?

The FZ-07 engine I have is complete with throttle bodies and airbox. Which also look identical but I'll swap all this out because it's already attached to the FZ-07 engine because it was pulled from the wrecked motorcycle fully intact.

The exhaust is virtually identical as well. I see no reason why I couldn't perform the swap but just thought I'd check on here before I start pulling the engine. Any info that would be helpful and informative is greatly appreciated. Any links related please post. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-02-2017, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm keen to see this mod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 04-02-2017, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
search on youtube, theres a guy who already did it

post #4 of 5 Old 04-02-2017, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Subbing to thread to see result
post #5 of 5 Old 04-02-2017, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Serrano View Post
search on youtube, theres a guy who already did it
Really? Wow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page