Oil filters that do NOT work with the R3 - Page 3 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

post #21 of 23 Old 04-16-2016, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm been using the M1-108 and M1-110's (if there's enough room) on Honda's, Kawasaki and Yamaha's for years with no issues. If you're concerned about using a motorcycle specific filter, use their M1MC-174 oil filter.

BTW, that been 10+ years of racing on those bikes and thousand upon thousands of miles on the street.

Last edited by DelusionalOne; 04-16-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 Old 04-21-2016, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Garage
UPDATE - K&N 204

Several unnamed sources at undisclosed secure locations have passed some information on that may be of some use. I've seen no official information to back this up, so treat it as a 'advisory' only.

Some recent 'oil filter failures' have been attributed to a change in manufacturing location (China) and seem to be isolated to this particular model. If you are using this filter, check carefully that the O-ring is compressing when you tighten it down. There have been several instances where the filter is fully screwed on (bottoms out on the bung) before the O-ring has a chance to compress, resulting in O-ring 'blow out'. The mating plate is not dished as much as previous models. Be sure O-ring makes contact with the engine mating surface well before reaching torque.

I have been using the 204's on the R3 and have recommended them up to this point. I went out and checked my spares in the shop (stamped 'made in Korea') and they looked OK. So, if you have these - check to see if the top of the center threaded hole is no less than about 5 mm below the O-ring. Any less than that (or stamped made in China) - don't use it and return it if you can.

EDIT - another way to check that you have a 'good' 204 is to remove the O-ring and spin the filter on by hand - if it spins freely until metal on metal contact, you should be good. Take the filter back off and reinstall O-ring, then you should be OK.

And in the spirit of this forum, which is to try to provide 'good' information to folks that may not have much experience with these things, I'd offer that just because someone has used a non-recommended filters, oil, tires, etc. with no apparent problems does not mean that practice should be promoted or recommended on the forum. At this point I'm taking the position that the OEM is the filter that should be used.

USBA/WERA Ex. #296
Perpetual back-marker

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spears Racing

Last edited by Stirz; 04-21-2016 at 09:19 PM.
post #23 of 23 Old 04-27-2016, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Garage
Just found out today that the Purolator Pure One PL14610 no longer works on the R3. It had worked previously though. The new version is not dished out where the older model had been.

I did do some testing and found you can pound down the raised portion (if you have a non marring hammer) and it will work. I would not recommend this unless you ABSOLUTELY need a filter and there are no other options.

Like me on Facebook at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page