Oil filters that do NOT work with the R3 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

post #1 of 23 Old 07-22-2015, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Oil filters that do NOT work with the R3

I thought I would start this thread considering I'm out the money to buy the filter that shows as a cross reference but it doesn't fit.

Wix 51365 is a direct cross reference to the KN204. However, when I screwed the Wix filter on I noticed it like stopped very suddenly. I tightened it good and started the bike. Within a second I had oil all over the carport. I shut the engine down and retightened. A second start and I had more oil.

I'm not sure why but that filter does not fit this bike properly. I noticed when I put the OEM filter back on, it tighted like it was tightening against the Oring around the oil filter, the Wix tightened like it hit a wall. So I think perhaps it bottomed out on the inside threads before it seated correctly against the engine.

Whatever the reason, do NOT use the Wix 51365 with the R3!!!
SLO likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-22-2015, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
I ordered genuine Yamaha filters off Amazon back in early May; I put the filter stock number (from the actual filter) in a Google search and found it all over the place for cheap. Why would you want to use a different filter?

Happiness is not around the corner, it IS the corner!
post #3 of 23 Old 07-22-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Because its a much better filter. I'm not looking for cheap, I'm looking for good. Fram is cheap, but I won't put one on my lawnmower.

post #4 of 23 Old 07-22-2015, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR3 View Post
So I think perhaps it bottomed out on the inside threads before it seated correctly against the engine.

Whatever the reason, do NOT use the Wix 51365 with the R3!!!
I bet you're right. I've heard of this happening on other bike/filter combinations. Not a deep enough bung-hole.
post #5 of 23 Old 07-23-2015, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Yep, and to be clear this is not saying Wix is a bad filter. Not at all, it's one of the best. But it just doesn't fit this particular bike.

I mean I'm a licensed airplane mechanic so its not like I don't know what I'm doing. In 20 years of changing my own oil, I've never had a filter tighten like that one did. Screw it on and it hit a wall. Usually they go on by hand and then get progressively tighter and tighter as the o ring seats. This one screwed on by hand and then STOPPED. I was like hmm ok whatever. My mechanic intutition told me something was not right but I didn't listen to the little voice in my head. Oh well, I ordered some Mobil 1 filters that will be in next week.
post #6 of 23 Old 07-23-2015, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-the-Bike View Post
I ordered genuine Yamaha filters off Amazon back in early May; I put the filter stock number (from the actual filter) in a Google search and found it all over the place for cheap. Why would you want to use a different filter?
I agree. It's apparently adequate enough for the factory to base a warranty on.
Kojiiro likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 07-24-2015, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

A 12 month warranty? They must not trust it very much. Some cars come with 100,000 mile 10 year warranties.

You can run a Fram for 12 months. If your goal is simply to make it to the end of the warranty period you aren't aiming very high.

I've been running Wix filters on my scooter since 07. It currently has 25,500 miles and purrs like a kitten. It's 9 years old.

Last edited by YamahaR3; 07-25-2015 at 12:23 AM.
post #8 of 23 Old 07-25-2015, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Wix filters are among the best out there. I first started using them 20-25 years ago, I carried mail and used my vehicle and was putting 45k on it yearly, so I was changing oil and filter monthly.
post #9 of 23 Old 07-25-2015, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
One billion filters don't work on the R3, We know one does.

The one on my bike from new was Yamaha-Denso;
1WD-E3440-00
my genuine replacements from Yamaha Au;
5GH-13440-50

Use the second number and you cant go wrong, it fits many Yamaha Models from R6's to YFM Farm bikes.

Cross reference chart here-
http://www.oilfilter-crossreference....GH-13440-50-00

But use it at your peril all to save a dollar and lunch an engine.

Genuine Yamaha parts are expensive, because they are the best.

I blame the Internet.

Last edited by Aufitt; 07-25-2015 at 05:09 PM.
post #10 of 23 Old 07-25-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Uh you do realize Yamaha doesn't make their own filters, right?

And they are expensive because they are labeled Yamaha. Just like anything labeled "marine" is 4 times as much even though it's identical to non-marine versions. It's smart marketing on their part, for fools who buy their products simply because of the label. Like Yamalube, WTF is that? It's Pennzoil in a Yamalube bottle and 3 times the price. And whats funny is there are fools out there who will buy it.

For the rest of us, we'd rather see scientific proof of which oil and filter is better. And there just happens to be some out there, if you're willing to look.

From your own website, the same one I used, look what it cross references to, a WIX 51365 WHICH DOES NOT FIT THIS BIKE.

That is the entire purpose of me creating this thread. I seriously doubt I found the ONLY filter in that list that does not fit our bike, yet cross references to it.

Last edited by YamahaR3; 07-25-2015 at 10:13 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page