Please talk me out of getting an R6 - Page 3 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

51Likes

post #21 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
At 23 I would have wanted an r6 too because you know all your friends will be telling you, Aww why didn't you get the r1 or r6? An R3 isn't as cool. If you follow their advice, you may end up as a statistic and wrap the thing around a pole. Look at the videos Aufit posted. That happens everyday with new riders. Street bikes get a bad wrap because everyone wants to one up their buddies and get the latest and greatest. Then they crash and get hurt or die. I've also been riding and racing over 30 years. (all dirt) and I am totally happy with my R3. The only reason I may upgrade in the future is because I am too heavy for this bike, I weigh 230 lbs and the extra weight slows it down a little.

The R3 handles great after you put $200 dollars of good tires on it. All the reviews on the web are with crappy tires and they all say the bike needs better tires. With good tires this little bike can pass 600's and 1000's in the corners all day long and nothing feels better than passing a bike that has 2 or 3 times the horsepower and costs twice as much in the corners. Anyone can go fast in a straight line, that doesn't take skill.
Goalier95, mitdr774 and Drew Lee like this.

Last edited by SDR3; 10-27-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
Started on a Honda Grom and spent some time on an FZ6 before jumping to the R3. I test rode an rc390 between the FZ6 and the R3 and that is what solidified my love for these little sport bikes. The R6 has an absurd amount of power and I just have no use for that. Its also extremely uncomfortable for around town riding, not to mention you will never even leave 1st gear, lmao. Worse gas mileage, higher insurance, more expensive to begin with... personally it just seems silly to start on something like the R6 unless you get a used one that is in good condition at a good price. Its much more logical, IMO, to start with something smaller, LEARN TO RIDE and then upgrade if/when you feel like you need to. Its not a rush, plus its fun owning different bikes.

I use my bike primary as a commuter and also for fun/recreation (like all of us, haha). The comfort of the R3 made it a no brainer, and it is just too much fun to wring this bike's neck. You can get plenty of power and enjoyment out of it, more than enough for me at least. It also looks SEXY, people are always staring at it on the streets. I don't see myself ever selling it, if I ever get something more powerful I will just end up owning two bikes.

You always hear people say that its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. I always kinda brushed that saying off and for a long time I was really focused on getting the best bang for my buck power wise. After riding the rc390 and then the R3, that phrase really took on a whole new meaning to me. It was so much more satisfying hitting 10k RPM in 4th on the R3 rather than constantly sitting around in 2nd-3rd gear on the FZ6. Maybe its just me, but man do I love riding my "slow" R3 fast and really getting the most out of what it has to offer. I would never get that same satisfaction on an R6, and I am so glad I decided to go with the R3.

Last edited by vercify; 10-27-2015 at 10:00 PM.
post #23 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vercify View Post
Started on a Honda Grom and spent some time on an FZ6 before jumping to the R3. I test rode an rc390 between the FZ6 and the R3 and that is what solidified my love for these little sport bikes. The R6 has an absurd amount of power and I just have no use for that. Its also extremely uncomfortable for around town riding, not to mention you will never even leave 1st gear, lmao. Worse gas mileage, higher insurance, more expensive to begin with... personally it just seems silly to start on something like the R6 unless you get a used one that is in good condition at a good price. Its much more logical, IMO, to start with something smaller, LEARN TO RIDE and then upgrade if/when you feel like you need to. Its not a rush, plus its fun owning different bikes.

I use my bike primary as a commuter and also for fun/recreation (like all of us, haha). The comfort of the R3 made it a no brainer, and it is just too much fun to wring this bike's neck. You can get plenty of power and enjoyment out of it, more than enough for me at least. It also looks SEXY, people are always staring at it on the streets. I don't see myself ever selling it, if I ever get something more powerful I will just end up owning two bikes.

You always hear people say that its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. I always kinda brushed that saying off and for a long time I was really focused on getting the best bang for my buck power wise. After riding the rc390 and then the R3, that phrase really took on a whole new meaning to me. It was so much more satisfying hitting 10k RPM in 4th on the R3 rather than constantly sitting around in 2nd-3rd gear on the FZ6. Maybe its just me, but man do I love riding my "slow" R3 fast and really getting the most out of what it has to offer. I would never get that same satisfaction on an R6, and I am so glad I decided to go with the R3.
Thanks for all the great responses. I don't have any friends who ride sportbikes, so I hope to meet some of you out in the bay area in the future.
I'm on the lighter side of the spectrum at 140lbs; yet another great reason to love a small bike.

