Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Raven YFZ-R3

31K views 74 replies 14 participants last post by  Junpower 
#1 ·
Hello R3 forum members,
I decided to start a blog on my R3 and here I am!
Got the Raven on July 18th 2015, went to the Capitol Yamaha dealer looking for a dual-sport and left with a R3!
I put about 120 miles on the bike now.
Just got insurance today from my cousin at Farmers insurance.
Full coverage, $250 deductible for $660 a year! Not so bad considering I never had/got my M1 license. I will get my M1 then get a discount later.
Well riding off to the dealer to pick up my registration and plates!

Photos in the dealer before I brought the bike home and it's own personal garage.
>:D

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I been throwing around the idea of some longer travel forks and rear suspension and/or swing arm in the future but will keep it a street machine for now.
So the day after I bought the bike I noticed coolant leaking onto the panel above the shifter right under the overflow bottle.
Maybe they over filled it? I went back 2 days later last Monday and had them check it out before I cleaned it off. They washed it for me and when I got home it was the same. Washed it off a second time and on the way to the dealer the same problem. I checked the level after riding (engine warm) and it is now at the level indicator mark in middle of the bottle. I will go back in again tomorrow and have them check it out. I asked and they said nobody has had this problem so maybe it's just my R3? Maybe when they filled, it was topped off to much? We'll see how this turns out before I add any modifications to the bike. Anybody else have this happen? I hope it was just overfilled but it's also making a mess and stains on the parts which I do not like.

Attachments

#4 ·
Just got back from a 100 mile ride after visiting the dealer. So it turns out the overflow lid wasn't snapped on properly snapped it back on and it stopped leaking. I did get a great discount on some Yamaha parts that I ordered through the dealer on the "shopyamaha.com" site.

Red/Black Jacket
R3 Frame Slider kit
R3 Radiator screen
R3 Grips
Rear seat cowl
SS braided "Yamaha" lines Front/Back
Performance Filter
Free Logo Tee

Should all be in next week. I was tempted to buy the R3 branded Yoshi slip on but after asking them if having a full racing exhaust with no cats was okay. green light!

#6 · (Edited)
Hey Stirz,

Well, It was my idea that all bikes are shipped to the dealers dry then filled with coolant and oil. The mechanic said they were filled in japan then test ridden..? Well obvious the Yamaha technician doesn't know squat about the R3 because it says "Made in Indonesia" Well anyways after they snapped the lid shut it stopped but I was riding around for about 140 miles that way, I made sure I the coolant leak stains were documented by the dealer just in case. I did take it back 2 days after I bought it and they just washed it off. when I went in the 3rd time the mechanic told me to wait 20 minutes when he could have just taken a look right away rather then making me wait. The 3rd time, yesterday, I went in to get this issue resolved they told me they are busy and 2 weeks out.They asked me to leave my cycle there which I said no to. I told them if I keep riding this bike and I end up slipping or dropping the bike it will be their fault for letting me ride away from the dealer with a coolant leak. I told them it isn't hard to take off the plastic cover and take a look ASAP. I think they got the point. At the same time I got the sales man who sold me the cycle to agree and command those grease monkeys to get to work. >:D
The same mechanic that didn't take a quick look at my bike and made me wait actually got some choice words from me yesterday. He has definitely caused this dealer to loose my business so after I receive all my discounted accessories I will tell the sales guy that I am taking my business elsewhere for parts and service if needed
(unless I keep getting a discount). I have a hard time trusting a shop that has a rude and arrogant mechanic even if he doesn't touch my bike.

#7 · (Edited)
It's 2am and I am shopping for some parts still.
Here is my shopping list for the evening.
Seems that Yoshimura is going to get some dollars from me. The colors match my bike well.

R-77 Full race exhaust system (Carbon Can) $606.79
Works Edition Clutch Inspection Plug $19.64
Works Edition Oil Filler Plug $20.46
Works Edition Stand Stoppers $27.84
Fender Eliminator Kit $107.86

Grand Total = $782.59

2:22 AM, heading to the bank to make a quick deposit :D

I decided to leave the Yoshimura Fender Eliminator out so total was $674.73
I might get it later but thought boots will be nice for now since I already put 2 holes on the insides of my old sneakers. :laugh:

#8 ·
Got bored today so I did some vinyl wrap to the plastic insert between the front and rear seat with flat black I had left over from a clients car.
I also had another piece just right for the front windscreen, no problem with the slightly smaller sight picture and I barely tuck my head under the shield for now. I can easily take it off if it becomes a problem.

