Please talk me out of getting an R6 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

51Likes

post #1 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Please talk me out of getting an R6

I have been looking into getting a motorcycle for few weeks now (Taking the motorcycle safety course this week and 0 prior motorcycle experience). I have 6 years of clean driving record at age 23. Deep in my senses I know that R3 is the right decision as a commuter / weekend bike, but I just can't shake off the excitement of numerous R6 videos I have been watching.

I am SO itching to buy the R6, and need someone here to slap me out of it lol.

In short, please tell me what you love about the R3

Thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
If you can afford, go R6. Do not underestimate the R3 since it's **** fun to ride the little monster

Race Blue Yamaha R3
Netherlands
post #3 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
If its your first bike I cant fathom anything worse than an R6.

I've been riding and racing offroad for 40 years,
intensive track training at the highest level possible for 4 years,
Racing for 2 years with high grading and excellent race results at state level.

Im not ready for an R6, let alone purchase one for 'commuter / weekend bike',
or to ride at a level the R6 is capable of, I see no fun in hospital.

Love that the R3 is beyond my abilities, but on it I can keep gradually improving because 300's are forgiving.

Bikes don't come any less forgiving than the 2008-2015 R6, that's what I love about them too,
but I sure as **** aren't going to rush out and get one until good and ready.

Is that enough of a slap?
Do the safety course, ask the instructors, they will also shake their heads..

I blame the Internet.

post #4 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yeah, thank you for the double slap. I really appreciate the words from an experienced rider. Currently I am putting some money into good gear to get myself ready.

I would argue that you are probably well off in the streets on a 600cc because it seems you have much more experience than most
who ride in that class. But I guess being humble served you well for the past few decades :]
Aufitt and Matthew Crowe like this.
post #5 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
post #6 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
At your age youll eventually move up to a superbike. I would get an r3 first then wait until the next gen r6 come out. That way in between that time you can gain some experience. I came from an r6 to r3.
post #7 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Get an R3, swap out the stock tires for something better (Bridgestone S20's ). Take every riding course you can find. A skilled rider will NEVER outgrow the R3. What will happen eventually is you will get so much fun out of out riding sqids on bigger bikes that you'll never see the need for a bigger bike. I corner work at a track in exchange for track time. There was a 14 year old kid on a 125 2 stroke mini gp bike that was turning faster laps than ALL of the liter bikes in intermediate group and holding his own against the expert group.......all with 35 horsepower.
post #8 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Garage
Need a slap? Check insurance rates for an R6 at your age on that bike.

Like me on Facebook at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
squid, idiot, pack of squids, squid, annnnnnd squid.

I joke, but honestly I just don't get these people.. If you're going to ego ride with a bike way past your ability, at least throw a jacket on to keep your skin from feeding the asphalt monster.. At least the guy in the stoppie fail video was pretty much wearing full gear and practicing in a parking lot or closed street

I sell propane and propane accessories.
post #10 of 82 Old 10-27-2015, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Dont listen to anyone here. Get the R6 as your first bike, ride it at like 20% its capabilites max, your capabilities at 100%, or whatever you can get your level at. Remember you can hit 65+ in first gear, so you dont even need to shift if you are just riding around town. Go ahead and enjoy that crappy street bike posture (some supersports are ok for the street, my ZX6R was fine, but that varies from rider/bike combo). Enjoy the super high insurance. If everyone brags about their high MPGs, remember you are on an R6, not a scooter. If you wanted hgh MPGs you would have gotten a vespa. Enjoy that cool looking fat 180 tire cause only the cool guys rock a 180. Enjoy going fast in a straight line cause the guys on their beginner bikes can only look cool on tight roads or technical tracks. Keep us posted, especially when its time for the Part out Party!

Or be sensible, stop itching for a bike just cause it/you would look cool, and get an R3 or other small bike, have tons of fun on it and actually learn to ride (not saying you cant on a bigger bike, but most experienced riders will agree a small bike teaches more things and at a faster rate than the bigger bikes.) All while avoiding most of what I wrote above.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page