User Tag List

45Likes

post #1 of 48 Old 05-06-2016, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
Talking Ruby's Street & (Occasional) Track Build

Hi everyone! It feels like Christmas in May with everything I've purchased lately so I thought it'd be nice to share what I've decided to do with my R3.

Background:
I'll start with some personal background which might give some insight into why I've decided to go in this direction. About 15 years ago I was really into cars (thanks to my mother for getting me interested in motorsports growing up) which lead me to competing in SCCA Solo II, driving schools, and open track days. During this time I picked up my first wrench, and I even helped my best friend with two race cars (a '90 Eclipse GSX and 2001 Corvette). In 2014 I got to check off an item on my bucket list when I did a school at Laguna Seca.
I was always interested in motorcycles as well, but sadly I never got around to learning to ride even though I had a few friends that did ride. Fast forward to June of last year when I decided to take the MSF course and get my first bike, which was the R3 in late July. Since then I've put a few thousand miles on the bike and recently I found myself "wanting more." The natural, new rider reaction was to start looking at superspots. After my last mod, adjustable levers from Jesse/@jbluetooth; at www.yamahaR3racing.com, I started to read through his blog and watch his videos. This lead me to reading about the race builds here. At this point I realized I have no need for "more bike," rather I need to learn to be a better rider and look into track days (is racing in my future?). Lucky for me there's a track about an hour drive away that offers motorcycle days as well as rider instruction. Now I have a reason to throw money at the bike for my pleasure and for the purpose of doing track days.

The Bike And Build:
Mods so far have been mostly cosmetic to make the R3 more "mine."
Previously Installed: Yamaha frame sliders, Vagabond fender eliminator, front LED signals, relay, bar ends, and spool sliders from TST, integrated tail light from Hard Racing, Driven D Axis grips, and adjustable levers from YamahaR3Racing.com (replaced another set I had from Spears Racing).
New Parts: M4 full exhaust with titanium canister, YamahaR3Racing block off plate, BMC race air filter, Bazzaz Z-Fi with custom map from YamahaR3Racing.com, Vortex Racing clip-ons, Woodcraft bar ends with lever guard mount, Vortex V3 grips, NortonFab Motorsports (YamahaR3Racing.com) 2nd Generation Adjustable Rearset Riser Kit for OEM Rearsets, Vesrah RJL front brake pads, and Bridgestone S20 Evo tires.

If you haven't noticed the trend I have purchased the majority of my new parts from Jesse. He has been extremely patient with me, and incredibly helpful when it comes to getting what I need. I've learned so much from him, and continue to pick his brain as I grow. I will continue to give him my business; he more than deserves it!

While I realize that suspension upgrades would have been a better use of my money I am currently in the process of major weight loss (over 40lbs since purchasing the R3 and not stopping anytime soon) so I'm waiting to reach my "goal weight" or at least be closer before doing anything major with the suspension.

Clip-ons and tires will be installed next week; leaving town tomorrow. I'll follow up with a "ride review" once I get plenty of time with the new mods, but I'll start out by saying I love the new positioning of my legs with the riser kit from just sitting on the bike while on a stand.

I'll get pictures up ASAP!! I need to do some resizing first; I'm too sleepy to bother right now, but SOON(tm).
jbluetooth, Gizmo, Xoenz and 2 others like this.

-Rachael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 05-06-2016, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
No pics, no congrats.

Let's ride.
post #3 of 48 Old 05-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcc View Post
No pics, no congrats.
LOL

Agreed... waiting patiently for pics

2016 Matte Gray YZF-R3 – YZF-R6 Throttle, Vagabond Frame Sliders & Fender Eliminator, Coffman Slip-On Exhaust, Norton Motorsports Adjustable Clutch/Brake Levers, TST Industries Integrated Tail Light & GTR/Halo Flush Mounts, Womet-Tech Front Axle Sliders, Bar-End Sliders and Swingarm Spools/Sliders, X-Grip RAM Mount, Hardwired 12v Socket / USB Charger / Batter Tender, Cheapo Chinese Side-Stand Pad & Radiator Guard

post #4 of 48 Old 05-06-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
And here we have a few pics

No picture of the exhaust uninstalled as it came directly from M4, which is in Dallas and got here overnight, and I was too impatient to wait for the rest of the parts

I'll be posting about the rearset bracket install as there are a couple tricks to get the right side to install properly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160504_184650 copy.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	36577   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160505_160317 copy.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	520.4 KB
ID:	36585   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160505_160426 copy.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	445.2 KB
ID:	36593   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160505_173938 copy.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	36601   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160505_194536 copy.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	599.7 KB
ID:	36609  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160505_194614 copy.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	576.1 KB
ID:	36617   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160504_202645 copy.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	36625   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160504_202657 copy.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	36633  
abvc, Gizmo, 3RdYAM4_me and 1 others like this.

-Rachael

post #5 of 48 Old 05-07-2016, 05:21 PM
r3-forums.com Vendor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Awesome work Rachael, and awesome work on the 40 lbs! I didn't realize you had come so far already, keep it up!! I love the way that titanium can M4 looks with the blue/silver bike... I'll never get tired of that hehe
Ruby likes this.

Cheers,
Jesse

Follow my build and racing at

The most complete resource for information and race parts for the Yamaha R3.

post #6 of 48 Old 05-10-2016, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Congratulations on a good looking bike, i'm envious you live so close to a track.
Ruby likes this.

Do not go gentle into that good night....Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
post #7 of 48 Old 05-26-2016, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Smile

Been a while since I updated; I've been traveling quite a bit, and the weather hasn't been the best lately. Finally had a chance for some longer rides so I can say I'm extremely happy with the upgrades so far. The engine feels much smoother with the Bazzaz. Can't say my butt-dyno can tell a difference in power, but it feels better and sounds amazing. Also, I'm actually quite pleased with the new riding position. I find that my body is more relaxed than I was with the stock position. The new brake pads have really good bite; definitely worth it.

Got a few more parts today: GB Racing case covers. I was a little worried about the water pump cover as you have to replace the coolant drain plug. Luckily I hardly lost any coolant, less than an ounce. I was definitely prepared for it all to come out, but only had a small amount of coolant seep from the upper left bolt, and very little came out of the drain plug. It was a quick and easy install.

I'm also waiting on a couple more things I decided to add: braided front brake line and a toe guard. I'll have more pics to share once that's all installed.

jbluetooth and matrix22 like this.

-Rachael

post #8 of 48 Old 06-26-2016, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
One more update before my first track day, which is tomorrow.

As I mentioned I had a front brake line (from Jesse) and a Graves rear toe guard (also from Jesse) to install, I also added a factory radiator guard. The toe guard has to be drilled and doesn't come with any mounting hardware. Another big thank you to Jesse for providing mounting hardware!!

And while not bike related I did acquire a GoPro so I'll hopefully have some videos of my first track day

And pics

Brake line & toe guard:

Radiator guard:

And just because:
matrix22 likes this.

-Rachael

post #9 of 48 Old 06-28-2016, 02:28 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Garage
Noticed you routed the brake line in front of the fork. I would move it so it is behind the fork in order to avoid any contact our pulling problems while turning. Especially tight turns where you go to the steering stops.

Just unbolt the caliper to fix it. No need to remove the line.

Like me on Facebook at

post #10 of 48 Old 06-28-2016, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalview View Post
Noticed you routed the brake line in front of the fork. I would move it so it is behind the fork in order to avoid any contact our pulling problems while turning. Especially tight turns where you go to the steering stops.

Just unbolt the caliper to fix it. No need to remove the line.
Thanks for the tip!

-Rachael

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page