Attachments

#12 ·
Got only 230 miles and the coolant is leaking again.
They ordered me another tank cap. If it leaks one more time I am not sure what to do. This is the 3rd time in under a month I am going in for this, getting pretty tired of seeing the dealer. This time I am asking for some free stuff!:mad:

Attachments

#14 ·
Not hard at all, it is about 100 F degrees in the day but I am moving 90% of the time and always cool down for 5 minutes before parking it at home, most of the time I ride at night since there are less cars and it's cooler. The first time the dealer said that the coolant bottle cap was not on tight, they popped it on and it helped but again it started leaking, not as bad but I called the dealer immediately to make sure they know and have been very cooperative in handling this problem. The new cap should be here on Tuesday when I will be picking up a bunch of aftermarket Yamaha accessories from my last visit for this problem but who knows if I'll even get a chance to put them on.
I did get 3 of the 5 items I ordered last week, R-77 full exhaust and oil cap should be in on Tuesday but I won't be able to install anything till this issue is addressed and I have fully broken the bike in. Still deciding on a ECU.
Maybe I can talk them into more parts.

Attachments

#17 ·
I have the same issue with coolant leak, just found it so haven't tried anything yet. Bike has been ridden gently by a new rider, only other issue has been a horrible burning smell for the first 100km which I assume is normal (exhaust coating?). Coolant appears to be slightly over-filled (with bike level it's a few mm over the "full" marker).

Let me know if you find a solution! I'm assuming that reinstalling the cap is a simple do-it-yourself job and that a replacement part wasn't required? I won't be able to take mine to the dealer until next week :(

#18 · (Edited)
Hey LAMchops,
The first time I went in at 90 miles was 2 days after I bought the bike. They washed it off and sent me on my way then I had the same leak soon after on my 7 mile trip home . At 181 miles, 5 days after I bought the bike they removed the fairings then found that the lid was not shut/sealed completely/properly. They told me it came this way so someone there couldn't have done it. Ok, well 2 days later the same problem. I told the dealer and he said they ordered a brand new cap and that it may be defective. If the problem persists after this I may be calling someone who knows a little about the lemon law.

Update 11am-1pm riding August 2 2015:
Went for another 50 mile break-in ride and the leak went away, not one dribble today. guess I will ride another 50 miles tomorrow and see what happens before i head into the dealer for the new cap. Still very happy, my full exhaust and other parts should be here this week.

#19 · (Edited)
R3 won my heart but I have been having a few issues.I got home with 358 miles on it now. I heard weird sounds coming from the rear and noticed the chain free play is like 3" now on the bottom and the chain guard around the sprocket is lopsided. Also leaks coolant constantly since 7 miles. They haven't gotten the new cap in yet. So it is fun to ride these last weeks but the issues are annoying me. I may push for an exchange, meeting the owner of the dealership this week. Maybe the fishtail I had yesterday was from coolant dripping right in front of the rear wheel. NOT SAFE!:(
Keep you guys updated but here are photos of the mess it's been constantly making. I've wiped these stains off after every single ride! Pretty annoying and I am not cleaning it anymore:mad::mad: Now that the lower part of the chain sags like 3-4 inches and makes noises I don't feel safe riding it and may make them pay for a tow. I even got my full R-77 Carbon Can exhaust today and I won't be able to install it since the bike is not 100% I guess this one is a lemon guys! lol

Attachments

#20 ·
My visible leak looks identical - haven't managed to check more thoroughly - quite a mess down there on your bike! Coolant can't be good for the chain...

Sorry for not replying, forgot my password and have been busy. Will hopefully pull the covers off and update on findings this weekend.

#25 · (Edited)
LAMchops, that burning smell is cosmoline put on at the factory as a rust/ corrosion inhibitor. These bikes are shipped across the great salty pond. You can burn it off in @ 800-1000 mi, or you can spray your whole bike down (special attention to the engine area) with S-100, then hose it off to get rid of the smell sooner. If you opt for the latter, don't forget to lube your chain and cables.

Junpower, somebody commented in another thread that installing the left fairing can potentially unscrew/ loosen the coolant overflow reservoir cap, if not done cautiously.

