User Tag List

30Likes

post #11 of 140 Old 04-24-2015, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Nin View Post
I'll use Rotella T6 full synthetic starting with my first oil change. I use it in all my bikes. It has the JASO MA rating and while it doesn't have a picture of a motorcycle on the jug, it's the right stuff. $21 a gallon at Walmart, less with rebates and sales. The oil filter looks like the same filter that fits a bunch of different bikes. I have some for my FZ07...Denso 5GH-13440-50 which cross references with the Fram PH6017A and a bunch of other oil filters. The oil plug takes a 12 mm socket so I don't know if my FZ07washers will fit the plug yet since that oil plug takes a 17 mm socket. I've been all through the owner's manual looking for the part no. for the oil filter, but if it's there, I can't find it.
Agreed the T6 is the best bang for your buck plus it meets or far exceeds the API and JASO standards for motorcycles! That oil has been my secret for years all of my other buddys spend big bucks on oil that is inferior to Rotella T6 3/4 of a jug is all it takes to do a oil change. Plus since its a 5w-40 oil it has better flow charcteristics then 10w-40 or 15w-40 which in turn frees up more power!

Current Bikes 2007 CBR1000RR 2006 CBR 600RR 2013 Ducati 848 Corsa 2015 R3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 140 Old 04-25-2015, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I prefer full synthetic because I live in Texas and summers are brutal. The cooling fan works overtime and oil temp stays high, so I want the assurance full synthetic offers against oil breakdown at higher temps.

I haven't changed the oil yet, but will soon. The Yama part # for the oil filter is 1WD-E3440-00-00, but I can't find a cross reference from K&N or Fram for that no., so I'm not sure about the oil filter yet. Pretty sure the same filter that fits the FZ-07 and FZ-09...along with Ninja 300, Ninja 650, Triumph Street Triple R, and a bunch of other bikes will fit it. It looks to be the same size anyway.
post #13 of 140 Old 04-27-2015, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
I prefer full synthetic because I live in Texas and summers are brutal. The cooling fan works overtime and oil temp stays high, so I want the assurance full synthetic offers against oil breakdown at higher temps.

I haven't changed the oil yet, but will soon. The Yama part # for the oil filter is 1WD-E3440-00-00, but I can't find a cross reference from K&N or Fram for that no., so I'm not sure about the oil filter yet. Pretty sure the same filter that fits the FZ-07 and FZ-09...along with Ninja 300, Ninja 650, Triumph Street Triple R, and a bunch of other bikes will fit it. It looks to be the same size anyway.
Same here I live in the high desert in CA with summer temps in the 108+ degree range daliy I feel you. I use Evans waterless collant in all my bikes the Powersports version of Evasns waterless coolant will work wonders check out the link belowit explains it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PykrgzWPQ

Current Bikes 2007 CBR1000RR 2006 CBR 600RR 2013 Ducati 848 Corsa 2015 R3

post #14 of 140 Old 04-27-2015, 02:38 PM

Evans coolant looks like good stuff.

I did my first oil change today and went with Rotella T6 at 175 miles. The oil was plenty dirty. It's an easy procedure although there isn't a lot of room to remove the oil filter with some filter removers. No fairings to remove and oil doesn't drip all over the exhaust. A strap wrench worked best. I have every kind of oil filter wrench known to man and a couple I made myself, but the dang thing was on pretty tight. I usually just go to large channel lock pliers with tight filters, but there was no room. Yes, the filters I mentioned fit fine. I put a Fram filter on until the 600 mile oil change. Only thing is the Fram PH6017A is slightly longer, but there is plenty of room at the front of the filter for any length filter you might want. Even though the oil plug takes a 12 mm socket instead of 17, the threads and the crush washer are the same as with almost any other Yamaha sport bike.

Last edited by AJ Nin; 04-27-2015 at 02:41 PM.
post #15 of 140 Old 04-27-2015, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't think that you used the term "fully synthetic "correctly.
synthetic oils sold in stores, are actually semi-synthetic oils.
They are dino oil mixed with fully synthetic oil.
just for reference, if dino oil would cost you $20 a bottle, semi synthetic usually goes for $20 to $25, and fully synthetic would go for $80.
Fully synthetic oils are used only in racing cars, like daytona, F1, or luxury cars, and make no sense in regular vehicles..
post #16 of 140 Old 04-27-2015, 09:08 PM

Rotella T6 is full synthetic far as I know. Don't they use the term semi-synthetic for oils that aren't full synthetic?
post #17 of 140 Old 04-28-2015, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
No manufacturer uses the term semi-synthetic.
It's a marketing hype, to call it "synthetic", but that's just what they are.
Fully synthetic oil is almost as light as water, and colorless.
It has almost no additives in it.
post #18 of 140 Old 04-28-2015, 06:53 AM

I've agree blends are marketing hypes to get the term synthetic on the label since the amount of synthetic oil can be very low in a blend or semi-synthetic. They do the same thing when they put the picture of a motorcycle on a jug of oil and double the price. Still, Rotella T6 is full synthetic. Rotealla T5 is a blend...aka semi-synthetic.
post #19 of 140 Old 04-30-2015, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Once broken in with Dyno oil "Yamalube or Honda GN4" I may try the full Synthetic Stuff I put into my BMW 1000RR....5w-40...It make that bike shift like butter...very smooth..and yes...With BMW price

Bikes:
2012 BMW-S1000RR (Pure Adrenaline)
2015 Red/Black-R3 (Play Bike)
post #20 of 140 Old 04-30-2015, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
After break-in I normally use Spectro Platinum 4 Full Synthetic, about $16 U.S. per quart.

In synthetic oils a conventional base stock is refined from crude oil through various hydro-refined/hydro-treated refining processes to separate and/or convert undesirable compounds to yield a suitable finished base stock.

Synthetic oils are not fake - they are still derived from crude oil. However, synthetic engine oils use higher base stocks than conventional oils and go through a synthesis process in which all the molecules are made into the same size for a higher film strength.

A "Full Synthetic" has 100% higher base stocks in it and a "Semi-synthetic" is a blended oil using both conventional and higher base stocks, usually costing around $4.00 U.S. less per quart than full synthetic. Semi-synthetic, or Blended Synthetic (both terms for the same thing) contains no more than 30% synthetic oil.

Last edited by FangShui; 04-30-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page