User Tag List

22Likes

post #1 of 63 Old 04-12-2015, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Best Fender Eliminator?

Hey guys,

I'm going to be (hopefully) picking up my Black R3 sometime next week. I abhor the look of the stock rear fender though and have been looking for a fender eliminator kit. I like the look of the Yoshimura, but it's a little expensive and I don't think it fits Canadian license plates. Also from TST Industries, but they said it won't be available until July.

Are there any others currently available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 04-13-2015, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
mpizzaca,

Many products are not available yet, and I'm hoping this machine really grabs the eye of the aftermarket engineers! Woot Woot!

Since you're going for an elimination kit, I'll assume you want to turn it into a track bike?

Otherwise, you may want to reconsider leaving the rear fender installed and looking at the motodynamics and keeping her safe from a rear end and your passengers happy from dirt spray!

Cheers and good luck!
post #3 of 63 Old 04-13-2015, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpizzaca View Post
Hey guys,

I'm going to be (hopefully) picking up my Black R3 sometime next week. I abhor the look of the stock rear fender though and have been looking for a fender eliminator kit. I like the look of the Yoshimura, but it's a little expensive and I don't think it fits Canadian license plates. Also from TST Industries, but they said it won't be available until July.

Are there any others currently available?
Depends on what your wishes are. If you want to go with an integrated taillight you'd wait for TST. If you like to keep your OEM stock turn signals you can consider to look overseas at R&G. They've got a plug-in play set.

http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/.../LP0172BK.aspx

post #4 of 63 Old 04-13-2015, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
The RG unit looks better than the Yoshimura--less material. 54 British pounds plus the Value added tax may come out to around 90 US dollars shipped. The Yosh is about $110.00.

If you're handy with tools, you could simply make your own from sheet aluminum and a pair of of snips. Make a pattern from thin cardboard, trace it onto the metal, and cut. The RG photos give a good guide for the design.

Happiness is not around the corner, it IS the corner!
post #5 of 63 Old 04-13-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmeister View Post
mpizzaca,

Many products are not available yet, and I'm hoping this machine really grabs the eye of the aftermarket engineers! Woot Woot!

Since you're going for an elimination kit, I'll assume you want to turn it into a track bike?

Otherwise, you may want to reconsider leaving the rear fender installed and looking at the motodynamics and keeping her safe from a rear end and your passengers happy from dirt spray!

Cheers and good luck!
Not a track bike, just much prefer the look of the bike without the huge fender piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertNL View Post
Depends on what your wishes are. If you want to go with an integrated taillight you'd wait for TST. If you like to keep your OEM stock turn signals you can consider to look overseas at R&G. They've got a plug-in play set.

http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/.../LP0172BK.aspx

I may just wait for TST then, as I do like the idea of the integrated lights. Also, being in Canada, the R&G would cost me just shy of $140CAD, so it's a little steep.

Thanks for the info
post #6 of 63 Old 04-13-2015, 02:35 PM

I found the TST website thanks to mpizzaca's post above. Looks like I'll be spending just under $200.00 for the integrated tail light, flush front turn signals, relay, and fender eliminator. Better than going with the Yosh unit and piecing together the rest from various sites.

TST is a forum advertiser.

post #7 of 63 Old 04-13-2015, 02:38 PM
YR3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Would anyone here consider creating their own fender eliminator?
post #8 of 63 Old 04-13-2015, 02:57 PM

Like I mentioned in other posts, it is fairly easy to make your own if you have the patience, skills, and time. I made one for my used GSX-R750 by going to Lowe's and purchasing a 12" piece of 1" L-angle aluminum (each leg of the "L" is 1"); I cut it 3" longer than my license plate, marked 1 1/2" in from each end, cut off one leg of the "L" from each end, then marked and drilled for the turn signal holes in the remaining legs. I bent the legs 90 degrees down, and the unit was essentially done. I marked and drilled the holes for the mounting under the tail, drilled for the license plate, and filed the rough edges prior to bending down the turn signal tabs.

I will do this when my R3 comes in, but plan to get the TST goodies when available.

post #9 of 63 Old 04-13-2015, 03:11 PM

Here is the simplest design (without the bent-down tabs for turn signals)

post #10 of 63 Old 04-17-2015, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
The R&G racing one is a quality unit

I have it installed on my bike. Solid black powder coated aluminum, well thought out design, bright LED plate light and stylish shroud, comes with spacers for wiring (instead if mashing the wire between the bike and mount plate), and spacers to properly mount the factory turn signals so they dont fall out, everything is plug and play.

Only gripes I had was you NEED superglue or two sided tape (says you need it in the instructions but not included) to mount the spacers when installing the mount plate to the bike. Its near impossible to do without holding the spacers in place some how. I used two sided tape myself. And, the LED tail light is color coded wiring for polarity (black and red), but the included factory adapter harness (plugs into factory plate light harness then to the led) was reversed, so I ended up having to go 'black to red' and 'red to black' for the light to work... no big deal... just looks weird/wrong if you look closely at the wiring under the seat.

Just my $.02

Mav

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page