what are some essential first mods? - Page 2 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

30Likes

post #11 of 59 Old 05-17-2015, 11:11 AM
r3-forums.com Vendor

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Frame sliders don't really do anything when you crash, they don't protect the bodywork, it gets rashed up anyway, and they don't protect the frame. In my experience, they only cause more damage to the frame by bending or breaking the motor mounts or frame where they attach. They also sometimes cause a gently lowsiding bike to flip over because they catch the edge of the track or the dirt as it slides, causing far more damage to the bike. I have never seen them cause less damage to a crashed bike that was going more than a few miles per hour. Case guards and tank sliders will do far more to protect your sliding bike and will not cause additional damage. Have you ever seen frame sliders on a pro race team's bike?

Vortex has clip-ons out already which I'll be testing here shortly, but most of the companies are still building all the other hard parts such as rear sets, levers, case covers, etc. They will all be out in the next month or 2 I'm sure and you'll here from me as soon as any of them are available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piperman View Post
I haven't been able to find any levers or rearsets from Vortex or Woodcraft for this bike. Nor much of anything else that I am looking for, I bought this bike for track riding.
Need to find some brakelines and grips.

Why don't you like frame sliders on the track?
I'm curious for the reasoning, probably something that I haven't thought of.
EcoRider likes this.

Cheers,
Jesse

Follow my build and racing at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The most complete resource for information and race parts for the Yamaha R3.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jbluetooth; 05-17-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 Old 05-18-2015, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Nick,

The first "mods" regardless of what you're using the bike for is always............Springs and Sprockets.

Track, Street, On/Off Road or Adventure.............always springs and sprockets first. Think that bike your on was sprung for your weight or any other members weight and application? Nope. Nada. Uh uh........ It's sprung for a 140 lbs rider in the rear to a 280lbs in the front. Why? Because every manufacturer wants to sell them safely to everyone who wants one!

You got an extra 550 bucks, R/R the front and rear springs, See if you like the RPMS on the road at highway speed, or is this just for a city application? The gearing up or down will make it more responsive or less noisy/vibrations at max!

Cheers and enjoy the machine!

Long Live the King! ... and The R3 Forum Members!
post #13 of 59 Old 05-18-2015, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Only essential 'Mod' is a Novice track day (or ten) with full coaching.

I blame the Internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 59 Old 05-18-2015, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Rider training always...

I'm not knocking your skills, i am a newb myself. Knowing your bike and how to control it will yield more thrills than any mod can give.

2015 R3
2014 R6
post #15 of 59 Old 05-18-2015, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Oh ok, I see what you mean now, I was thinking all sliders, just the stupid frame slider pucks. I have been trying to find some case guards that would fit, haven't seen any tank guards from anyone either. Probably down the road, also waiting to see when the body kits are going to be out.

I saw the Vortex clip-ons, interested in them, will wait to see what you think of them. Will probably be putting the Yoshi full system on, to cut some weight there also, I don't care for the Akra GP pipe so much.
I was surprised that there aren't that many high end tires in the size to fit this bike.

I'm looking at putting the Annitori QS and the ZFi on this bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbluetooth View Post
Frame sliders don't really do anything when you crash, they don't protect the bodywork, it gets rashed up anyway, and they don't protect the frame. In my experience, they only cause more damage to the frame by bending or breaking the motor mounts or frame where they attach. They also sometimes cause a gently lowsiding bike to flip over because they catch the edge of the track or the dirt as it slides, causing far more damage to the bike. I have never seen them cause less damage to a crashed bike that was going more than a few miles per hour. Case guards and tank sliders will do far more to protect your sliding bike and will not cause additional damage. Have you ever seen frame sliders on a pro race team's bike?

Vortex has clip-ons out already which I'll be testing here shortly, but most of the companies are still building all the other hard parts such as rear sets, levers, case covers, etc. They will all be out in the next month or 2 I'm sure and you'll here from me as soon as any of them are available

2015 Yamaha R3 Blue/Silver
2015 BMW K1300S Motorsport
2016 BMW R1200RS Granite
post #16 of 59 Old 05-19-2015, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
My process, as a non racer, focused on economic and relaxed street riding, would be:

-check air filter at high RPM. If the engine sucks the filter out of my hands, it's creating enough 'vacuum', to change the air filter.
If the filter does not offer a lot of resistance, even at 10k rpm, I leave it in.

- I would adjust pegs, brake, gear pedal, handlebar height, levers, mirrors, suspension, and if possible windshield, to fit my desires.

-I would only change the stock exhaust, for sound/noise purposes, or for weight purposes. But generally would leave it stock.
I want to save money, so leave as much stock as I can. Exhaust is a low priority mod for me anyway, since I don't see myself taking the bike all out.

- I would determine my sprockets, based on how I want to ride it. From fuel friendly (max eco), to top speed centered, or somewhere in between, that makes the bike ride fine at city speeds!
More than likely, I will want at least 20-25% better fuel efficiency at low speeds, and gear it like that.

- I would mix and match oil weight. Between 5w30 and 10w40, to find my perfect mixture.

- I would buy crash protection pegs and studs, and install them.

- On my non-R3 bikes I usually try to find luggage or storage options, since I often do longer rides.

- smaller gadgets, like throttle cruise control clamp, or something..
post #17 of 59 Old 05-19-2015, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmeister View Post
Nick,

The first "mods" regardless of what you're using the bike for is always............Springs and Sprockets.

Depends,
If you're going to mod the engine's performance, sprockets should be changed after.
You can do sprockets in the beginning, but if through a fuel remapping, better air filter, and timing advance change you can change the engine's performance, you'd have to re-gear the bike.
post #18 of 59 Old 05-19-2015, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I want to change the sprockets, +1 and -2. Anyone find a source that is selling them yet?
post #19 of 59 Old 05-19-2015, 10:37 AM

Probably a whole lot of front sprockets available on ebay or Amazon.
You just got to get the right one.

Rear sprockets you can buy the $50-75 high grade aluminum sprockets, or double the price for titanium ones.
I don't know if rebelgears has them in their catalog yet, but you could always send measurments of the stock sprocket, or send them the stock sprocket, and ask them to make the new tooth count sprocket.

I have no experience with the titanium sprocket manufacturers, since most of my riding is city, and I usually baby my bikes.
(They cost too much money)
post #20 of 59 Old 05-21-2015, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
First thing that I changed on mine was the mirrors. I put bar end mirrors which helped out a lot on my vision. I can see a lot more which Is good for safety. And for looks vagabond fender eliminator and led turn signals. Up next for me will be ss brake lines. For exhaust mine already came with Yoshimura R3 from the dealer, if not exhaust is always important to me...I like people to hear me coming. Mainly It all depends on what you are trying to go for, looks, Safety or performance in my opinion. What's most important to you?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page