Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
I like the hi-viz yellow
Ruby and Gizmo like this.

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Lightech Rear Turns, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 Old 10-24-2016, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AesonVirus View Post
I like the hi-viz yellow

Rossi yellow?
Ruby likes this.
post #43 of 48 Old 10-24-2016, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Ruby, glad you are okay for the most part. There's always good and not so good about not remembering the crash. Good is you wont be scared in that turn again, bad that you wont be able to know what mistake you made and rectify the technique issue.

Anyways, when was the last time you bled the brakes? You should try to bleed them every other trackday if possible. Thats my finding on the R3. Somehow, if not bled very regularly, it gets spongy. I didnt bleed after my last race round and on Friday all day (next race round), brakes were very spongy with no feel. By afternoon, the lever went all the way to the throttle and I barely had brakes, but ti taught me how fast I could enter the last corner, hahaha. Went straight back in to the pits and didnt ride till brakes were bled thoroughly. I found 3 huge bubble right at the calipers.

Upgrading to better components is all great and fine, but knowing/determining what caused spongy brakes would be best in my view. I dont think I can out ride stock brake master or calipers yet.

Any more stopping power and I would be slowing way too much before the turns, something for you to think about. These small bikes (at the track) do not need great brakes. Just enough to scrub some speed.

AFM #723
2017 Sponsors:

post #44 of 48 Old 10-28-2016, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AesonVirus View Post
I like the hi-viz yellow
I thought that would be kind of cute and fit with a moto theme

Quote:
Originally Posted by VULGR View Post
Rossi yellow?
Haha, a friend told me to put some Rossi stickers on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Rachael

post #45 of 48 Old 10-28-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-Ram View Post
Ruby, glad you are okay for the most part. There's always good and not so good about not remembering the crash. Good is you wont be scared in that turn again, bad that you wont be able to know what mistake you made and rectify the technique issue.

Anyways, when was the last time you bled the brakes? You should try to bleed them every other trackday if possible. Thats my finding on the R3. Somehow, if not bled very regularly, it gets spongy. I didnt bleed after my last race round and on Friday all day (next race round), brakes were very spongy with no feel. By afternoon, the lever went all the way to the throttle and I barely had brakes, but ti taught me how fast I could enter the last corner, hahaha. Went straight back in to the pits and didnt ride till brakes were bled thoroughly. I found 3 huge bubble right at the calipers.

Upgrading to better components is all great and fine, but knowing/determining what caused spongy brakes would be best in my view. I dont think I can out ride stock brake master or calipers yet.

Any more stopping power and I would be slowing way too much before the turns, something for you to think about. These small bikes (at the track) do not need great brakes. Just enough to scrub some speed.

The one thing I do know, from video, is that I was on the brakes when I hit the edge of the track. We don't have any real runoff so as soon as I hit dirt & grass I went down.

As for bleeding the brakes it's been a few months so probably 5-6 track days. When I can actually work on the bike again I'll go over the brake system, including a complete fluid flush.

You have a point about how much brake we really need on the track. Something to definitely think about.

-Rachael

post #46 of 48 Old 10-28-2016, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Not saying it happened here, but one of the things that can happen on the racetrack is having the front end dance a little while going over bumps. It can actually knock the brake pads back a little which has the effect of feeling like you have little or no braking power the next time you go to apply them. The solution in that scenario is a quick pump of the lever.
post #47 of 48 Old 12-26-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ruby's Street & (Occasional) Track Build

Just updating the state of things right now.

Cast had been off a few weeks and now it's all rehab on my hand/wrist before I feel comfortable getting back on the bike. I'm guessing mid January to early February, but only time will tell.

I've worked some on the bike and there was very little damage from the crash. I replaced a couple parts of the left rearset and that was it. I also decided to add a key switch eliminator and keyless gas cap. Next thing I'll be doing is going over the entire front brake system (flushing the fluid, deglazing the rotor, etc).

The weather this weekend has been beautiful in South Central Texas. I really miss riding!

Here's a pic of the bike a few weeks before the crash.

torrid_pace, Gizmo and Matt-J2 like this.

-Rachael

Last edited by Ruby; 12-26-2016 at 02:52 PM.
post #48 of 48 Old 12-26-2016, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby View Post
just updating the state of things right now.

Cast had been off a few weeks and now it's all rehab on my hand/wrist before i feel comfortable getting back on the bike. I'm guessing mid january to early february, but only time will tell.

I've worked some on the bike and there was very little damage from the crash. I replaced a couple parts of the left rearset and that was it. I also decided to add a key switch eliminator and keyless gas cap. Next thing i'll be doing is going over the entire front brake system (flushing the fluid, deglazing the rotor, etc).

The weather this weekend has been beautiful in south central texas. I really miss riding!

here's a pic of the bike a few weeks before the crash.

sent from my iphone using tapatalk

pretty!
torrid_pace likes this.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue Angel)
2011 Honda NT700VA (Black Beauty)
2009 Honda DN-01 (Red Queen)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page