Tips for a new rider? - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

post #1 of 13 Old 11-06-2015, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Tips for a new rider?

I've never posted in any type of forum ever, but riding a motorcycle has been an amazing experience with the motorcycle community being so welcoming. I remember my first time riding and I happened to pass a biker going the opposite way and he stuck his hand out in that greeting fashion and I was confused, but the more people started to do it the more I started to realize what it was.

Anyways, while this has been my very first bike, it's also my first time riding. With this in mind, I'm so new to everything; from turning, to downshifting correctly, etc. If I could bounce a few questions off of anyone that would be amazing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-06-2015, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Welcome. Riders in my opinion are much more connected than the cagers on the road.

If you havent, take a motorcycle rider course such as the MSF BRC and ARC, or a Total Control course.

If thats not an option, I suggest you borrow some books and learn from them. Mastering the Ride, Total Control and Twist of the Wrist are all good books. Twist of the Wrist is more for racers, but all three books have information that every rider can use, whether its on the street or track.

There is also the Twist of the Wrist video. the "abridged" version cuts out about 30 minutes of non-sense acting.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-06-2015, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Aside from the education mentioned above, consider getting all the gear you can afford before even modding the bike.
And keep an eyeball out for left-turns, gravel, rain, and road impurities such as cracks and sink holes.
Get gloves with Palm Sliders.
Helmets with ECE such as from
http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/eve...hel-1733731498
Be safe more than anything!

post #4 of 13 Old 11-06-2015, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So far I've taken the MSF course, got my endorsement on my license, and have even gotten my mothers "approval" for riding a motorcycle. I've been looking for the advanced MSF course, but cannot for the life of me find one. I bought gloves, riding armour, and a helmet and really am thinking about buying a new helmet. My biggest problems so far though, are taking turns and sometimes I wonder if I'm driving the bike correctly when I need to downshift from 3rd gear at a stoplight. Normally I just hold in the clutch and shift all the way down, but I'm starting to think that isn't the way to go about it.

"You can throw me to the wolves, tomorrow I will come back leader of the whole pack."
post #5 of 13 Old 11-06-2015, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hublou View Post
So far I've taken the MSF course, got my endorsement on my license, and have even gotten my mothers "approval" for riding a motorcycle. I've been looking for the advanced MSF course, but cannot for the life of me find one. I bought gloves, riding armour, and a helmet and really am thinking about buying a new helmet. My biggest problems so far though, are taking turns and sometimes I wonder if I'm driving the bike correctly when I need to downshift from 3rd gear at a stoplight. Normally I just hold in the clutch and shift all the way down, but I'm starting to think that isn't the way to go about it.
The Advanced Rider Course is usually only offered during the Summer months...
post #6 of 13 Old 11-06-2015, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
Wink

Quote:
Hello and welcome. I am no Expert learning new stuff everyday. I just passed the DMV circus(circle and cone test). Passed. Have had a few bikes street/dirt in the past. I have not been on a bike in 10 year kind of deal (Married with children). 800 on my new bike as of today.
When your coming up on a foreseeable stop. Use the engine to downshift 4-3-2- and First if needed for a fast stop. Problem with going a high speed and the clutch pulled in and your in first gear. or neutral(manual says not to coast.) is ? If you brain fart and let the clutch out your going to chirp it or worse go into a skid at too high of a speed for the gear.

Practice in a open safe area hard straight stops. etc.

Myself practiced with my R3 to see how fast I can stop the bike safely.

I used the rear brake only to get the feel of the bike if I were too skid. I then used the front brake only to get the feel of the bike. Then I would practice some fast stops over and over with both brakes and downshifting all at the same time. practice really helps everyone no matter what your doing. In the real world on the roads you will have to stop fast or swerve or speed up all in a fraction of seconds. Life altering traffic and driving decisions need to be practiced on the bike. Slow Down -Go- Don't Go-Speed Up- Honk- give someone the finger. etc. Be safe out there and enjoy your bike. Oh and people don't use there turn signals so be carful out there. Apparently some people think you can read there minds.
FYI: get a Louder horn. BEEP BEEP!!!!!!!
Kojiiro and MJinCP like this.

2015 R3 and enjoying it.

Last edited by Braunbear66; 11-06-2015 at 08:35 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-06-2015, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Where I live, there is NEVER any scheduled advanced courses all year round, instead they want you to round up a minimum of 4 people and then they will create an advanced course for you.

As far as holding the clutch in and downshifting all the way to 1st, that is absolutely fine. Motorcycle wet clutches are especially created in such a way to be able to handle this. But it is also nice to learn how to blip your throttle and downshift.

Take a look at this topic in the two wheel safety area:

20 General Riding Safety Tips

Some extra things. Learn to keep your cool. No matter what. Also don't over-react. You will find almost on a daily basis you may experience a lot of close calls, or at least perceived close calls, it is important to although be mindful of the situation, do not react in an exaggerated way. This is important so that you will always have full control of your motorcycle. Know the difference between evasive maneuvers intended to save yourself from a collision and defensive maneuvers to keep you at an ideal safety. Do not confuse the two and relegate your actions accordingly.

In other words, if a car abruptly turns into your lane and you have enough distance to safely brake and slow down, do so instead of slamming on your brakes (over-reacting) and losing tire traction when such an action is completely unnecessary.

Get a cheapo action cam to mount on your bike or helmet. Do not be one of those riders who post a topic saying you got into an accident, someone hit you and they drove off, letting them get away with it. Get a camera to protect yourself and get justice from such criminal actions.
Braunbear66 likes this.

Sadly, some people have no business riding a motorcycle.

2015 Z1000 / 2015 FZ-07 / 2015 R3
post #8 of 13 Old 11-06-2015, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
Thats good advice thank you. I read his post a few times and was not sure if I was understanding it correctly. I thought he was downshifting from third gear down to 1st and just holding in the clutch and going straight down to first gear and costing and braking before stop sign.

2015 R3 and enjoying it.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-06-2015, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbear66 View Post
Thats good advice thank you. I read his post a few times and was not sure if I was understanding it correctly. I thought he was downshifting from third gear down to 1st and just holding in the clutch and going straight down to first gear and costing and braking before stop sign.
Yeah, that's how I read it too and that's what I was referring to. Its fine to do that. Unlike a manual shifter car where it wears out the clutch if you continually do that at every stop.
Braunbear66 likes this.

Sadly, some people have no business riding a motorcycle.

2015 Z1000 / 2015 FZ-07 / 2015 R3
post #10 of 13 Old 11-07-2015, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
It's fine to shift as mentioned above but I don't. Eason being is if you bang down to first, and are coasting along but at still a pretty high speed, what do you do if you suddenly are in a situation where you need to move quick? You might be too high of an rpm range if you made it all the way down to first.

I usually bang a gear down at a time and also use the engine braking to slow the bike down.
Braunbear66 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page