User Tag List

6Likes

post #1 of 17 Old 02-04-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
TST's New Halo-GTR Flush Mounts Installed!

TST Industries used technology most likely stolen from downed UFOs in Roswell to get my new Halos to me in record time. In return, I installed them right away so I can share my experience with others and answer any questions you all may have.

First and foremost, if you are familiar and happy with the fit and finish of their other products, these will not disappoint. I have their Integrated Taillight on my bike and I'm very happy with how that fits, and also happy with the obvious build quality when you're holding it in your hand. These are of that same quality.

These are TST's new Halo-GTR Flush Mount Signals. They come in either Smoke or Clear lens and the Halos come in a handful of different colors. ( Mine are Clear/Hyper White) What's cool about these is that they come apart into two pieces... the flush mount light and the halo. This means that you can order one set today and switch your halo to a different color when you want to (TST sells other colors separately). You can also order just the new GTR Flush Mount signals today and add the halos in at a later date. They come apart easily and have a small plug in the wiring for an easy add or swap out.

Their original standard flush mount signals were held in place with a plastic nut behind the fairing. These new GTR's are held in place differently. Replacing that nut is a ring that has tabs on each side, and engages with teeth on the back of the light unit. Slide it over the back of the light housing and it ratchets on and once tight, it's not going anywhere. Pros and cons to both designs (IMO)... the regular flush mount lights can easily be taken on and off but it you get a little too 'Popeye' on that plastic nut, you risk breaking it (although I have not heard of anyone doing so). These new locking rings click right in place easily and eliminate that potential issue but if you do choose to take these lights back out, it's a little more work to get the locking ring off. Once I installed my lights, I took them back out and with a little screwdriver to disengage the tabs on each side, it wasn't too difficult to pop the lights out of the bike.

These lights come pre-wired with the OEM plugs so there is no need for special wiring harnesses. Order these new Halo/Flushmount lights and they are 100% plug-&-Play on our R3. They have what TST explained is a logic not gate where we have the halo light on all the time (running lights) and once the directionals are activated, that gate switches the halo off and switches over to the flush mount directionals. Cancel the directional and the halo turns back on.

It's crazy cold out today so I didn't take a lot of time with capturing pictures but I wanted to show everyone how they look in the bike. The pictures are pretty much self-explanitory but I'm including a few pics of some gaskets I made up for these lights. I installed my lights and they fit great and functioned perfectly but my left side light had a very small amount of movement in it... not when the bike was running but just when I tried wiggling it with my hand. Being an OCD crazy old guy, I had to do something about that. I ran down the road to a local craft store and bought a sheet of black craft foam for $0.99 and cut out some gaskets. I cut one for the flush mount side and another to go between the locking ring and the fairing. The result is a 100% perfect fit and I'm stoked with the result. This is NOT needed and I had ZERO concerns with the original fit of the lights.... I just wanted it to be perfect in my own mind and now it is just that... perfect.

If you are on the fence, don't hesitate. They're awesome. If you have the original flush mounts and want to know if these are worth the upgrade... I think so but you have to decide that for yourself. I do love having running lights which the originals didn't offer (without additional wiring) and the halos are super cool. The phone's camera may not pick it up well but they are super bright and visible from all angles. I also like that we can swap out the halo for another color for $13 if we choose to do so.

Special thanks for @TSTagent (everyone at TST) for tolerating my non-stop nagging to make these available and for once again not disappointing!

Anyway... on to the pics and if anyone has any questions, just shout.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AesonVirus; 02-04-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-04-2017, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Man that looks really nice! Good job on the install and thanks for the review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 Old 02-04-2017, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Yahoo to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Skype™ to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY
Dudebro, how the **** did you get the so fast? Looks good man. I like the foam gasket work. I actually love the old TST Flushmount mounting style, but guess I'll just have to deal with the new style as I ordered them last night. Can't wait!

post #4 of 17 Old 02-05-2017, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Can we get a head on pic please.

Vagabond FE, Watson design flush mount signals, Rizoma action led rear signals, factory solo cowl.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-05-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdaman View Post
Can we get a head on pic please.
I tried yesterday but it was just too bright outside when I was taking pics. I tried moving the bike around a bit for better angles in the sun but I quickly lost interest in the 20 degree weather. I also attempted to grab a head-on pic while in the garage but the phone didn't like the "not quite bright but not quite dark" setting. It resulted in pics that did these lights no justice. They look much better in person.
The bike is currently tightly packed into the corner of my garage so I can't help out much in terms of head-on pics.