Vercify, just curious what kind of gear did you wear to your commute? I currently have full-face helmet, gloves, and a jacket. Looking to add boots and maybe pants too, but it just seems like too much to walk into work looking like a "power ranger" as they say. However my workplace isn't too formal and doesn't require you to look immaculate everyday so I'm considering wearing full gear for the love of my skin

post #24 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Lee View Post
Thanks for all the great responses. I don't have any friends who ride sportbikes, so I hope to meet some of you out in the bay area in the future.
I'm on the lighter side of the spectrum at 140lbs; yet another great reason to love a small bike.

Vercify, just curious what kind of gear did you wear to your commute? I currently have full-face helmet, gloves, and a jacket. Looking to add boots and maybe pants too, but it just seems like too much to walk into work looking like a "power ranger" as they say. However my workplace isn't too formal and doesn't require you to look immaculate everyday so I'm considering wearing full gear for the love of my skin
Check out the BARF forum for locals in your area. You don't need to look like a power ranger coming in to work. I personally wear a helmet, leather jacket and gloves, riding jeans ( Kevlar reinforced and padded at the knees), and riding boots. Heard of too many people breaking an ankle due to no ankle support. The pants have saved my knees twice in two accidents. I have to wear a uniform at work and it takes like 3 minutes to change into uniform. No matter what gear you wear, it won't help if it's just In your closet hanging up.
post #25 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Lee View Post

I am a law student so I don't have to look overly presentable, lol. I wear a full-face helmet, gloves, and some sort of jacket. Usually my fake leather one, but I just ordered one of those AXOs so I will be wearing the primarily. Typically in jeans with leather boots or gym shoes, depending on my mood. I don't have any special gear for pants and boots, I just wear my normal stuff. I lock my helmet to my bike every day so I don't have to carry that in. I have a locker in the law school that I keep my jacket in. If I ever did wear full gear I would just leave 10 minutes early every day and change before heading to class, I am sure you can do the same thing at work.

I absolutely never ride without pants, my helmet and gloves, and I try to wear my jacket every time I go out as well. Pretty easy to wear that stuff over whatever you wear to work, or to change into more formal clothes once you get there.
post #26 of 82 Old 10-28-2015, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Seems that many people got the AXO! I also picked one up in blue (had to bite the bullet on the amazing deal and made a conscious choice to go with the blue r3).
At this point I may as well invest in leather pants to finish off head to toe and gear up everyday for work. I don't think I will regret this decision when I go down. Plus the commute traffic is quite vicious!
post #27 of 82 Old 10-28-2015, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojiiro View Post
Check out the BARF forum for locals in your area. You don't need to look like a power ranger coming in to work. I personally wear a helmet, leather jacket and gloves, riding jeans ( Kevlar reinforced and padded at the knees), and riding boots. Heard of too many people breaking an ankle due to no ankle support. The pants have saved my knees twice in two accidents. I have to wear a uniform at work and it takes like 3 minutes to change into uniform. No matter what gear you wear, it won't help if it's just In your closet hanging up.
By the way, thank you for the BARF suggestion
post #28 of 82 Old 10-28-2015, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
[QUOTE=
Vercify, just curious what kind of gear did you wear to your commute? I currently have full-face helmet, gloves, and a jacket. Looking to add boots and maybe pants too, but it just seems like too much to walk into work looking like a "power ranger" as they say. However my workplace isn't too formal and doesn't require you to look immaculate everyday so I'm considering wearing full gear for the love of my skin[/QUOTE]

I commute to work every day it's not raining or below 37 degrees on my bike. I have a pair of Sliders Kevlar reinforced jeans and also a pair of their tan Khaki's that I wear most of the time. Also have some Joe Rocket Alter-ego textile pants that I can slip on over regular pants and then take off when I get to work - and those are water repellant.
post #29 of 82 Old 10-28-2015, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Get the r3 . Don't spend money on it . Even if it is so tempting . Get really good and then buy the actually new 2017 R6 . Well I spent money on my r3 so shouldn't talk . But gonna keep it till new r6 comes out . Got R3 this year so buy the time I upgrade would have practiced for 2 years on the R3 . Learn to ride a slow bike fast . Then a fast bike fast . Not the other way around . Rossi did it that way so he can't be wrong
post #30 of 82 Old 10-28-2015, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
But speed is relative the r3 is still faster than most bikes and cars in the right hands . After I saw that post of a guy rocking a go cart track with a 250cc I decided I want to strive for that . And I think will be easier to learn on R3 without killing myself lol
Braunbear66 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page