Need Help with Tires - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

post #1 of 12 Old 02-16-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Need Help with Tires

I commute daily to work during the weekdays (90 km daily) and ride somewhat spirited on weekends. I have the stock Michelin Pilot Streets on it right now. They seem "ok" but I don't feel super planted on them, and they don't grip as much as I'd like them to in the twsites. Main reason I need new tires is because I noticed the previous owner put a plug in the rear tire. Either he did it, or got a shop to do it....anywho, I just don't feel comfortable knowing there's a plug in there without knowing who performed the work.
What tires would you recommend for weekday commuting and somewhat spirited weekend riding (twisties)? I posted a thread a couple months ago asking if you prefer the DRII's or S20's, but I'm not sure how much life I will get out of them as I will be doing plenty of commuting to work and back. Would I be better off getting a sport touring tire? Is there any decent sport touring tires that come in our tire sizes that have better grip than the Pilots?
Help a newb out! I posted something on GTA motorcycle forum, but they are all a bunch of c*ock suckers towards ppl that ride smaller bikes.
Thanks guys!

Last edited by rogal88; 02-16-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-16-2017, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
For everyday commuting and "somewhat" spirited rides, I honestly think stock tires are ok. I ride the crap out of my bike, have gotten the stock tires to the edge with knee pucks scraping and don't mind them for just commuting. Some people have tracked the bike on stock tires. Me riding the crap out of my bike however, may just be "cruising" for someone else's riding style.

That said, for my peace of mind, I switched the stock tires out early because I wanted to track the bike and I feel if you don't have confidence in a bikes components, that really affects your riding. That's one thing I didn't want on the back of my mind at the track.

I switched to S20 evos because I have used them on a bigger bike and really liked them.

Just accept that with more grip, you will always lose mileage. Just like with bikes, there is no one tire does all. I would be happy to get 4-4.5k miles out of S20's on the R3.
Gizmo likes this.

Last edited by Kojiiro; 02-17-2017 at 07:38 AM.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-16-2017, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Garage
The stock tires are good for commuting. I left the stock tires on my R3, but I don't push it through corners.
I pushed it once, and it wouldn't hold a line. The whole bike drifted out of my lane. That told me all I needed to know.
Since then, I just don't push it. The stock tires will last a long time. I have 2,400 miles on my R3, and the stock tires
still look brand new. I run 30psi in the front, and 32psi in the rear. I weigh 155lbs.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue/Silver)
2012 Honda CBR1000RR (HRC Edition)

post #4 of 12 Old 02-17-2017, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
I do something very similar and have really liked my Metzler z8s. Commute during the week, canyons/one or two track days a year on mine. You will have to bump to a 150 in the rear for the Metzler, but they offer decent life and much better grip. Ive got close to 5k miles on my set and they have plenty of life left. I'm expecting 8-10k miles out of the rear. I got 11k out of the stock pilot for reference.

Moving to a 150 rear in general allows you quite a few new choices in sport touring, I know the pilot road 4s come in 150, and I believe the angel st does as well. Any 3 of these tires would be excellent choices for a high longevity, good grip compromise.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-17-2017, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogal88 View Post
I commute daily to work during the weekdays (90 km daily) and ride somewhat spirited on weekends. I have the stock Michelin Pilot Streets on it right now. They seem "ok" but I don't feel super planted on them, and they don't grip as much as I'd like them to in the twsites. Main reason I need new tires is because I noticed the previous owner put a plug in the rear tire. Either he did it, or got a shop to do it....anywho, I just don't feel comfortable knowing there's a plug in there without knowing who performed the work.
What tires would you recommend for weekday commuting and somewhat spirited weekend riding (twisties)? I posted a thread a couple months ago asking if you prefer the DRII's or S20's, but I'm not sure how much life I will get out of them as I will be doing plenty of commuting to work and back. Would I be better off getting a sport touring tire? Is there any decent sport touring tires that come in our tire sizes that have better grip than the Pilots?
Help a newb out! I posted something on GTA motorcycle forum, but they are all a bunch of c*ock suckers towards ppl that ride smaller bikes.
Thanks guys!
Hey buddy! Mike over at Corsa actually has tires in his back room! If he doesn't have the size you need / want, he can order them in. I actually asked him about it and I think he has the ones that would fit our bikes. BTW, this weekend is supposed to be 9 degrees - I might take my bike out for a bit!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-17-2017, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxa0897 View Post
I do something very similar and have really liked my Metzler z8s. Commute during the week, canyons/one or two track days a year on mine. You will have to bump to a 150 in the rear for the Metzler, but they offer decent life and much better grip. Ive got close to 5k miles on my set and they have plenty of life left. I'm expecting 8-10k miles out of the rear. I got 11k out of the stock pilot for reference.

Moving to a 150 rear in general allows you quite a few new choices in sport touring, I know the pilot road 4s come in 150, and I believe the angel st does as well. Any 3 of these tires would be excellent choices for a high longevity, good grip compromise.
Thank you for the recommendation. I will consider these tires! What size did you install of the Metzler Z8? I can only see 150/70 17, but I've read on the forums that if you go up to a 150 we should have a 150/60 or 150/65 in order to keep the same circumference etc (I may be wrong though)
I have been leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Street Radial and Dunlop Sportmax GPR 300. Not quite too sure on how much better the Pilot Street Radials are, but the Dunlop Sportmax seem to get great reviews..

Last edited by rogal88; 02-17-2017 at 11:08 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-17-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluebirdR3 View Post
Hey buddy! Mike over at Corsa actually has tires in his back room! If he doesn't have the size you need / want, he can order them in. I actually asked him about it and I think he has the ones that would fit our bikes. BTW, this weekend is supposed to be 9 degrees - I might take my bike out for a bit!
Hey! Did Mike say which tires he has on hand? The only downfall in purchasing tires from Mike is that when I bring them to a shop I will need to pay full price for mounting and balancing, where if you get the tires from the shop that's installing them they heavily discount the labour $$.
I saw the forecast also!!! Double digits! I am really itching to take the bike out also, but there is a ton of salt on the roads
post #8 of 12 Old 02-18-2017, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Hey I think he said he has S20's or maybe Pirelli? I can't recall. But he did say he would help me install them if I wanted to buy them. Not sure if he has a balancer etc or not. Maybe ask?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-18-2017, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogal88 View Post
Thank you for the recommendation. I will consider these tires! What size did you install of the Metzler Z8? I can only see 150/70 17, but I've read on the forums that if you go up to a 150 we should have a 150/60 or 150/65 in order to keep the same circumference etc (I may be wrong though)
I have been leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Street Radial and Dunlop Sportmax GPR 300. Not quite too sure on how much better the Pilot Street Radials are, but the Dunlop Sportmax seem to get great reviews..
150/70. No problems with it. It will put your speedo off by 1% or so, but that's pretty negligible
post #10 of 12 Old 02-20-2017, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If youre commuting 90km a day stick with the Pilot Streets. They wont have the same level of grip that Rosso 2's or S20's have but you wont be squaring off the tyre.

I have been commuting on Rosso 2's for about 6-7000km now and the middle patch is a liiitle bit square, but if youre not riding aggressively around town then you wont keep the tyre profile somewhat round.

Since ill still be doing plenty of commuting on it, ill be switching back to Pilot Streets. And I will miss all that extra grip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page