DEALERSHIP EXPERIENCE in Boston Area? - Page 3 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

15Likes

post #21 of 59 Old 04-23-2016, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
It might just be me but from Parkway what I found was their OTD didn't include taxes and registration. Their price was way too high $5500 and taxes after that. They didn't look like they were willing to work much on the pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 Old 04-23-2016, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AesonVirus View Post
To answer your question though, it depends...

If you are just buying the bike and taking it home on a trailer or in the back of the truck, you simply pay the price of the bike. Taxes will not be paid until you go to register the bike. This is why we can't go to NH, buy the bike there and bring it home to save on taxes. They're paid when you register at the RMV.

If you plan on having the dealership register the bike for you, taxes are paid then and there, and it becomes part of the OTD price.

Yeah, we went to the dealer just to checkout the bike (sit on a R3 before committing) and since we are first time buyers, we wanted to get an idea about how this dealing game is played..
Now we are (slightly more) educated and will be better prepared when we are ready to sign the papers. We didn't get to negotiating part because we aren't sure about our timeline to buy due to a few timing issues (traveling for work, etc.)

Anyway, I think since we will be buying the bike in MA, we should be negotiating OTD price all inclusive.

2016 Ducati 959 Panigale AWS
YZF-R3 2016 Matte Gray (sold)
post #23 of 59 Old 04-23-2016, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
I'm going to pay cash and ride off into the sunset with my bike paid in full. I doubt that buys me anything in terms of leverage with the dealerships but my only holdback right now is cash. I'll have half by the end of May and the remainder a few weeks into June.
Once I have enough cash in hand to begin negotiations, I'll start asking around to see who has the best deal. I expect to pick the bike up fully registered and insured, as you would when buying a new car. Shrewsbury says they can do all registration services right on sight. Not sure of the other dealers yet.
I'm still willing to drive out of my way for the best deal though. I plan on just tossing it into the back of my truck and getting it home that way.

post #24 of 59 Old 04-23-2016, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
My guess was that his dealer did enough volume that they were able to not charge the destination (freight) fee and doc fees. That was just my guess though.
Actually no. They are a small dealer if anything. Just good prices. Bike was $4990, taxes and reg was $400 at the RMV. I never stepped foot in the rmv though. My insurance did it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaypan View Post
Very naive question but I thought OTD price included all taxes, etc (sales tax). The dealer said that we will have to go to the RMV and pay the taxes there. Is that true?
If the dealer doesn't to in house registration then yes. The RMV will need to be visited by you, or your insurance agent.

Quote:
To answer your question though, it depends...
If you are just buying the bike and taking it home on a trailer or in the back of the truck, you simply pay the price of the bike. Taxes will not be paid until you go to register the bike. This is why we can't go to NH, buy the bike there and bring it home to save on taxes. They're paid when you register at the RMV.
If you plan on having the dealership register the bike for you, taxes are paid then and there, and it becomes part of the OTD price.

^This.

Besides the R3,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 59 Old 04-23-2016, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Bike was $4990, taxes and reg was $400 at the RMV.
Just to confirm, your dealer didn't charge you document or freight/destination fees?
Just the bike and sales tax/registration?
post #26 of 59 Old 04-23-2016, 08:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Just to confirm, your dealer didn't charge you document or freight/destination fees?
Just the bike and sales tax/registration?
Correct, the bike is $4990, out the door.

Besides the R3,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 59 Old 04-23-2016, 08:30 PM

Garage
To add to above. They don't do in house registration either. That had to be done via RMV.

Besides the R3,
post #28 of 59 Old 04-23-2016, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
This is the tag from a 2015 Rapid Red R3 sitting on the floor in Auburn, Ma right now
Sales Tax and Registration fees are not included in this price
post #29 of 59 Old 04-23-2016, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Correct, the bike is $4990, out the door.
That still saves me $500, even if I have to hit the registry myself.
Shrewsbury and Auburn both offer 10% off gear anytime after you buy a bike there but how often would I need to use that option to make up for the savings... plus I don't like most of the crap they have in their retail corner.
aaypan likes this.
post #30 of 59 Old 04-23-2016, 08:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
That still saves me $500, even if I have to hit the registry myself.
Shrewsbury and Auburn both offer 10% off gear anytime after you buy a bike there but how often would I need to use that option to make up for the savings... plus I don't like most of the crap they have in their retail corner.
Exactly. Besides, you can buy cheaper online..
aaypan likes this.

Besides the R3,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page