Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Confirmed Oil filters ON THE LIST that should work THAT DO NOT

The WIX 51356 DOES NOT WORK ON THE R3

IT DOES NOT SEAL ALL THE WAY

YOU WILL RUIN YOUR MOTORCYCLE

IT WAS ON THE LIST

YOU WILL NOT KNOW TIL YOU ARE GOING DOWN THE ROAD AND ALL YOUR OIL COMES OUT

The 51358 works fine.

It was my first oil filter change so I had no idea what was supposed to even happen.

I dont know how to get this information out the correct way. Please sticky this or do whatever you have to to get this information out the best way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 02-06-2016, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
How does it ruin the motorcycle? Saying it doesnt fit and saying it will ruin your bike are two different things. There are plenty of reports (I have personal experience) of bikes dumping their oil either through the drain plug or filter with no ill effects on the bike. Personally if a bike dumps oil, I would be more worried about sliding and crashing than I would "ruining" the bike.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-08-2016, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
Just use either factory or either of the two K&N filters (long or short, standard for Yamahas). The oil filter nipple (what the filter screws on to) is a bit longer on the Yamaha than some filters are threaded, thus filter does not seat fully and amazingly leaks.

Post in all caps are considered "yelling" - don't do that please.

The issue with this particular WIX filter has already been identified: Oil filters that do NOT work with the R3

Also: Yamaha R3 FAQ & How-To Mega Thread *READ This First*

Thread merged

USBA/WERA Ex. #296
Perpetual back-marker

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spears Racing

post #14 of 23 Old 04-13-2016, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
So, I was following the decision by CMRA to ban any aftermarket oil filters after some recent crashes due to filter failures (the most recent being Kyle Wyman at COTA last weekend).

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...t-oil-filters/

After checking the WIX fitment there are a couple of interesting findings:

Fitment for 51356: http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...spx?Part=51356
Fitment for 51365: http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...spx?Part=51365

It seems neither are recommended for any Yamaha, including the R3

USBA/WERA Ex. #296
Perpetual back-marker

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spears Racing

Last edited by Stirz; 04-13-2016 at 04:25 AM.
post #15 of 23 Old 04-13-2016, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Does the pervasive Fram Synthetic 7317 fit the R3? It fits the FZ6R, and I see the Wix filters here listed on the Yamaha Z6R site, so I'm thinking possibly the 7317 also works. Do we have a corresponding thread that lists oil filters confirmed to fit properly?

Yes, the one Wix filter I have, the inside nut sticks out convex, inside of being concave like the Fram Synthetic filters. I don't think the Wix filter would have tightened down properly on my FZ6R either

Last edited by xorbe; 04-13-2016 at 07:39 PM.
post #16 of 23 Old 04-14-2016, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
The R3 uses same oil filter as an Infiniti.
If you want the short (same as stock) filter look up 2004 Infiniti G35 as an example, the Mobil 1 version is an M1-108. For the longer filter use 2004 Infinity G45 that yields a Mobil 1 M1-110. Both filters are the same diameter and thread size.

Rapid Red bought new 11/14 delivered 11/15/2015 with 0 miles build date 06/2015
post #17 of 23 Old 04-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviator View Post
If you want the short (same as stock) filter look up 2004 Infiniti G35 as an example, the Mobil 1 version is an M1-108. For the longer filter use 2004 Infinity G45 that yields a Mobil 1 M1-110. Both filters are the same diameter and thread size.
A word of caution - just because it is the same size and threading (ie; it fits) does not mean it is applicable for uses other than intended. Those particular filters do not cross-reference to Yamaha motorcycles and are specifically designed for these applications only. Use at your own risk.

