User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By CBRpilot

post #1 of 4 Old 06-14-2016, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Labor/Warranty question

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area (mods may move if necessary).

I'm fairly new to the motorcycle world, bought a ninja 300 in 2014 and totaled it in 6mo and a month later bought a 2015 R3.

I'm at 12,XXXmi (yes u read that right! Over 12k in less than a year!) and went for a routine oil change at the dealership of purchase.

They told me I have an oil leak but they don't know where it's coming from so they said I would have to come back another time (cuz I couldn't leave my bike there at that moment). They apparently need to strip down the bike to figure out which side of the engine the leak is coming from.

So my question is: would this be something covered under warranty? And if it is would I still have to pay for labor, additional parts, etc?

Sorry for such a long post and noobie question...maybe cuz I'm one of those dumb girls that gets suckered at dealerships lol thanks for any and all advice in advance :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-14-2016, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Garage
You will not know if this is covered by warranty until they determine the problem and potentially, what caused it. For example, what if you did your own oil change and put the wrong filter on or stripped the drain plug (just examples, of course)
They will not charge you for anything they find that's covered under warranty but nothing is definitive until they know for sure what the problem is, and what caused it.

While the bike is under warranty, you are only responsible for damage you may have caused, or was caused by mods you have done to the bike. The burden would be on them however, to prove you caused the damage. The burden is NOT on you to prove you did not cause the damage.

In short, have them look at it and determine what's wrong. Typically, if it's something you need to cover, most shops will deduct the cost of labor spent finding the problem from the overall cost to repair it.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-23-2016, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem24x View Post
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area (mods may move if necessary).

I'm fairly new to the motorcycle world, bought a ninja 300 in 2014 and totaled it in 6mo and a month later bought a 2015 R3.

I'm at 12,XXXmi (yes u read that right! Over 12k in less than a year!) and went for a routine oil change at the dealership of purchase.

They told me I have an oil leak but they don't know where it's coming from so they said I would have to come back another time (cuz I couldn't leave my bike there at that moment). They apparently need to strip down the bike to figure out which side of the engine the leak is coming from.

So my question is: would this be something covered under warranty? And if it is would I still have to pay for labor, additional parts, etc?

Sorry for such a long post and noobie question...maybe cuz I'm one of those dumb girls that gets suckered at dealerships lol thanks for any and all advice in advance :P
How about an update on what the problem turned out to be?

post #4 of 4 Old 12-24-2016, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
How about an update on what the problem turned out to be?
Old post. She traded the R3 for a Busa months ago.
naripsta likes this.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue/Silver)
2012 Honda CBR1000RR (HRC Edition)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page