User Tag List

4Likes

post #11 of 13 Old 02-04-2017, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0b0tN1nja_BKNY View Post
Kojiiro, outside of exhaust, suspension is probably the most expensive upgrade on a bike, so I think that is the main reason people do other uogrades first. One defintely wants to get rid of the fugly rear fender and turn signals immediately and those mods require small cash outlays. A rear shock will easily run $900 and $700 for a fork cartridge kit, as you well know.

I upgraded my front brake master cylinder and lever and front caliper with Brembo parts which was not only an ergonomic and aesthetic upgrade but a safety one as well. If fact I probably upgraded almost everything before the suspension. On my 92 FZR600 I installed a Progressive rear shock with remote reservoir and it was one of the few upgrades I did to it, but it was an amazing performance and comfort upgrade. I kept my Honda 2003 CBR600RR mainly stock. So my R3 is the first bike where I have do mass overhauls and modifications. I still have the forks and tires to do. While I am a big believer in upgrading suspension and tires, I think the stock ones are pretty good and will suffice until worn out. I will definitely upgrade the tires to some Battleaxes or Diablo Rosso II's but still on the fence about the forks. I'm thtinking of some Andreani's or Ohlins Nix-22's but might even go with Sonics through Matt. My next ourchase is probably an Ohlins steering damper and Graves mount kit. The steering is just too light without it and need it more so than the front forks IMAO.

By the way. I spent 8 years in the Army as a tanker. ?
Try the Nix22 first. I don't think the R3 really needs a stabilizer. At least for me at the level of riding I am at, I don't need one yet. I know what you mean with how the front end feels. The NIX definitely helped with some of that. It's only a few more bucks than a stabilizer and mount, but does more than just stabilize the steering/head shake.

Like I said, to each their own but I value a bike that rides good much more than one that just looks good.

FYI, there is no sonic suspension upgrades unless you mean just springs. That should go without saying. Every bike should be sprung to correct rider weigh regardless if you can afford cartridges/emulators or not. People will spend $100 on a tail tidy or integrated light but won't spring their forks correctly for the same price. It just baffles me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 02-04-2017, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
A few years ago, I did a retro bike project on a Honda 1984 CB700SC Nighthawk. Part of the project was updating the suspension and moving the bike rake and trail specs towards a modern naked. As part of that project, I had to account for the starting point and desired endpoint. I spent a few weeks collecting rake and trail data from about 2010 to 2013 on many different class of bikes. I have added a few bikes along the way to make sure I know where things are trending. There are certain relationships the designers stay within no maker who the manufacture. I cannot tell you what is safe, but there is strength in numbers.

Pic 1. Rake vs. Trail. This depicts the relationship for different class of bikes (see upper right corner for class types). You can see Yamaha designed in in some good starting point numbers. This means you should be mindful of suspension changes so you always know where you are. One odd thing about the R3 is the long front suspension. Where the R3 is, all bikes around you have about 4” of front suspension travel; the R3 has 5.1”. So a caution example: a soft nose isn’t good as it allows the front to compress more than the bikes around you. Make sure you get the front suspension sprung and set sag right before you go changing thing in front or rear.

Pic 2. Wheelbase vs Weight. The R3 is getting to the pointy end of the relationship. Not to fear, scooters are also here – but they are not the higher speed projectiles the R3 is. As you make the light R3 lighter etc for track days, you might start to notice the bike feels different at higher speeds. I have been watching to see if anyone needed a steering stabilizer. On one hand, that might be good add, but it may also be a way the bike is telling you, you are too close to a design relationship and the bike may become unstable. Again, know you have the bike suspension set up safely for the dynamic envelope you intend to explore. Spend some time verifying where you are.

Ride safe, it takes time to heal.
Kojiiro likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-08-2017, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I only have 9 posts and want to send a pm to Forks by Matt. So here is post 10. Problem is fork bottoming out. I am 155 lbs and looking to improve forks on hard hits potholes and topes here in Mexico. Thinking maybe 10% stiffer spring, chg fork oil to 7.5 and add 10mm to air gap. Still breaking in the MT-03 and plan to check my sag settings when I return home from the states. My thoughts are results will be minimal if I go cheap given the OEM design so probably cartridges mod is the best answer. I don't want to do this twice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page