Last Ultra lightweight endurance for 2016 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

post #1 of 12 Old 10-15-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Last Ultra lightweight endurance for 2016

So our CMRA ULW Endurance season is over. We only did 2 races on the R3, but it was a blast. Cant wait to start again next year.

We were at Texas World Speedway, which is a track I love. The track might be bumpy and old and needs to be repaved, but there is so much history there and its an absolute blast to ride. We couldnt have asked for nicer weather for the 6hr race. We had only done one race in the series, so we were way behind on points. We started in 33rd place out of 37 total entries and dead last out of 17 in our class. After 6 hours, we managed to scratch our way to 4th in class and 10th overall. Cant really complain about that!

This tire has seen better days. After 6 hours on the same rear tire, its a lot better than some of the other teams

Dave
CMRA Expert #810
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-16-2016, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Very nice photos, looks like it was a blast.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-17-2016, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Pretty cool, thanks for sharing!

This is my signature. Woo.
Hit me up on Instagram, look at my terrible pics: motomatt_r3

post #4 of 12 Old 10-25-2016, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Nice job. Endurance racing is a blast. Our team just wrapped up a season of lightweight endurance racing on a 250 Ninja in Ontario and we had a great time. Next year we'll likely be on a R3 powered purpose-built endurance racer.
SpearsRacing likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-25-2016, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
Nice job. Endurance racing is a blast. Our team just wrapped up a season of lightweight endurance racing on a 250 Ninja in Ontario and we had a great time. Next year we'll likely be on a R3 powered purpose-built endurance racer.
Nice! We were on a CBR250R for a few years but switched to the R3 this year. The 250 was fun but even with a 305 kit, it couldnt hang with the Ninjas on the straights.

Dave
CMRA Expert #810
post #6 of 12 Old 10-26-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav810 View Post
Nice! We were on a CBR250R for a few years but switched to the R3 this year. The 250 was fun but even with a 305 kit, it couldnt hang with the Ninjas on the straights.
Our main competition was a CBR250. They made all six of the rounds and we went to four. They finished every time and their consistency won them the championship. We had two firsts and two thirds and wound up third in the championship by one point. Both third place finishes were in spite of crashing on DOTs in the rain. Now that we know how good the full rains are for the lightweight bikes we're changing our general strategy to make the switch to full wets at the first sign of rain. I was amazed at how grippy rain tires are, and with the low horsepower of our small bikes even if things dry out the tires will last a long time. I just have to work on the quick change hardware to get the wheel changes under 3 minutes

There was also another team with an FZR400 that mostly ran with a fast dad and not-so-fast daughter. We couldn't hang with the dad on the straights with the (maybe 30hp) 250 Ninja so I think that the significant power increase of the R3 motor will help somewhat.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-27-2016, 04:32 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
6hrs on a single set of tires! I imagine the grip levels wouldn't have been great towards the end.
I'ld love to do something like this but I'm not aware of anything over this side of the ditch
post #8 of 12 Old 10-27-2016, 07:53 AM

Can't speak for Dav810, but we got phenomenally good tire wear without a noticeable loss of grip over the course of the four 3hr races we did and we had a pretty fast pace. That is grip in the dry. Grip in the rain on the Pirelli DOTS wasn't that great. Not bad, but not great as we did give up some pace to the guys on more street-oriented DOTS in the wet.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-27-2016, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VULGR View Post
6hrs on a single set of tires! I imagine the grip levels wouldn't have been great towards the end.
I'ld love to do something like this but I'm not aware of anything over this side of the ditch
I rode during hour 3 and hour 6. During hour 3, my fastest time was a 2:05. During hour 6, my fastest was a 2:07. This was on Pirelli DOT's 120/150. Excellent grip even with the edge of the tire looking like it did.
VULGR likes this.

Dave
CMRA Expert #810
post #10 of 12 Old 11-03-2016, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Sounds exhausting riding at race pace for so long but the good kind of tired of course.

I noticed in photo # 2 that you don't have a gas cap? Is it plugged internally with a one-way valve for speed filling?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page