#26 · (Edited)
So at 1pm the dealer sent someone to pick up my bike from home and haul it away. After arriving at the dealer and speaking with the owner and my salesman, I decided to leave the bike there. they kept playing off like all bikes chains stretch but this must this fast is interesting. Also was promised a full detail and all issues resolved the next time I pick up the motorcycle. I'll be ordering the rest of the available accessories but got to pick up everything they had available to order today. Yami levers and engine protection covers next!
The last photo, we all know which bike this is. R1!
They sold the R1M already so I was a little disappointed not to see it there. I think that's my next bike.
Now I have this box full of parts and more on the way but no bike to put them onto!
Oh for the love please fix my bike to 100% lol

Attachments

#28 ·
Did you buy one and where is this at T-RAV?

1:45pm :The dealer just called me and said the bike has been fixed and is ready to go! I am looking forwards to seeing it and hope I can at least get it up to 600 miles and do the first oil change before I have to take it back for warranty issues. Updates soon. I can get to installing my Vagabond fender eliminator.

#30 · (Edited)
Picked up the moto from dealer at 5pm.
They did not completely clean the coolant stains off and that annoying wobbly chain guard wasn't touched either. I will be removing that SOB when I swap sprockets.
Rode the bike home and seems like the new cap is working and I am a happy camper. Now I can get back to worrying about breaking it in.
Last time I will take it to this dealer for any warranty work.
I hope I never have to see the service center for warranty again but if I do I have the extended plan and another dealer the same distance from me. >:D

HOME SWEET HOME
I hope this is where the FUN BEGINS!

Attachments

#33 ·
8-10-2015 Vagabond Fender Eliminator & Rear Cowl Installed

Got to installing the Vagabond Rear Fender Eliminator last night.
It's a quality piece and sturdy. I also added the OEM side reflectors so I can stay CA legal. I used the OEM bracket and it attaches with the plate nut/bolts.
Easily removable.
Enjoy the photos!

Attachments

#34 ·
Got to installing the Vagabond Rear Fender Eliminator last night.
It's a quality piece and sturdy. I also added the OEM side reflectors so I can stay CA legal. I used the OEM bracket and it attaches with the plate nut/bolts.
Easily removable.
Enjoy the photos!
Looking good!

Have you seen this thread? He used the stock bracket as well, but cut part off and angled the reflectors to match the angle of the F.E.

Still legal but a bit cleaner looking and more aero.

http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/713-...-reflectors-w-vegabond-fender-eliminator.html

#36 ·
Just got my r3 last Monday at 0 miles and had the same issue with the coolant at 120 miles new rider not going to lie I've ripped it a few times but other then that babying it. had to take it in Saturday to have it looked at hopefully I get it back and it's done and fixed the first time. Also it may just be me but have you experienced the oil indicator being on my oil light is on when the key is turned which is normal but also even when I fire it up it's still on till I tip the bike up right.

#38 · (Edited)
I was on Salmon Falls Rd.
I wasn't speeding or anything but took my eyes off the road for one second to look down at the gear indicator and shift, when I looked back up I was drifting towards the outside.I tried to lean and turn it back into the road but with the oncoming truck and I was basically riding on the edge with half the tire and knew leaning back towards the road it would low side off the edge and before i could think, I was in dirt turnoff locking up the brakes f/r and going down.
(Wish I had ABS)
Feel like a total noob today. My only save was not going down on the curb/asphalt.

Damage wasn't bad, was able to ride home after bending the shift and clutch lever back. fairings didn't crack, nothing fell off the bike except the signal, lost the locking tab but time to get new rear sets, signals. I am ready for my first oil change so I will be completely taking the body off and inspecting/wash & detail everything. Taking inventory of the damaged parts and thinking maybe a new paint job or replace everything back to original. It's cheap enough and I can have a spare set of plastics for a custom color, Pearl White?
Video
https://youtu.be/HlW5XLycMkM

Attachments

#42 · (Edited)
I am good guys, Thank You:D
My knee feels much better today, no swelling or bruises.
I remembered I had a clip from installing my rear fender eliminator and used it to reattach the front signal, hosed it down and wiped her off. Rode around the block and runs and feels the same, looks, well.....lol
Going riding now!

Attachments

#45 ·
Completed my first 600 mile oil change at exactly 600 miles.
I ended up initially putting in about 2.5qt then properly leveled it off at 2.75 qt is where I felt happy. Went by a Yamaha Dealer (not the one I bought the bike from) and picked up 3 qt. of Yamalube 10-40, an oil filter and crush washer, some MOTUL chain cleaner and lube.

https://youtu.be/0LOH4BpRUk0

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.