51Likes

post #11 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
>:d get it >:d

Enjoying the R3:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojiiro View Post
Dont listen to anyone here. Get the R6 as your first bike, ride it at like 20% its capabilites max, your capabilities at 100%, or whatever you can get your level at. Remember you can hit 65+ in first gear, so you dont even need to shift if you are just riding around town. Go ahead and enjoy that crappy street bike posture (some supersports are ok for the street, my ZX6R was fine, but that varies from rider/bike combo). Enjoy the super high insurance. If everyone brags about their high MPGs, remember you are on an R6, not a scooter. If you wanted hgh MPGs you would have gotten a vespa. Enjoy that cool looking fat 180 tire cause only the cool guys rock a 180. Enjoy going fast in a straight line cause the guys on their beginner bikes can only look cool on tight roads or technical tracks. Keep us posted, especially when its time for the Part out Party!

Or be sensible, stop itching for a bike just cause it/you would look cool, and get an R3 or other small bike, have tons of fun on it and actually learn to ride (not saying you cant on a bigger bike, but most experienced riders will agree a small bike teaches more things and at a faster rate than the bigger bikes.) All while avoiding most of what I wrote above.
I know this is random but how's riding in San Diego?
I was thinking about moving to NYC but it seems like the quality of life is so much better in San Diego.
I live in SF at the moment. Are there good roads ( twisties ) in SD?
post #13 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun Do Park View Post
I know this is random but how's riding in San Diego?
I was thinking about moving to NYC but it seems like the quality of life is so much better in San Diego.
I live in SF at the moment. Are there good roads ( twisties ) in SD?
We don't have a riding "season". Our weather is amazing all year. Lots of great roads like Palomar, the 94 Etc. Also there are race tracks 1.5-3.5 hours away.

post #14 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Tal

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Read this Drew page 20.
http://edition.pagesuite-professiona...c-0c5e8b7ae11d

Too Old To Die Young.

It's Nice To Be Here,It's Nice To Be Anywhere.
post #15 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Most riders I see on superbikes, unless they are in the twisties, are riding with one arm resting on the tank. Why? Because their backs and arms are killing them from the horrible posture on those bikes. I sat on the R6 at the dealer while I was waiting for the paperwork to be processed for my R3. I immediately knew I made the right choice. Would I like a little more power from my R3? Sure, who doesn't, but not at the expense of comfort.

Yamaha R3: Half way between the R1 and R6.
post #16 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
I personally do not like the R6 because the ergonomics is so **** hard on you. Its not fun as a street bike in my opinion. People often say that the R6 and R1 are the most track-oriented of the Japanese sport bikes, and I agree. Your posture, and comfort, its going to affect your street riding and going slow and stop and go will be a huge pain on you.

Young kids who have bought the R3 are crashing it left and right on these forums, so I can't comment on your safety because if you are an aggressive newbie with low competence, you'll drop the bike regardless of what it is. But just know the R3 will be ten times more comfortable to ride than an R6. It will be much safer to ride in general. And I own two motorcycles, a stronger motorcycle, and the R3, and I enjoy riding the R3 more because I can ride it crazy and still be safe, whilst riding a stronger sport bike crazy results in not being safe. But then, that is the perk of owning 2+ motorcycles. I can't comment on how it would be if I only owned the R3 and nothing else. But I honestly think I would be happy with nothing but the R3.
Goalier95 and Mike-the-Bike like this.

If you argue with an internet moron, everyone loses.
post #17 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks for the many good points! I really enjoyed the read on the British magazine claiming 71mpg in towns.
The insurance is definitely a kick in the groin at about $300 for full coverage (max liability, theft, collision) for the R6 as opposed to ~$130 on the R3. However I will probably skip out on the collision coverage for the R3 which brings it down to about $70. The insurance company really punishes new riders with collision coverage costs. It is through the roof.

Also the other day I got a chance to sit on both bikes and I can safely say I will stick with the R3.

Hope to get the bike within the month! Then I will give a formal introduction on the forums.
post #18 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 03:33 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you want a certain bike get it, everyone is different in terms of riding ability and how fast they learn.
post #19 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I started on a Buell Blast. Decided I needed something more appropriate for highway use and picked up a 2009 FZ6-S2 Fazer. The FZ6 is fantastic for highway and back road riding but not as enjoyable around town. In July I picked up a R3 to ultimately replace my Blast. If I had the R3 before the FZ6 I probably would not own the FZ6. Yes the extra power is fantastic, but I dont need it. I can only go so fast on the road and the FZ6 likes to go faster than the posted limits with ease. While I am more confident on the FZ6 than the R3 I suspect most of that comes down to the tires. The FX6 has Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tires on it and they have never left me wondering what they were doing. The stock tires on the R3 have left me less confident as I start to push more. That will be solved in the spring and hopefully I will never second guess what the tires will do in a corner again.

In short, a more tame 600 is probably fine to learn on. A high strung 600 probably not. I did ride a buddies 2006 R6 and found myself eager to get back on my R3 within about a mile. The ergonomics are not well suited for me and I find the bike a bit twitchy for my liking.

Yes, I still own all 3 bikes. The Blast will probably be sold in the spring though. The R3 saw more road time than the FZ6 even though I have owned the FZ6 about twice as long. For a fun "therapy" ride I tend to gravitate to the R3. Its just so much fun. My buddy with the R6 gets excited every time I let him ride it as well.
SDR3, Braunbear66 and Drew Lee like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mitdr774; 10-27-2015 at 05:05 PM.
post #20 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbear66 View Post
Just got back from a nice ride pulled into my driveway to my surprise. 700 miles. Home safe again. Good to hear your going to join in and get yourself a R3. It's really comfortable bike to ride.
Wow, 700 miles! I would love to take a road trip down Hwy 1 on the California coast, so this is good news, thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page