User Tag List

2Likes

post #1 of 20 Old 02-09-2016, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Best Time to Buy?

Hey guys,

First, I hope I am posting in the correct section. I've been following the Forum for a little while (registered a few weeks ago) and first want to thank everyone for the wealth of information that can be found on here.

As the title states what is the best time to buy an R3? I've been thinking about this for a while I will be getting ready to buy soon (hopefully). Spoke with a coworker of mine who also rides and he noted that best time to buy is March/April due to other riders wanting to "upgrade" and thus giving me a better shot on getting a deal. Is this true? I'm looking dealer because not many R3s in my area.

Thanks for any info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-09-2016, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
As soon as the 2016's hit the floor you can likely scoop up a 2015 for cheap if you can find a dealer that has one (mine does). The other good time to buy is in the fall, when bike sales take a dive. Spring is the worst time to buy because everyone else is too. If you are looking for a used one, then spring is better for trade-in availability, but not necessarily lower prices.

USBA/WERA Ex. #296
Perpetual back-marker

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spears Racing

Last edited by Stirz; 02-09-2016 at 10:20 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-09-2016, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
Here is one for sale with 600 miles in Red in Sacramento - Rancho Cordova $3995

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...ml&h=GAQELmRk3

2015 R3 and enjoying it.

Last edited by Braunbear66; 02-09-2016 at 10:42 PM.

post #4 of 20 Old 02-09-2016, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbear66 View Post
Here is one for sale with 600 miles in Red

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...ml&h=GAQELmRk3
salvage title.

Just go buy at the end of any month. Go in a few days early and touch base if need be and be ready to walk away. If the weekend falls a few days before months end that is the time to buy. They will want the unit sold more than the profit. They pay for the bike on the floor month to month so they will take into account they wont have to pay yamaha to stock it.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-09-2016, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
Spring and early summer is the worst time to buy from a dealership. Demand starts to peak for the season so prices skyrocket and dealers are much less likely to drop fees and stuff since they know if you don't buy the bike someone else will.

I wouldn't bank on the 2015 R3s dropping much in price at the dealership. If the Ninja 300 is any benchmark you can expect last year's model to drop maybe $500 while the 2016 bikes go for MSRP. Dealers might be willing to work on price and fees for a 2015 model but since the 2015/16 bike are pretty much exactly the same you won't see much of a price drop.

If I were you I would keep my eyes peeled for a used 2015 on your local craigslist, or even at your local dealership. You can save a ton of money buying used over new and still get a bike in fantastic condition. Same as with the dealerships, spring/summer will have higher prices but there will likely be more bikes available on the used market as people bring them out of storage or attempt to finance a new bike for the season.

I guess as far as best time to buy, it depends what you want. You should decide between a 2015 or 2016. If you want a 2015, see if you can buy one now used. Otherwise talk to your dealership and see where price you can get them to for a new 2015 compared to a new 2016, then go from there. At this point you can still benefit from low winter demand so I think buying now would be best if possible.
Kojiiro and beau_bygrace116 like this.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-09-2016, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

I definitely know I want a 2015 model. I started off wanting brand spanking new but not so much anymore as I would rather use the money saved for quality gear. The dealership near has a Red/White with 270 on the odometer going for $4699 and another Red/White with 1212 on the odometer for $4599. I will go tomorrow to simply "inquire" about these.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-10-2016, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_bygrace116 View Post
I definitely know I want a 2015 model. I started off wanting brand spanking new but not so much anymore as I would rather use the money saved for quality gear. The dealership near has a Red/White with 270 on the odometer going for $4699 and another Red/White with 1212 on the odometer for $4599. I will go tomorrow to simply "inquire" about these.
Only difference between those two is that the first bike is not broken in and the second one is past the first break in, approaching the second (or past the second, too?). While those mileages are essentially identical, you have no way of knowing if the second bike was broken in properly. Paying $100 more to do your own break in might give you some peace of mind and allow you to do it right, but you also have to suffer thought the break in period. Or you could pay $100 less and ride it hard right away and hope the other owner broke it in right. You definitely should ask for service records if you go for the second bike. The dealer has likely inspected it since its arrived but you'll want to know about the first 1200 miles too.

I would definitely push back on those prices, too. Those are a good deal for a used R3 if no fees are attached, but I paid just over $5k for my brand new one. you might be able to work the price lower when the 2016s hit the floor. Also check out craigslist for local used options. That salvage title one is a no-go for sure but you might find other good deals that can save you a few hundred bucks.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-10-2016, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vercify View Post
Only difference between those two is that the first bike is not broken in and the second one is past the first break in, approaching the second (or past the second, too?). While those mileages are essentially identical, you have no way of knowing if the second bike was broken in properly. Paying $100 more to do your own break in might give you some peace of mind and allow you to do it right, but you also have to suffer thought the break in period. Or you could pay $100 less and ride it hard right away and hope the other owner broke it in right. You definitely should ask for service records if you go for the second bike. The dealer has likely inspected it since its arrived but you'll want to know about the first 1200 miles too.

I would definitely push back on those prices, too. Those are a good deal for a used R3 if no fees are attached, but I paid just over $5k for my brand new one. you might be able to work the price lower when the 2016s hit the floor. Also check out craigslist for local used options. That salvage title one is a no-go for sure but you might find other good deals that can save you a few hundred bucks.
That said, there is no way to tell if the lower mileage one wasn't abused before the "break in mileage". In other words, just because it hasn't hit break in mileage yet doesn't mean it can't be broken. Doesn't mean anything is wrong, I myself bought 94 mile used bike, it just means not guarantees.

Those prices are a good deal if it's out the door. If not, just as you said, it's not much lower than brand new.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-10-2016, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojiiro View Post
That said, there is no way to tell if the lower mileage one wasn't abused before the "break in mileage". In other words, just because it hasn't hit break in mileage yet doesn't mean it can't be broken. Doesn't mean anything is wrong, I myself bought 94 mile used bike, it just means not guarantees.

Those prices are a good deal if it's out the door. If not, just as you said, it's not much lower than brand new.
Yeah I highly doubt these are OTD. Will be visiting that dealership later this morning and just get some info. Since this will be my first motorcycle I want as much peace of mind as possible. If something goes awry I'd rather it do so knowing it started with me rather than guessing if it could've began with previous owner. I'll keep you guys posted!!
post #10 of 20 Old 02-10-2016, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_bygrace116 View Post
Yeah I highly doubt these are OTD. Will be visiting that dealership later this morning and just get some info. Since this will be my first motorcycle I want as much peace of mind as possible. If something goes awry I'd rather it do so knowing it started with me rather than guessing if it could've began with previous owner. I'll keep you guys posted!!
Look into the Costco auto buying program if you go new. I used it on two kawasakis. Last I heard Yamaha is now doing it as well. Good savings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page