Ruby's Street & (Occasional) Track Build - Page 3 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

46Likes

post #21 of 48 Old 10-05-2016, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Very nice. Following your build close. Enjoy your posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 Old 10-16-2016, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Hey Ruby!

Your name IRL begins with an R as well, right? I don't want to post it for privacy concerns.

I saw that you went down today at H2R. Hope you and the bike are okay! I'll raise one to a speedy recovery!
Ruby likes this.
post #23 of 48 Old 10-16-2016, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Yup, that was me. I went to the emergency room and got x-rays of my left hand and a CAT scan of my head since I lost a good 15 minutes of my memory. Good news is my head is fine; bad news is I broke my hand.
The bike came out better than I did. Cracked bodywork is the only damage.
Thanks for the well wishes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matrix22 likes this.

-Rachael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 48 Old 10-16-2016, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about your crash. Get well soon!

Post medical images!
Ruby likes this.
post #25 of 48 Old 10-17-2016, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Garage
That sucks. Hope you heal up fast!

Do you know what happened?
Ruby likes this.

Like me on Facebook at

post #26 of 48 Old 10-17-2016, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
Yup, that was me. I went to the emergency room and got x-rays of my left hand and a CAT scan of my head since I lost a good 15 minutes of my memory. Good news is my head is fine; bad news is I broke my hand.
The bike came out better than I did. Cracked bodywork is the only damage.
Thanks for the well wishes!
Oh no!!! Glad it was only a broken hand and nothing more serious than that but that sucks.
You usually video your rides. Did you capture what happened? The only good that can come from this is learning from any mistakes that were made.

Heal fast!
Ruby likes this.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

post #27 of 48 Old 10-17-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the concern everyone! ❤️

From what I can remember, and from my helmet cam, I was coming into a turn and when I reached my braking point the bike didn't slow down fast enough. I remember pumping my front brake and not having much there. I remember reaching for the rear brake before hitting the edge of the track, and in the video you can hear it lock. As soon as I hit the edge I went down.
I don't remember anything beyond reaching for the rear brake. My helmet cam kept recording so there's a good 20-25 minutes that went by that I don't remember. I am a bit glad I don't remember the fall. In the video I'm gasping for air so I know I got the wind knocked out of me. I definitely went down hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Rachael

post #28 of 48 Old 10-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
Were you still on the factory brakes?
I've only had to slam my brakes on once and by the time the bike came to a complete stop, I was 25 ft in front of the car that was once in front of me. Scared the crap out of me. I was riding home with a friend from work and he still talks about it from time to time.

The R3's brakes are a complete joke. They slow you down, yes... eventually.
Goggles Pisano likes this.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

post #29 of 48 Old 10-17-2016, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Vesrah pads and braided line. This is the first time I've had issues, and I've gotten on the brakes pretty hard before. For some reason I had very little pressure when I hit the brakes. When I got back to my bike, before going to the ER, I checked the lever and it felt fine. I don't know if I managed to glaze the pads or boil the fluid (Galfer DOT-4). When I'm able to work on the bike again I'll replace the fluid with Motul and check/replace the pads. I've been thinking of getting the Magura master cylinder from Spears so maybe this is a sign.

-Rachael

post #30 of 48 Old 10-17-2016, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I started with improving the brakes as you and many others did. Braided lines and Vesrah pads. I noticed an improvement, but I still couldn't feel anything. I then changed to a Galfer wave rotor. Then added Brembo P4 brakes to replace the stock. Then added the RC15 master cyclinder.

We know that on the track, we can understand the limitations and drive accordingly. On the street, unexpected things happen and brakes need to be the best they can be. I wanted to see how good I could get the brakes, compared to an R6, a FJR1300 and a BMW S1000RR.

This is your thread, so let me know if you want to know my opinions on each step.
Ruby likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page