User Tag List

5Likes

post #21 of 29 Old 01-25-2017, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Also how are those black plastic side panels by the seat sitting there? It doesn't look like there are any screws to hold them in place.
Do you really need to put those back on for a race bike? I left them off, some weight saving

AFM #723
2017 Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 01-25-2017, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-Ram View Post
Do you really need to put those back on for a race bike? I left them off, some weight saving
Well then can I have yours cuz my bike didn't come with them?

They weight savings doesn't bother me. It's not rotational mass and they don't weigh much. I'll just take a dumb in the morning before the start of the day and it'll be about the same weight savings But the main reason I want them is to hide and protect all the wires I'll have in that area from my XT datalogger. I did the same thing with my 500, which also has panels in that area just like the R3. It just looks less messy that way.

2007 ZZR600 (street bike)
2010 1198 (race bike, parted out across the country)
2006 CBR600 (street/track, sold)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike, future race bike hopefully)

Sponsors:
post #23 of 29 Old 01-25-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Well then can I have yours cuz my bike didn't come with them?
All fairings have been packed up, so cant get just that piece only without opening all of them up

Messy is my middle name

AFM #723
2017 Sponsors:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 Old 01-28-2017, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So the Armor Bodies fit well without any modifications (aside from taking the side stand off)? I saw the Hotbodies requires a **** load of work and trimming to get it to fit well. Also how are those black plastic side panels by the seat sitting there? It doesn't look like there are any screws to hold them in place.
I too would like to hear feedback on the bodywork. I'm in the market and have been leaning the Armour Bodies way. How was the fit? Any modification needed?
post #25 of 29 Old 01-29-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stettnichs View Post
Quote:
So the Armor Bodies fit well without any modifications (aside from taking the side stand off)? I saw the Hotbodies requires a **** load of work and trimming to get it to fit well. Also how are those black plastic side panels by the seat sitting there? It doesn't look like there are any screws to hold them in place.
I too would like to hear feedback on the bodywork. I'm in the market and have been leaning the Armour Bodies way. How was the fit? Any modification needed?
The new 2 piece tail design is great from what i hear. I have the older one piece design and still ok.

Fit was great, just grilled in middle of all recessed hole spots, lined up great, no issues. Had to trim the lowers a bit to fit better. Nothing a dremmel can't do

For R3, armor bodies us one of the best options out there
cignul9 likes this.
post #26 of 29 Old 01-29-2017, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
This is so awesome, I love seeing your work. You must have a great job where you can comfortably do all this work and really have fun! I aspire to be that way someday, I just have to get rolling on my opportunities once I'm out of the Navy.
post #27 of 29 Old 04-04-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

So this thread hasn't been updated in forever. Sorry about that! I've been super busy lately. I'll hit some questions now, and I'll post some updates with new things here shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpanda1 View Post
good looking build what brand an size rubber are you running on there
Stock sizes right now, 110/70 front, 140/70 rear. Bridgestone S20 evo tires. They held up well, they stick nicely and give pretty good front end feel. I'll likely try out Dunlop alpha-13 next, as I have a buddy running those on his KTM390 and he loves them.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stettnichs View Post
The Armor Bodies fit amazing. The two piece tail design is unreal amounts of awesome. I can just pop off the back with three dzus fasteners and tinker around in there without having to remove the whole tail.
I had to do a little bending and stretching because my bike is a salvage bike and the stock fairing stay was a tad... bent all to **** and back. The black plastic panels are just sitting there. There's a single screw in the back by the seat that holds them on, and I didn't bother drilling the hole for the front. They don't flop around at all. I'm sure if I go down they're coming off, but that's the least of the worries.

I've got a Graves fairing stay coming, and I'm hoping that will help with any of the remaining fitment issues. The only other issue I've seen with the bodywork is that the exhaust pipe touches the bottom of the lower. I've got it coated with heat tape, but it COULD burn through if I'm not careful. I've tried moving the pipe a bit, but it always returns to the lower position, so I guess I'm kinda stuck with it there.

Track season is kicking back up now, so there will be more updates soon.

Last edited by cignul9; 04-04-2017 at 02:53 PM.
post #28 of 29 Old 04-04-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinXonXfire View Post
This is so awesome, I love seeing your work. You must have a great job where you can comfortably do all this work and really have fun! I aspire to be that way someday, I just have to get rolling on my opportunities once I'm out of the Navy.
Thanks man! Former Marine here. I got out in 2000. I love working on the bikes and tinkering in the garage, so having that ability is awesome for sure.
Kojiiro likes this.
post #29 of 29 Old 04-05-2017, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cignul9 View Post
Thanks man! Former Marine here. I got out in 2000. I love working on the bikes and tinkering in the garage, so having that ability is awesome for sure.
Hoorah Devil Dog!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page