Engine cut out - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

13Likes

post #1 of 63 Old 06-03-2015, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Engine cut out

I was at a stop light just chilling waiting for the light to turn green when all of a sudden the engine just died. As if I hit the cut off switch or something. I started it back up and off I went. I believe I read somewhere here that someone's engine cut out once when they were in motion. I tried searching but couldn't find that post.

Now that I think of it, the engine also refused to restart for me once after I shut it down to park it, then tried to restart it after a minute or so. Took me 4-5 tries before it fired back up. This hasn't happened again, but sometimes I feel like the engine does only barely start. As if the starter is geared too short or something.

Anybody else ever experience this kind of stuff? I have to be honest. My Honda never let me down even once. I've had the R3 for less than 2 weeks already have had two issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 06-03-2015, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
You sure your kickstand wasn't down? Even partially? Were you in gear? (1st or 2nd) . Double check.
Make sure your clutch cable is adjusted properly too.

Last edited by t-rav_12; 06-03-2015 at 03:38 AM.
post #3 of 63 Old 06-03-2015, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

100% positive that stand was not the issue. I had been riding for about 40 min. Was at a traffic light. Bike was in 1st Gear. Waiting for the light to turn green and without any input from me, the engine just quit.

post #4 of 63 Old 06-03-2015, 04:00 AM

...weird. keep us posted on what you find out. Sorry about your bad deal.
Also, check your clutch cable tension.

Last edited by t-rav_12; 06-03-2015 at 04:02 AM.
post #5 of 63 Old 06-03-2015, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Anyone else have this? Fueling problems with new models are common. My FZ07 had an issue with stalling but that is well documented on the FZ07/MT07 forums. Of course the Ninja 300 had a recall due to stalling where they replaced the ECUs on the first models, so it's definitely something to watch. My R3 does make a different sound when it is in N and idling like it doesn't want to be doing that, but so far it hasn't coughed, sputtered or died. I have had several bikes...the Triumph Street Triple R, GSX-r1000, and FZ07 that did not like to restart after you stopped a short time...such as for fuel...but this only lasted until the bike was broken in...maybe 2 gas refills, then it went away on all three bikes. Once I let my FZ07 warm up a little too long and it coughed and died too. Bikes don't really like to sit in idle very long. STILL, your bike should never die in traffic. That could cause you to get rear-ended. Really, if it were my bike, I would go break the bike in by doing a hard break-in and see if that didn't fix the problem. Then I would take back to the dealer if it didn't.
post #6 of 63 Old 06-03-2015, 01:21 PM

Mine backfires occasionally when I blip and downshift. This is my first fuel injected bike, so I don't know if that's normal? The backfire's not that loud, and I haven't experienced any running issues.
post #7 of 63 Old 06-03-2015, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
That's ok as long as it is not an actual backfire which would be loud. Mine does the same thing...a short cracking/popping sound on downshifting or compression braking. The Ninja 300 does the same thing. I kind of like that sound.
Frisco likes this.

Last edited by AJ Nin; 06-03-2015 at 01:52 PM.
post #8 of 63 Old 06-16-2015, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Just wanted to report that my engine stalled again while waiting at a red light. Again, there was no warning. I hit the starter button and it fired right back up and off I went. This is the second time this has happened.
post #9 of 63 Old 06-16-2015, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mase View Post
Just wanted to report that my engine stalled again while waiting at a red light. Again, there was no warning. I hit the starter button and it fired right back up and off I went. This is the second time this has happened.
Get on the way to your Dealer and let him take a look. On his costs! He sold you a damaged bike if its like that... What do you think whats happens when you drive 90mph and the engine turns off? Good Bye mate...
post #10 of 63 Old 06-16-2015, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker31 View Post
Get on the way to your Dealer and let him take a look. On his costs! He sold you a damaged bike if its like that... What do you think whats happens when you drive 90mph and the engine turns off? Good Bye mate...
That's a bit of an overreaction, which is not helpful to new riders who are here learning. Could an engine cut-out put you in a dangerous situation? Yes, under the right circumstances; But I would hardly generalize it as a catastrophic event. In most cases it would be much like simply releasing the throttle.
SpearsRacing and Braunbear66 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page