RD350 nostalgia, will the R3 revive the thrill? - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

11Likes

post #1 of 23 Old 01-09-2016, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
RD350 nostalgia, will the R3 revive the thrill?

Is anyone here old enough to remember/ride the Yamaha RD 350/400 series of bikes? I'm pining for the nostalgia and thrill of a simple, fast, light, fun sport bike and the looks of the blue R3 and the parallel twin engine sure has me enamored. I'm a big proponent for the return to smaller affordable bikes here in the US.

I've owned dozens and dozens of bikes over the years. My latest project is the Rally Raid CB500X Adventure (a bunch of vids on YouTube-blancolirio), and am looking for a next project. I think it would be fun to mod up the R3 re Gregg Spears components and do some videos on the process.

So, would an R-3 revive the thrill of an RD350 from years gone by? What say ye old timers? lol

Thanks

Juan
Nevada City, CA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-09-2016, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Browne View Post
Is anyone here old enough to remember/ride the Yamaha RD 350/400 series of bikes?

Thanks

Juan
Nevada City, CA.

I'm sad to say.....yes!
Juan Browne likes this.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-09-2016, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I had an RD250, not the 350, but is was fun, fast (for the time), and exciting. I did love 2-strokes. Doing some comparisons using old issues of Cycle World the R3 is both faster (top end) and quicker (acceleration) than the RD350 (yes the 350). Surprising since the R3 is a 4-stroke and the RD350 a 2-stroke, and has more displacement. Technology has improved! If my memory serves me right about the RD, my R3 handles a lot better. One disappointing fact in the comparison is that the RD350 was lighter.

I think the R3 exceeds the standards set by the RD350. I really enjoy riding the R3.

An "Old Timer",
Greg
Juan Browne likes this.

Current Rides: 2013 Yamaha FJR1300 (Stone Gray), 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3 (Raven), 2016 Yamaha YZF-R1 (Matte Gray)

Last edited by gseeger; 01-09-2016 at 12:27 PM.

post #4 of 23 Old 01-09-2016, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Quote:
Is anyone here old enough to remember/ride the Yamaha RD 350/400 series of bikes? I'm pining for the nostalgia and thrill of a simple, fast, light, fun sport bike and the looks of the blue R3 and the parallel twin engine sure has me enamored. I'm a big proponent for the return to smaller affordable bikes here in the US.

I've owned dozens and dozens of bikes over the years. My latest project is the Rally Raid CB500X Adventure (a bunch of vids on YouTube-blancolirio), and am looking for a next project. I think it would be fun to mod up the R3 re Gregg Spears components and do some videos on the process.

So, would an R-3 revive the thrill of an RD350 from years gone by? What say ye old timers? lol

Thanks

Juan
Nevada City, CA.
Juan,

I'm just finishing up my version of the Rally Raid CB500X. Makes for a really nice, relatively light weight adventure bike. Photos soon....
Juan Browne likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-09-2016, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rito View Post
I'm sad to say.....yes!
I rode a few friend's RD's back in the 70's and I actually owned an RZ350 back in the mid-80s. Should never have sold it. It's one of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden.
Juan Browne likes this.

Last edited by FangShui; 01-09-2016 at 01:10 PM.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-09-2016, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Yahoo to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Skype™ to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY
Quote:

Thanks

Juan
Nevada City, CA.
I'm not old enough, but still older and not a young pup. My deceased brother (R.I.P. Perry) was 9 years older than me. In the late eighties when I was a kid, he had a Yamaha RD400 I believe. I think it was a 2-stroke. I remember that it was white and loud, and like crazy fast. Maybe it was an RD350, but I think I remember it being an RD400.

That's how I got started riding. My brother gave me rides on the back of his Suzuki RM125, RD400 and GSXR750. I remember being almost freaked out being on the back of the RD400. That's when I started saving for a dirt bike and started riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rito View Post
I'm sad to say.....yes!
Yes, indeed. I just dropped down from a CBR600RR to the R3, and just love it. Not only is it very practical as an everyday bike and for commuting, but its just a **** joy to ride especially in the twisties.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-09-2016, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
RDLC was out a couple yrs before I got my license,
but still have my RZ500 which was my first roadie.
Juan Browne likes this.

I blame the Internet.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-09-2016, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Garage
Here is an RD350 a couple of my friends put together and raced last year.

Like me on Facebook at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-11-2016, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
OK! well this sounds very promising....
Thanks for the responses!

Juan
Nevada City
post #10 of 23 Old 01-12-2016, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post
RDLC was out a couple yrs before I got my license,
but still have my RZ500 which was my first roadie.

RZ500 NICE. Don't see many in the US, but I was able to ride one once.

Aufitt likes this.

- 704-799-2192
See our complete >>
<<
Check out our Youtube Channel for Lots of Great Parts Installation >>
<<
Ohlins Premier Dealer, Great Prices, Tech.Support, Full Staff of Sales Reps, Fast WORLD WIDE Shipping,
Large Inventory and Excellent Customer Service.
Celebrating our 17th year in business

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page