45Likes

post #11 of 48 Old 06-28-2016, 08:11 PM
r3-forums.com Vendor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalview View Post
Noticed you routed the brake line in front of the fork. I would move it so it is behind the fork in order to avoid any contact our pulling problems while turning. Especially tight turns where you go to the steering stops.

Just unbolt the caliper to fix it. No need to remove the line.
I wouldn't stress over moving it. It works fine both ways. I run it in front of the fork like this, that's how my "How to" shows to do it. With the length and shape of the line and fittings, this provides the cleanest install in my opinion. There's plenty of room for full range of motion. But obviously guys do it inside the fork too, so it seems to work fine both ways. I just didn't like how I would have had to twist and align the line to get the fittings to line up when you go inside the fork.

Jesse
Ruby likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 Old 06-28-2016, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Garage
Ahhh, I see.
Ruby likes this.

Like me on Facebook at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 48 Old 09-18-2016, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
Cool Updates

Sooooo, things have changed a bit so I need to update this thread. I've had multiple track days now, and I'm making out to the local track almost every other week. Needless to say, I'm addicted. Because of this, the R3 is no longer a street bike.

After my first couple of track days I saw a need to change the clipons, again, to something more forward and lower. While the Vortex felt good I still felt cramped when it came to getting down on the tank and moving around for turns. I went with Woodcrafts and mounted under the triple tree along with the Graves steering stop. This was the first move to taking the bike off the street as the steering stop limits maneuverability quite a bit at slow speed. A few more times on the track, and I decided to go ahead just dedicate my riding to track...at least until I get a second bike.

While I love Jesse's rearset risers I decided to go all out with a set from Sato. My first time out I could really tell the difference from the factory rearsets, and any reservations about spending $500 for foot controls went out the window. Unfortunately, I made a stupid mistake and forgot to locktite a single bolt connecting the shift lever to the shift rod. Luckily, nothing came loose all day until my last session. After the checkered flag flew I was just cruising around back towards the pits when I started feeling something hitting my left foot. I looked down and noticed the the shift rod dragging along the track surface and the shift lever swinging freely. Back in the paddock shifting the bike back into neutral, from third, by hand so I could load it on the trailer wasn't much fun. When replacing parts I decided to change to GP shift as well.

Also, at the same time that I ordered the rearsets I decided to get track fairings. I didn't have allot of time to work on the bike till this past week so they sat in a box for about a month. So this week I finally spent about three days mounting and painting them. Talk about a major project! I had no idea it would take so much work, but it's well worth it.

Finally, talking to Jesse about what else to do with my R3 he suggested a steering damper and slipper clutch. TBH, I hadn't really considered the damper, but after doing some research I decided to pull the trigger. It also helps that it was the less expensive of the two options A slipper clutch is definitely in my future though, along with a quick shifter and Bazzaz AFM.

Tomorrow will be my first day on track with the damper and new bodywork. I can already tell that the taller seat height will be a blessing! Tomorrow can't come soon enough!!

I'll try to get some pictures in the sun tomorrow as the paint has a bit of sparkle to it under the sun.

PS I do have suspension bits on order (damper rod kit with emulators and Jesse's revalved R6 shock), but it seems Traxxion Dynamics is rather backed up so I don't have estimate as to when I'll be receiving those.

-Rachael

Last edited by Ruby; 09-18-2016 at 04:53 PM.

post #14 of 48 Old 09-18-2016, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Ruby,

What pushed you over the edge to get a steering damper? What made you get a linear vs a rotary? I just can't pull the trigger on it yet. Need reasons!

I installed the yoyo slipper from Jesse. I love it, and will need it when I switch to GP shift like you.

He also got me into a Penske shock with Andreani fork rebuild, so I'm excited to hear your experience with your setup.

Are there any 12 step programs to ween us off the R3 addiction?
post #15 of 48 Old 09-20-2016, 07:30 AM

Garage
Save your money on the slipper. Instead go to YCRS. They now offer a one day class for @ $500. That will be good for any bike you ride.

While a slipper is really nice. If you aren't racing I don't think I would spend that kind of money.
Gizmo likes this.

Like me on Facebook at

post #16 of 48 Old 09-20-2016, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Love the build and first hand experience with everything! What are you doing with your old risers? I'd love to take them off your hands =D
post #17 of 48 Old 09-21-2016, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Pisano View Post
Ruby,

What pushed you over the edge to get a steering damper? What made you get a linear vs a rotary?
Honestly, I was just looking to spend some more money. My birthday is this month so I wanted to treat myself. A big part of it is that the track I ride regularly is very bumpy. I've had a few instances where the front got twitchy at corner entry and mid corner because of the bumps. Another thing is the ability to just add some stability mid-corner. I know this is something that is more due to poor rider ability/technique so the damper is just a band-aide, but it made a big difference in my confidence when I went out this past Monday.

Quote:
Save your money on the slipper. Instead go to YCRS. They now offer a one day class for @ $500. That will be good for any bike you ride.

While a slipper is really nice. If you aren't racing I don't think I would spend that kind of money.
I'll admit that I totally agree with you that training would be a much better way to spend money. I have had the rear lock up momentarily or chatter a little bit due to poor rev matching. The main reason I'd get a slipper is to lessen the probability of that happening. It doesn't happen often; of the maybe 20 laps I did on Monday it happened twice. I guess it's a peace-of-mind thing, for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineeringAnon View Post
Love the build and first hand experience with everything! What are you doing with your old risers? I'd love to take them off your hands =D
Thanks! I actually already sold the risers to someone, sorry

-Rachael

post #18 of 48 Old 09-21-2016, 09:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
I'll admit that I totally agree with you that training would be a much better way to spend money. I have had the rear lock up momentarily or chatter a little bit due to poor rev matching. The main reason I'd get a slipper is to lessen the probability of that happening. It doesn't happen often; of the maybe 20 laps I did on Monday it happened twice. I guess it's a peace-of-mind thing, for me.
I agree that the steering damper is a safety issue. Plus many race orgs are now making them mandatory before being allowed on track.

The slipper is just going to cover up a skill deficiency. It is going to take time to get better at it. I know it seems like piece of mind, but fixing the real problem is what you really need to do.

When/if you get a new bike you are going to have to address the problem then. Or end up spending another $800 for a slipper for that bike.
Ruby likes this.

Like me on Facebook at

post #19 of 48 Old 09-21-2016, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
The slipper is just going to cover up a skill deficiency. It is going to take time to get better at it. I know it seems like piece of mind, but fixing the real problem is what you really need to do.

When/if you get a new bike you are going to have to address the problem then. Or end up spending another $800 for a slipper for that bike.

Good point! Practice, practice, practice!
Gizmo likes this.

-Rachael

post #20 of 48 Old 10-04-2016, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New bits came in today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goggles Pisano likes this.

-Rachael

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page