User Tag List

3Likes

post #1 of 11 Old 10-04-2016, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Over Filled Motor Oil

Hello,
Just picked up my R3 a week ago and it has roughly 600km since the last oil change was done by the previous owner. I didn't think it would be necessary to check the oil levels as an oil change was performed so recent. when I checked the oil, I made sure the bike was level...and what do i know...the whole sight glass was full! While sitting on the bike I took a video to see how much I needed to tilt it before it got the the top line of the sight glass. I only needed to tilt the bike 1-2cm (.39-.75 inches) for it to get to max line. While the bike is on the stand there is no oil in the sight glass.
My question is, would this amount of oil caused any damages to the motor? The bike seems to be running completely fine, no vibrations, no over heating, no knocking. Getting a bit OCD here because there have been alot of km put on the bike with this amount of oil.
I am going to get a turkey baster and take a small amount of excess oil from the filling port until it reaches the correct amount needed.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-05-2016, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Relax. You're fine.
CBRpilot likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-05-2016, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Mine has been overfilled since the recall work, it's been fine, yeah time for an oil change anyway ...

oh hai, yo

post #4 of 11 Old 10-05-2016, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Garage
I run my oil level at the top of the sight-glass window. A little extra oil won't hurt a thing. You worry for nothing.
Go ride. Enjoy life. Eat a pizza. Drink a beer. Watch a movie. Listen to music.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue/Silver)
2012 Honda CBR1000RR (HRC Edition)
post #5 of 11 Old 10-05-2016, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Yahoo to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Skype™ to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY
I concur with these guys-you should be ok. Lots of people are not knowledgeable, ignorant, or worse apply "auto type thinking" to bike. In the Army, my buddy from basic who happened to get stationed at Ft Carson with me for our first duty station, borrowed my treasured 1992 Yamaha FZR600. Loved that bike. Anyway, he rode it to Pueblo from Ft Carson/Colorado Springs-I guess about 35 miles. Nice open roads and twisties, of course. He convinced me because it was for the v-jayjay.

So by bro code I lent him my precious. Moron went to get gas, and looked at the oil sight glass and I guess figured my neurotically meticulous self just half-assed his bike and neglected the oil. He later told me, he thought the dipstick was broken and figured after you removed the oil cap, you filled it to the top. So my buddy, who I am still friends with (somehow) filled it to the rim with car oil! Dude bro started riding it and said oil was shooting out exhaust and got on tire and almost wiped out. He left it in Pueblo and I had to get it after he decided he messed up and it was too dangerous to ride. Nice. We didn't talk for a while and I was furious he was a total "buddy ******," as we like to say in the Army. After several years after getting out, I forgave him as we didn't talk for several years. But it still irks me even though he is a close friend. What was even worse is that he could have killed himself. So moral of the story is, unless you know what you're doing, don't mess with the fucking bike or oil. Still shake my head when I think about it... More isn't always better.
Gizmo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-05-2016, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the peace of mind guys! But before I saw any of your replies I ended up taking about. 0.4L out for it to be perfectly at the max line.
Gizmo likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-07-2016, 02:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogal88 View Post
before I saw any of your replies I ended up taking about 0.4L out for it to be perfectly at the max line.
( chicken )

Go put that 0.4L back in it. I dare you.

post #8 of 11 Old 10-07-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRpilot View Post
( chicken )

Go put that 0.4L back in it. I dare you.
I'll put the 0.4L back in with an extra 1L for good measure...LOL!
post #9 of 11 Old 10-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Garage
When my bike was overfilled, I found that I had a lot of vibration that could be felt through the bars.
I ended using a straw taped to a turkey baster and I slowly sucked out oil a little at a time until I brought the level back down to the suggested amount.
Once I did that, the vibrations were gone.

That reminds me... I need to buy my wife a new turkey baster before the holidays

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Slip-On Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Adjustable Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 11 Old 10-07-2016, 08:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogal88 View Post
I'll put the 0.4L back in with an extra 1L for good measure...LOL!

I never said that. You trying to be funny? Monkey boy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page