User Tag List

13Likes

post #11 of 41 Old 05-24-2015, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
K.O

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
So today will be a small run but look at those twists

(I really should start up a meetup group for these. LOL)

first pic is the full track. second is a close up of the upper windy roads.
Attached Images

FangShui likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 Old 05-24-2015, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Wow, that looks crazy! Have fun!
post #13 of 41 Old 05-24-2015, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
K.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
Wow, that looks crazy! Have fun!
This ride was fantastic. Living/Working in the LA area, we don't see many tree's and grass, and well....anything green really, except for Spring time. We get just enough rain to liven things up in our mountains.

This trek was also going into mountains so once we started climbing up, the smell of dew, green leaves, etc... really perked us up. All that oxygen got into our heads and off we went. (a pic below).

Riding through the low cloud cover was kinda freaky. Visibility went to 'hardly' and damp roads. But once we broke through the clouds and got up to 4-5k feet, open skies and beautiful windy roads. Had a long lunch at the end of the road (Mt. Baldy Ski Resort), and raced a little bit on the way down (this time without the clouds ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150524_161304.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	2689  

post #14 of 41 Old 05-24-2015, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Nice. I grew up south of Mt. Baldy/North Upland and loved the lush greenery. What can you tell us a bought how the bike did on this trip?
K.O likes this.
post #15 of 41 Old 05-25-2015, 03:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
...JEALOUS!!!!!
I live jus south of Kansas city in Missouri. I havta go to the track to get them kinda curves...
post #16 of 41 Old 05-25-2015, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
K.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
Nice. I grew up south of Mt. Baldy/North Upland and loved the lush greenery. What can you tell us a bought how the bike did on this trip?

we'll I've been doing just about all the canyon/mountain run around me so I've been able to do much practice

(post break-in) Generally I've been in 3rd / 4th gear riding the twists (6-8k rpm's). I usually sit around 35-40 mph around most 90 degree turns and in the upper 50's to mid 60's on the bends. I haven't had any issues with traction, braking, acceleration is great, even when pulling out of a corner at lower rpm's. Because the engine braking is very heavy, I find I don't use much brake except for maybe a tap as I approach.

I did play around with riding position a bit more and the bike, though positioned for sitting more upright, absolutely loves it when you lean down on the tank and ride with her in the twists in this position. The weight shifts are very smooth in this position and she'll eat up those turns. Because the handlebars will be kinda higher up when you're bent over, try to keep your grip loose and not hold up your weight, just do your counter steer and throttle. The R3 does not like to be man-handled on the bars.

I haven't really had any issues with the tires but I am considering some super stickies just because of the type of riding I've been doing. I've had my bike leaned over pretty far and as my tires show, right up to the edge of the sidewall (minus 1 or 2 cm's).

All in all, as far as canyon and joy riding is concerned. Yeah the leader bikes still fly past me with their knee's down and in their full leathers.... but they're only about 10mph faster....and I'm not brave enough to lend my knee to the tarmac yet. For the 600 class and below, we're all about the same speeds in the canyons.

As far as some nuances :
One thing that does bother me a little is, when you're approaching a turn, I let the throttle out to engine brake, as I get into the turn and roll onto the throttle again, it can sometimes be a little clunky. I can even hear the clutch 'clank' when it reengages with the engine speed (in turn, this does cause a little unsettling to the suspension, something you don't want when you're in the apex). So to counter this, roll off the throttle, don't dump it, and don't let it fully off (meaning, always keep some gas going into the engine). This way you don't lose the tension on the gear.

Another thing, and it's probably my foot position more than anything, is the shifter. It seems if you don't release ALL the pressure from it, it doesn't reset well and you'll miss a subsequent upshift or downshift (like on a pistol, you know that spot where the trigger resets and you can fire again without having to release the trigger all the way). To counter I always make sure before I go for another shift, I dip my toes down or raise them up (depending on the shift up/down) before pulling in the clutch to perform the shift.

The R3 does exceptionally well in the canyons. I've had many of thrills so far and when you learn its capabilities you become really confident in your ride and the enjoyment begins.

That's all I can think of right now. If I come across something else I'll post it (somewhere on this site )
post #17 of 41 Old 06-06-2015, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
New River Gorge Bridge, WV (6-Jun-15)

Rode the R3 from Greensburg, PA to Fayetteville, WV (about 410 miles round trip) to check out the New River gorge Bridge in West Virginia. Great roads in this part of the states, perfect for the R3.

post #18 of 41 Old 06-07-2015, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
K.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Rode the R3 from Greensburg, PA to Fayetteville, WV (about 410 miles round trip) to check out the New River gorge Bridge in West Virginia. Great roads in this part of the states, perfect for the R3.

WOW! That looks absolutely amazing! The full length of that bridge..... wow!
post #19 of 41 Old 06-07-2015, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
K.O

Did ya stop on it and get a pic there?
post #20 of 41 Old 06-07-2015, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
There was an observation deck near the bridge where I snapped a couple shots, still not all the way at the top of the bridge though.

It was amazing to see, and a little surreal.
K.O likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page