About to buy R3, should I ride it home? First time on motorcycle. - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

21Likes

post #1 of 47 Old 02-17-2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
About to buy R3, should I ride it home? First time on motorcycle.

Hey everyone, I am new to the forums and I am finding myself in a bit of a dilemma, I have a chance to pick up an R3 for a great deal new, it will actually be cheaper than a used one at some other dealerships, the sale is almost over and I am about to jump in an buy it. However my problem is that I have yet to take the CMSP (CA new MSF) and have only ridden a mini bike years ago. If I pick the bike up I'll have to ride it about 60 plus miles home, from downtown LA to Antelope Valley. My wife will be with me behind me in the car the whole way, but I am still a little intimidated about the ride, mostly about dropping a brand new bike before I can put some sliders on it. I am planning on taking the safety course but by the time there's an opening an it works with my schedule sale will be over. My friend told me I can ride his 636 to practice but I don't feel like being responsible if I drop his bike lol. So what should I do? There is no delivery options, I may ask my friend to ride it but we both have opposite work schedules, and I am also thinking of renting a trailer, tho the trailer is my last option. There is a nice lot near the dealer usually empty maybe I can practice for a while before making the trip? Thanks all I'm looking forward to the good advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 02-17-2016, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
Edit: You should not be riding from Del Amo Motorsports to AV on your first ride. Too treacherous a route. Get help GET IT DELIVERED

You have no time rush of any kind, I dont care what they say about their sale date, there are more than enough R3's in inventory. Here in SoCal there is virtually a permanent stream of them.

If you called Simi Valley Cycles tomorrow they would match the deal to the dollar. Pasadena , Simi, or Chatsworth will all deal for the bike and deliver it. If you called the sales guys at Simi they would give you the same price and trailer it to your front door. They delivered mine to Newhall, they wont have a problem going to Palmdale/Lancaster.

Wheels in Motion covers the SCV all the way to Palmdale for break down service they would certainly deliver a new sale that far.

I suggest you get off the freeway early and use the old road and sierra highway so you get a good break in ride without too much same speed RPM riding.

Just have your friend ride it home at low /varying RPMs. Use foothill, San Fernando Rd, The Old Rd, Rinaldi, Sierra Hwy, etc

You hold all the cards here, 2016 models are about to hit the showroom.

Last edited by Bird; 02-17-2016 at 01:06 PM.
post #3 of 47 Old 02-17-2016, 10:48 AM
Tal

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Welcome from England.I rode my first bike home from the dealer when i was just turned 16,no lessons no helmet no proper bike gear,mind you it was 1964 LoL.Seriously if you don't feel comfortable riding it home trailer it or get your mate to ride it.Good luck.
Stirz likes this.

Too Old To Die Young.

It's Nice To Be Here,It's Nice To Be Anywhere.

post #4 of 47 Old 02-17-2016, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Thabks guys, good to have some reassurance! I'm probably going to ride it on routes you suggested, it will be on a weekend so traffic shouldn't be horrible going that way. And thanks I have only really shopped at del amo motorsports and Next Motorcycle, now I'm definitely going to check out these other dealers, can't be much harder getting a good deal on a bike vs me fighting with my car salesman right? And I may just wait for the 2016 versions, they start orders on the 20th correct? , I haven't looked much into the 16s yet has much changed? I've been too busy trying to get a focus RS lol but I don't want to pay 40 grand for a focus haha, I think the bike will be a much better way to have fun even if it requires a few months of learning. Even if it is only YouTube training and manuals until I take the course.
post #5 of 47 Old 02-17-2016, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
You can get a 16 for the same price, hold out and get a 16 for sure. Why buy last years so late, get the fresh release.
The bikes flow through here, we have no supply constraints and they don't have to truck them far to the dealers.
Any discounts they claim to place on the 15' could simply be negotiated into a sale on a 16.

If you wanted the black Raven version from 2015 that would be one reason to buy a 15. The red for 16 has a white tank and front fairing instead of red.
$100 surcharge for matte grey, another fee that you could work them over on. I wouldn't pay a premium for just another color.

Last edited by Bird; 02-17-2016 at 12:30 PM.
post #6 of 47 Old 02-17-2016, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I was so nervous riding my very first bike home (the r3) and I had done the Canadian version of the msf a year a go from the purchase date and then a weekend refresher a couple week before the purchase date. This was when the 2015s had just hit dealership floors in april I had a choice of which dealership to ride it home from and I chose the closest one to my home (approx. 10 miles all city). Man was I nervous riding it home the first time, stalled it right out of the dealers driveway! smh. my mouth was really dry after that short ride haha but I'll always remember it.

My 2 cents if your not confident or feeling uneasy you should consider a craigslist delivery option, have your friend ride it or rent the trailer. 60 miles is a long trek for your first ride ona proper sized bike IMO. I was really nervous the whole 10 miles during mine. After I had it home I rode it around the neighborhood/ empty parking lots where I felt very comfortable and got more accustom/ built confidence etc. Weigh the risk/benefits, will saving a couple bucks be worth running the risk of having an incident? New riders make a lot of mistakes, I'm a new rider, I know!
post #7 of 47 Old 02-17-2016, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
I rented uhaul motorcycle trailer when i picked up my bike. The trailer was $18 to rent and i bought 4 straps to strap it down, thats in Canada though.
Renting trailers is so cheap that I see no reason to ride your bike cirst tume stressed out.
post #8 of 47 Old 02-17-2016, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Sorry my bad I mean i had only looked at del amo and Next Motorcycle in Inglewood off of S la cinega blvd right off the 5 freeway, I was going to go there because they had the deal and guranteed me the lowest OTD, that's still quite a journey though, and now I'm looking at wheels in motion and the other dealers you listed, my friend just told me he could help me bring it up to Sylmar since he lives there and that's basically right there I can take the old road / Sierra highway much easier from there, Lol if anything I'll leave it at the school I work at and practice every day after work in the large lot XD
post #9 of 47 Old 02-17-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Lol stalled it right out the lot? Well at least you did not drop it lol, agh that has to suck, especially dropping it at a light in front of everyone lol, luckily I'll have my wife following behind me in the car but still, it's the unknown of what that ride will bring that unsettles me, n really 18 dollars for a trailer I'm about to look up some qoutes right now, for trailers can you drop them at any uhaul or just one you picked it up at? I've only rented one pick up and had to take it all the way back to original rental location an haven't rented since.
post #10 of 47 Old 02-17-2016, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If I lived a bit closer I would be happy to ride the bike home for you, and provide all the break-in miles too . . . .
Werder likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page