Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Track Day Tire Recommendations?

20K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  feelgood156 
#1 ·
I've read through quite a few tire reviews. What I've learned is it's either testing for one extreme or another. Either a street tire or a full blown on warmers track tire. What about a tire for street/track that does not need warmers? In the sizes I'm used to running, this would have been a Dunlop Q3 or a Michelin Pilot Power 3 for me. New to the smaller tires, are there any good options as my R3 will be primarily track, but I'm not yet ready to jump in to warmers (or should I?) and will run it on the street up in the mountains as well. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks!

#3 ·
The Rosso II was the closest I found in the reviews, but they seemed to deem it a "sport touring" tire due to its harder compound when compared to the more sport oriented offerings (in larger sizes). That sounds like it may be the way to go though. Thanks!

#6 ·
My sanction requires a DOT-legal tire for its supersport class. I will be running Bridgestone this year as they offer the best contingency payouts. I plan on running an R10 120mm front with an RS10 rear. I've heard great things about the R10 front for racing, but not the best about the RS10 rear.

Either way, that's the route I know many others have gone that run 'stones, and that's the setup I will be running too. The tread patterns are aggressive for street tires, but that might also be a good hybrid setup for you to consider.

Reactions: BMiller
#7 ·
My choice would be the Bridgestone s20, next would be the Diablo Rosso 2. I have RACED on both and they would be great for Street as well.
I would definitely suggest tire warmers though.... track time is expensive so why waste time having to get your tires up to temp (plus you'ld be able to set more constant pressures)

#8 ·
I'm assuming you'd run a low temp setting on the warmers for a street/track tire like the S20 then? I'm not against using warmers, I just wanted a dual purpose street/track tire until I get used to the bike and possibly source a second set of wheels. After that I'm fine with moving up to track specific tires that require warmers. I'm still new to that aspect of riding though, so baby steps.:D

#11 ·
Daaaamn! $188 shipped is all? I wish I could get Supercorsas for anywhere near that price lol. I was thinking I'll be happy if I can find a set of race tires for $350. I'm just afraid to really push it hard on the S20s or Diablo Rossos. @VULGR, were those really that good for racing? I can't imagine them being as grippy as the Supercorsas. I'm not worried about the rears since these bikes don't have much power, but I'm more concerned with the front.

Have you noticed an improvement in lap times going from those 2 to whatever you're running now?

#12 ·
Daaaamn! $188 shipped is all? I wish I could get Supercorsas for anywhere near that price lol. I was thinking I'll be happy if I can find a set of race tires for $350. I'm just afraid to really push it hard on the S20s or Diablo Rossos. @VULGR , were those really that good for racing? I can't imagine them being as grippy as the Supercorsas. I'm not worried about the rears since these bikes don't have much power, but I'm more concerned with the front.

Have you noticed an improvement in lap times going from those 2 to whatever you're running now?
Can't go wrong with http://www.americanmototire.com

Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x BRIDGESTONE S20 EVO 110/70R-17 M/C 54H, FRONT (003261) = $85.82
1 x BRIDGESTONE S20 EVO 140/70R-17 M/C 66H, REAR (003262) = $103.09
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $188.91
FREE GROUND SHIPPING (FedEx/UPS): $0.00
Total: $188.91

#23 ·
What psi are you guys running on S20's? I ran 30/30 the last two times at chuckwalla and finally fot to do a track day at Sodegaura forest Raceway and ran the same PSI. I don't remember my tires looking this bad in Cali

The track was dirty as ****, lots of rubber from the morning sessions of cars. They had a sweeper but still lots of debris. I got hit by a few large pieces being kicked up by the bike in front of me during first lap.

#24 ·
^That looks like pretty good even wear to me. Remember that the way a tire looks after a bunch of laps is also affected by the track itself (the asphalt). If it's more abrasive then it'll eat tires at a quicker rate and will look worse than a smooth track. Last weekend I went to a track in Kansas that was freshly paved. The tires I had on my ZX6R were the same ones from end of last season so they were used. They looked about like yours when I got to the track, but when I left the track they looked like they were almost brand new. The track cleaned them up to where they were really smooth and had no melted rubber beads at all on them. It was really odd, but expected from brand new asphalt.

#25 ·
Has anyone tried the Shinko 008? It's a cheep (and possibly a crap) slick I've been seeing online. Looks like it's got mostly good reviews (and some bad). Seams most of the negative reviews are from guys on 1000cc bikes and wonder if it'd do better on a bike, like the R3, with less HP. Currently running the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2s and am happy with how they're doing so far.

#35 ·
Take this w/ a grain of salt but I run S21s on my daily (also sees the track) and love them. However, the only other tire I've ran and tracked with are Q3s which for their price point, are really hard to beat. I've just had more slippage w/ the Q3s; once at Buttonwillow where the back end came out, stood the bike up and caught again, no harm, no foul but really caught me by surprise. Maybe the change in tarmac surface was partially to blame and I wouldn't have put too much in it if I hadn't experienced slipping elsewhere. Both tires warm up quickly on the track, just one mild lap before letting her rip.

Keep an eye out for rebates as well AFAIK Bridgestone's running one right now. I purchased them through Rocky Mountain ATV They actually submit the rebate on your behalf after they ship the tires, super convenient!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.