Cxa's adventures - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

18Likes

post #1 of 21 Old 07-15-2016, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Cxa's adventures

Figured I'll just start a log instead of making new posts each time around.

The first two:

Iron butt, 1000+ mile day on an r3
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/289-yamaha-r3-general-discussion/111426-iron-butt-r3-complete.html#post421450

Hunting lighthouses
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/481-yzf-r3-pictures/111786-nj-lighthouse-hunt.html#post432417

This week I was back at it again. Spent two days heading up to NH to ride through the white mountains and up Mt Washington.

Will post a report sometime this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-16-2016, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Long story short, I had to work a Saturday this week, which means taking off a weekday. Perfect opportunity to go somewhere normally crowded on the weekend, but within a reasonable distance. Ideas were bounced around, and I finally settled on mt Washington. Its about 6/7 hrs away, and its been on my running bucket list for a while. This is a perfect opportunity to get in a good ride and scout it out for a running trip later on.
Thursday, all packed up and ready to go at work:

I was finally able to get out of work around noon, and set off. My plan was to head as far east as possible, and then north, to try staying ahead of a line of nasty t-storms for as long as possible. Amazingly enough, this plan worked flawlessly. I got up to lanconia (blue dot below) and got pulled in for gas and dinner and was able to sit out almost all of the rain. I then followed behind the line watching an awesome sunset unfold until reaching my campground, about an hour from mt Washington in the white mtn forest.

Some photos of said sunset:

When I finally got to the campground, it was past nightfall and gently raining again. Threw up camp as quickly as possible and was out in minutes. The next morning, the sun was out and the forecast for mt washington’s summit was still the same, “in and out of the clouds”, and the road was scheduled to be open to motorcycles despite the storms that rolled through. Sweet!
Home sweet home for the night:

Woke up early (5 am sunrise this far north), packed up and was off into town to find some food. This is bear country, so I didn’t take any chances leaving food near the bike/camp area. Got to the mountain around 830, and made my first of two ascents. Conditions were fantastic on both trips until about 5000 feet. After that, it was entirely in the clouds, and visibility ranged from about 5 feet on the first early pass to 200 feet on the second. It was like flipping a switch on visibility. It was a truly incredible way of witnessing the power of the mountains, and just one more reason to respect them.
Bunch of pics:

300 feet was a bit optimistic!

4000 ft or so, still looking good but check out those clouds….

Still doing alright, although this dirt section was definitely a bit sketchy early on. Still wet from rain and tons of pebbles.

Right around the 5000 foot mark I believe, just got into the fog and was freezing. Threw on my rain coat and swapped to my winter gauntlet gloves for some wind protection and warmth

Up to the top! Almost no vis at this point. Theres a parked bike in there somewhere….

Yup, anchors on all the summit buildings

Man, what a view

So, the summit view was a bust but what an incredible experience. I’ll be back for sure, hopefully in fairer skies (a rare thing on this mountain). After hanging out and eating a snack on one of the viewing areas, I started to make my way back home. It was fairly uneventful, and I was trying to make good time so I didn’t take to many pictures. I did have to pull over and uturn for these sculptures though. 5 or 6 big sculptures made from soldered together car/bikes parts. Just awesome stuff.

Additional photos
http://s49.photobucket.com/user/abra...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by cxa0897; 07-16-2016 at 09:08 PM.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-17-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Not bad for a bike that is not even four months old.

torrid_pace and Yamaha-R3 like this.

post #4 of 21 Old 07-17-2016, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Yahoo to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Skype™ to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY
How do you like you side cases? I am an aesthetics snob and can probably get by with a tank bag, tail bag, and back pack. Though yours are really sweet. When are the NY/NJ guys going on a ride?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-17-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Side bags weren't cheap, but they are awesome. The only negative I have to say about them is I did pull one of the zippers loose this week, which keeps it from closing properly. Will be submitting a warranty claim on them, but not sure if it'll be covered.

In terms of space, they aren't too big, 11 or 12 liters per side. Integrated dry bags are nice, but a bit annoying for day to day use. Nice opening size on the top means I can drop a fully loaded 10l bag right into them, unlike the soft bags I ran on my old bike.

I use them and a 35l bag on the tail and can easily fit everything I need for multi day camping trips, excluding food and water. I'll never go back to a backpack, it's so nice not having extra weight on my back.

Not sure about a tri state ride, I tried to set one up in the spring without success, not sure if anyone else has made an attempt. I'm more of a solo go but don't mind an occasional group ride/meet up.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-17-2016, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Great thread! Nice to see you putting some mile on that bike!
post #7 of 21 Old 07-17-2016, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Yahoo to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Skype™ to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxa0897 View Post
Side bags weren't cheap, but they are awesome. The only negative I have to say about them is I did pull one of the zippers loose this week, which keeps it from closing properly. Will be submitting a warranty claim on them, but not sure if it'll be covered.

In terms of space, they aren't too big, 11 or 12 liters per side. Integrated dry bags are nice, but a bit annoying for day to day use. Nice opening size on the top means I can drop a fully loaded 10l bag right into them, unlike the soft bags I ran on my old bike.

I use them and a 35l bag on the tail and can easily fit everything I need for multi day camping trips, excluding food and water. I'll never go back to a backpack, it's so nice not having extra weight on my back.

Not sure about a tri state ride, I tried to set one up in the spring without success, not sure if anyone else has made an attempt. I'm more of a solo go but don't mind an occasional group ride/meet up.
Yeah, that sucks big donkey balls-in re your broken zipper. Maybe a badass tailor can put in some heavy duty zippers? This brings me to a sore point...

I'm quasi-metro (I'm a NYer) so I buy some decent clothes and accessories. I've spent like $600 on boots or a jacket and had things like a button fall off, or the sole break after a relatively short time. When you spend the $ to get some higher end stuff and it fails, breaks, whatever...it's really annoying. ON my winter parka, they large buttons have relatively thin stitching. It pissed me off. You'd expect double stitching and craftsmanship. It is true-the don't make them like they used to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-17-2016, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
Subscribed! I like reading ride reports. Are you on the Advrider forum?

2016 r3-blue
2014 super tenere es-gone
2012 street triple r-sold

post #9 of 21 Old 07-17-2016, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

I lurk on adv rider, but only have one or two posts. I just can't seem to get into many of the posts there.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-04-2016, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Did my first track day today, and it went well up until the 6th session when I came into a tricky set of turns too hot and lost it. Got on the brakes too hard and too late and washed out starting my turn in. It was my first time coming up to that corner without a traffic jam of other bikes slowing things down so I just completely misjudged it.

Did a pretty good amount of damage but oh well, the bike will be fixed eventually. The good news is my gear did its job and I came out completely unharmed, not even a scratch or bruise so I'll take it. I'll be tearing down the bike this week to get a full tally, but as of now the minimum is both rearsets, 1 clip on, nose fairing, windscreen and a patch job on my fairings to get it back up and running. Almost all the other fairings are scratched but functional, which is I'm fine with. I'll be keeping an eye out for a full fairing set and swap it all eventually.

Video of things going well:
(dont know whats up with the audio...my raw file is fine, but keeps getting messed up in the conversion....)
https://youtu.be/9Aq_zhqk3iU

Video of things not going so well:
https://youtu.be/Wxs1BZ1XzSU

The ride of shame:

All in all, it was a good experience despite the crash and I do plan on trying to do a few of these next year. I'd recommend it to anybody on the fence about it. If nothing else, you get a completely different experience from the street and some time to really focus om specifics without needing to worry about traffic, sand, a squirrel, or whatever else may pop up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page