M1-108 - Hyundai, Kia (1994-10), Infiniti, Nissan (1995-14) Mazda (1990-08, 2011-15), Subaru (2004-14) (Mazda B6Y1-14-302; Subaru 15208-KA010)
M1-110 - Chrysler Products (1991-98, 01-05), Ford Probe (1989-97), Honda (2001-14), Infiniti (1995-14), Mitsubishi (1992-14), Mazda (1983-02, 09-11), Nissan (1995-14) (Nissan 15208-9E000; Mitsubishi MZ690072)

They may work just fine, but don't make the mistake of taking your bike in for warranty work with them on the bike - that will void your warranty in a heartbeat, particularly if there is a motor/tranny related problem.

USBA/WERA Ex. #296
Perpetual back-marker

Spears Racing

Last edited by Stirz; 04-14-2016 at 08:15 PM.
post #18 of 23 Old 04-15-2016, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirz View Post
So, I was following the decision by CMRA to ban any aftermarket oil filters after some recent crashes due to filter failures (the most recent being Kyle Wyman at COTA last weekend).

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...t-oil-filters/
The CVMA has banned aftermarket filters, not the CMRA. I still find this funny considering almost all filters are made by 5 or 6 different companies.

Last edited by Stirz; 04-15-2016 at 01:42 PM.
post #19 of 23 Old 04-15-2016, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelusionalOne View Post
The CVMA has banned aftermarket filters, not the CMRA. I still find this funny considering almost all filters are made by 5 or 6 different companies.
You are correct, sir - good catch - MotoAmerica did it too, btw. (I've been following the CMRA soap-opera too, so I must have gotten all confused in my early Alzheimers or late-night fog)

I agree that most (if not all) OEMs outsource filters, but apparently the specs do differ somewhat in that those sold by OEM are often tighter tolerance and/or better quality (or so goes word on the street from people who had time on their hands and measured/cracked them open - flatness across gasket base, thread runout, amount/type of filter media).

I'm all for saving a few bucks here and there if all things are equal - but also know that more than once warranties have been voided on the basis of using "improper" filters - maybe cheesy, but it happens. Folks will spend lots of coin on farkles and bling, but buy the cheapest oil filters they can find - I just have a hard time going along with that, sorry.

USBA/WERA Ex. #296
Perpetual back-marker

Spears Racing

Last edited by Stirz; 04-15-2016 at 02:07 PM.
post #20 of 23 Old 04-16-2016, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviator View Post
I concur with Stirz on this one....

If a filter 'fits' it does not mean it is of a close enough design to OEM to work optimally. Although it may fit and never have an issue, if the filter is used outside its designed purpose and a failure occurs because it was used outside its designed purpose it could be catastrophic...ie blow up the filter, worse yet... your engine.

Lots of things come into play in the design of oil filters. Ive been in the parts industry for over 15 years and seen my fair share of filter designs/build quality and failed filters from people crossing incompatible filters and using them on their machines/vehicles.

Although there is a small handful of filter Manufacturers. Every 'brand' of filter differs from one another in some part of the construction, even when they cross to one another.

The biggest points of failure when using filters not designed specifically for the application are the bypass valve (some filters dont even have one) and the filter material itself. If the bypass valve is too weak for the application your filter is doing nothing and all oil is bypassing the filter material, if its too strong and the filter material plugs you could starve your oil galleries down stream of the filter. Also flow ratings can differ greatly between two filters that look the same on the outside.

Filters are built based on inlet pressure, bypass pressure, flow rate, required micron rating, sealing face/thread design etc. An OEM filter directly crossed to a KN or NAPA lets says will be nearly the same as they are built to a minimum spec but there will be differences still.

The KN may have more filtering material (pleats within the filter) or a better crimp, or use rubber/steel parts internally vs cardboard/cork, but both OEM and after market filters are designed with a bypass at a certain pressure, will have the correct sealing face/thread and will match the 'minimum' flow rate/micron rating required.

So in otherwords.... only use filters specifically listed to cross reference to OEM with whatever you're installing it on!!!

Just my 0.02c
Stirz likes this.

Mav

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page