I hesitated on flush mounts for over a year because I demanded visibility. The stocks while ugly, were certainly visible. These are much less "out there" so there is a decrease in running light visibility during daytime hours but they are very bright and have no concerns about oncoming traffic seeing my intentions to turn. I won't know for sure until warmer weather comes but I always ride like the world is trying to kill me anyway.

EDIT- TST has a pretty good head-on pic on their product page

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

Last edited by AesonVirus; 02-05-2017 at 09:52 AM.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-06-2017, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Wow those are really flush! They look great. $50 is a bit steep though for blinkers, especially since I have their original flush mount signals. I'm happy with the original TST flush signals, they have great visibility. If I didn't already swap the Yamaha pumpkins, I'd pick these up, though. I may re-wire the harness to let the non-halo signals be running lights in the future.

TST makes some amazing pieces of kit for our bikes. I love the tail light, it's the best on the market in my opinion.

I'm saving up for some projector headlights from KT right now. They make headlights with just the halo and projector sans demon eyes and blinker tube for $400 on KT's website. Maybe TST has something up their sleeve for headlights? Headlights are the last mod I plan on doing to the bike.

Thanks for the excellent write-up, I'm sure these will fly off the shelf!

Buy it, Use it, Break it, Fix it, Trash it, Change it, Melt - Upgrade it
post #7 of 17 Old 02-18-2017, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little John View Post
Wow those are really flush! They look great. $50 is a bit steep though for blinkers, especially since I have their original flush mount signals. I'm happy with the original TST flush signals, they have great visibility. If I didn't already swap the Yamaha pumpkins, I'd pick these up, though. I may re-wire the harness to let the non-halo signals be running lights in the future.

TST makes some amazing pieces of kit for our bikes. I love the tail light, it's the best on the market in my opinion.

I'm saving up for some projector headlights from KT right now. They make headlights with just the halo and projector sans demon eyes and blinker tube for $400 on KT's website. Maybe TST has something up their sleeve for headlights? Headlights are the last mod I plan on doing to the bike.

Thanks for the excellent write-up, I'm sure these will fly off the shelf!
KT is a good kit, you can purchase the projector kit alone for only $200 shipped. Have to retrofit yourself.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-18-2017, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
I also noticed a slight wiggle on the left side light. However, if you really give the mounting hardware a real hard push and get that final "click", there is no more movement.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-19-2017, 09:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Yahoo to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Skype™ to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1yeh View Post
I also noticed a slight wiggle on the left side light. However, if you really give the mounting hardware a real hard push and get that final "click", there is no more movement.
That is good to know. Since I had hobby foam laying around, I created some gaskets like @AesonVirus made just in case. Haven't installed them yet-was going to today but it was a record high in NY today, 65! So I couldn't work on the bike in such amazing weather when there was riding to be done.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-21-2017, 01:14 AM

@AesonVirus and @m1yeh Got a question for you.

Just a bit of background. I have the regular TST flush mounts installed and love them, and their "viewability" from the front. I also ordered R&G Aero's a while back and never installed them, and actually have them listed for sale. However, they jut out even further from the fairing thereby increasing their silhouette from the front, which is my concern. Also, I live in Brooklyn, but my R3 is out at my family's house 30 min away on Long Island, hence I have not installed my GTR Halo's yet even though I have received them. I like the idea of the Halo running lights and want to dig them, and was at the house today doing stuff, and worked on the R3 but held off from installation. Anyway, what is your opinion about the lights being viewed from the front. Think the signal is noticeable from a good enough distance? At night it will likely be less of an issue. I could have just tested them, since it is not a huge amount of work, but I had a lot to do in a little bit of time and ran out of time especially since it was in the 50's today and took a ride instead of worked on it. The picture seems to show that the turn signal is pretty noticeable, but for something like this, the discrepancy between pictures and real life is often greater than marginal. So what say you? I love TST stuff, and dig the quality, waited YEARS for it, was a bum and didn't test them, but figured I'd ask for you 2 cents before I embark on testing and installation. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page