User Tag List

3Likes
  • 2 Post By R0b0tN1nja_BKNY
  • 1 Post By Gnu

post #1 of 10 Old 07-17-2016, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Yahoo to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Skype™ to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY
Found pic of my beloved 92 FZR600 at my parent's house

Only known surviving photo. Had it during most of my Army years and traveled to different bases with me, notably Ft Carson, Colorado Springs Colorado. Had it from 95-2005. Did like 22,000 miles on it. Had a Vance & Hines exhaust, rejetted carbs, K&N filter, and Progressive rear shock with remote reservoir. Got it up to around 130 on 115. That bike was a trouper.

Saw a guy recently with a later model FZR600 in Brooklyn. The white with multi colored stripe theme. Mine was all black with he hideous 90's teal and pink stripes which I painstakingly removed.

Found it on a whim. My Mom called saying her internet and cable was out and needed me. Caught a glimpse of the photo lying under the TV stand among manuals, remotes, etc. My brother must have taken it while he was tuning it up for me in basic and AIT prior to shipment to Colorado. In the background you can see my brother's 86 GSXR 750. (R.I.P. Bro).

An idiot friend messed it up when I lent it to him. Left it stranded 30 miles away in Pueblo. A friend helped me retrieve it and I shipped it home. Sat a few years and just gave it away when I bought my 2004 CBR600RR.

It's a pic of a regular 4x6 pic so it's grainy. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cwick2000 and f1lupo like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by R0b0tN1nja_BKNY; 07-17-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-17-2016, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Nice looking FZR, makes me wish I had a photo of my 1991 FZR400 still around (bike was black with polished frame).
post #3 of 10 Old 07-20-2016, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The FZR was a blast to drive! I owned one in my early 20's for a season before having to sell it to afford university tuition..ah the memories
Reminds me to take pictures more often nowadays.

2015 Yamaha R3-blue/silver
2004 Honda CBR600RR- blue/red
1997 Kawasaki KLX300R- green/purple
1981 Yamaha MX80- blue/white
& too many others to fit here

post #4 of 10 Old 07-20-2016, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Yahoo to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Skype™ to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwick2000 View Post
Nice looking FZR, makes me wish I had a photo of my 1991 FZR400 still around (bike was black with polished frame).
Yeah, just like the FZR600 right? Yamaha and other companies named their frames IYR like Yamaha called theirs the "Delta Box" frame. Not sure of the FZR400. I'll have to look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1lupo View Post
The FZR was a blast to drive! I owned one in my early 20's for a season before having to sell it to afford university tuition..ah the memories
Reminds me to take pictures more often nowadays.
Totally. I mentioned in my first post I saw a 96 recently but before I saw it, I could tell what it was simply from the exhaust note I heard before I actually saw it. Funny how you can recall things simply by sound or smell.

In fact, the 96 paint scheme is still one of my favorites. It was a base white with red and blue, and other color highlights. Just a nice multicolored scheme. I'm picky about color schemes. Also, the full Yamaha yellow FZR600 was amazing too.

Actually, the R3 land R6 lineups have amazing colors. There is not one I do not like. I really love the matte grey and throwback Yamaha Yellow/Black/White paint jobs.

Here are pics of the old 1996 FZR600 white/red/blue and 95? Yellow color schemes. I'd still love to have an FZR600. Also, here's a pic of the ugly teal/pink striping on the black 92 FZR600 which I had, which, again, I painstakingly removed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-21-2016, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
these pic take me back to the early '90s when grunge rock ruled, mountain bikes had anodized purple parts and legalizing weed was just a dream
post #6 of 10 Old 07-21-2016, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwick2000 View Post
these pic take me back to the early '90s when grunge rock ruled, mountain bikes had anodized purple parts and legalizing weed was just a dream
Good times. That's whenI was a teenager/early 20's and dialing up my modem on my 486 PC to get onto cycleworld.com. Super NES and Tecmo, Sega Genesis and Golden Axe. I had a huge Motorola cell phone. Those were the days you called up your friend's house or just went over- none of this play date **** I hear about. I feel sorry for kids growing up now.

70's GenX say the infancy of things like the cell phone, internet and console games and how they grew and evolved. You just get a unique perspective and take things for granted less. Now its all "look at me," Taylor Swift, etc. grankly, I think the Anti-Christ is coming...

post #7 of 10 Old 07-21-2016, 12:26 PM
Gnu

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My 2003 FZ1, I think I still have a picture kicking around of my 1977 RD400
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 12466.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	41649  
cwick2000 likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-21-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
My 2003 FZ1, I think I still have a picture kicking around of my 1977 RD400
My brother had a 78-79? Yamaha RD400 in white. Not positive on the year; I want to say 79, but whatever. My brother (R.I.P.) was 9 years older and he had it a few years after the bike's age year, so around 83-84...when I was a young tyke playing with my Star Wars figures, etc. No way in **** I was riding it as I was 4/5 years removed from diapers. But man, my brother plopped me down in front of him and between the tank, and take me for rides on his RM125 and DR400. He crashed the former and got a huge chunk of flesh ripped out and only broke a few bones luckily, but that's neither here nor there. Just a reminder, BE SAFE OUT THERE.

The RD400 was a two-stroke and street legal. It's sound alone was intimidating. I jist remember being a kid and felt like I was in an Air Force pilot G-Force simulator. The power and acceleration was unreal. That's where the passion for bikes came from. Both my Mother and Father detested motorcycles, and unlike my friends we never got any of them biught for us. One of my rich friends had a garage full of dirt bikes and we're talking tween years! 10,11,12, etc. Insane.

post #9 of 10 Old 07-21-2016, 01:40 PM
Gnu

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I love the old two strokes! I had a 72 Kawasaki 500 triple and got beat in drag race against a 77 RD400 (I was stock and he wasn't) but I was always a Yamaha guy and my next bike was a RD400.
Taught my wife to ride on a RD400 back in 1981 she ended up with a 77 RD400 in French blue and mine was chappy red, 35 years later here we are she just got a blue R3 and I just got a red R3.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-21-2016, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
I love the old two strokes! I had a 72 Kawasaki 500 triple and got beat in drag race against a 77 RD400 (I was stock and he wasn't) but I was always a Yamaha guy and my next bike was a RD400.
Taught my wife to ride on a RD400 back in 1981 she ended up with a 77 RD400 in French blue and mine was chappy red, 35 years later here we are she just got a blue R3 and I just got a red R3.
I'm Half-Japanese (Mom's side) and have family there. Haven't been there in years, but when I was there, it was motorcycle heaven. There is a dedicated part of town in Tokyo that is a motorcycle district called Ueno. It's buildings and floors and floors of bikes, helmets, leathers, parts, etc. Totally insane.

I bought an enduro helmet back when I was a teenager for dual-purpose bikes. Anyway, smaller displacement bikes are more prevalent there compared to the US. Back when MotoGP was two-strokes, all the Big 4 had 125, 250, and 500 two-stroke race replicas. Like Yamaha YZ250s, and Honda NSF250s. They were awesome, and ahead of their time as far as stock bike features like single side swingarms, inverted forks, etc. Of course, they were two-strokes, and louder, dirtier, and less EPA friendly, but super lightweight and crazy power-to-weight ratios. The 500 two-strokes were insanely fast monsters.

I am not sure if they are still legal in Japan though I am pretty sure many of the old bikes have been grandfathered in if there has been any law changes as they are still prevalent on used bike sites which I have checked out in Japan. If you ever go to Japan, all riders must check out Tokyo and the motorcycle district. It's like biker heaven on earth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page