Anyone upgrade from an R3 to an R6? - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

177Likes

post #1 of 237 Old 11-13-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Anyone upgrade from an R3 to an R6?

Didn't see any existing threads in regards to this topic and I'm curious if any original R3 owners made the upgrade and would like to share some personal thoughts, tips, and tricks, things to be aware of/watch out for, etc.

For me just a couple of questions (if possible please include your height and weight.)

1. How's R6 seat height compared to R3? I mean I know its higher but what's it like from a feeling/riding perspective?
2. Hows the bikes weight at stops/slow maneuvers, manageable even if you're on your tippy toes?
3. How's the riding position, comfortable after long rides?
4. Power difference, was it super intimidating switching from the R3 to R6 or do the modes help with the power transition?
5. Possible to commute with or should one just stick with the R3?
6. How long did you ride you're R3 before upgrading to the R6?

That's all I can think of, for now if anything else comes to mind I'll be sure to add to the list. Thanks all
onerevway, Omnislug and ATL_R3 like this.

* * * Revving my heart since July 2017 * * *
2018 - Yamaha R6 Team Blue | May 2019 - Present
2015 - Yamaha R3 Team Blue | July 2017 - May 2019 (SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 237 Old 11-13-2017, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
They weigh almost exactly the same, but the seat on the r6 is about 2.5? higher, which is definitely noticeable.

I?d commute on one gladly, but stock vs stock, the riding position on the r3 is much more comfortable for daily riding.

The power difference is huge and the r6 certainly has enough power that it could get a person in trouble - it?s not as forgiving
Omnislug likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 237 Old 11-13-2017, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweezy View Post
Didn't see any existing threads in regards to this topic and I'm curious if any original R3 owners made the upgrade and would like to share some personal thoughts, tips, and tricks, things to be aware of/watch out for, etc.

For me just a couple of questions (if possible please include your height and weight.)

1. How's R6 seat height compared to R3? I mean I know its higher but what's it like from a feeling/riding perspective?
2. Hows the bikes weight at stops/slow maneuvers, manageable even if you're on your tippy toes?
4. Power difference, was it super intimidating switching from the R3 to R6 or do the modes help with the power transition?

That's all I can think of, for now if anything else comes to mind I'll be sure to add to the list. Thanks all
I actually purchased a 2008 R6 after I sold my R3. Let me answer your questions in my experience.

1. The bike is definitely higher by about 1-2 inches and you can feel it. I'm 5,10" and went from flat footing to being on the balls of my feet. As for the riding perspective I didn't notice a change being that the bike was actually higher once riding but the stance of which you sit is definitely waaaaay more aggressive, but its good not bad but definitely not as comfortable as the R3.
2. The bike feel much much heavier at low speeds. You have to somewhat re learn the low speed maneuvering but its manageable even on tippy toes.
3. Very aggressive, feels good for the first hour but after riding for 1 hour you really start to cramp up. I normally ride for about 40m then chill for like 1-2 hours then ride another hour and im fine.
4. R3 power versus R6 power is night and day. I used to think the R3 was pretty fast but now I see the R3 as quick and the R6 as fast. The bike is very fast, I cant even imagine the R1 LOL. But as anything else you learn the power and get used to it as im already comfortable with the R6 as I was with the R3.
5. For commuting I would rather have the R3, the R6 is more for fast speed fun and you get tired faster since sit aggressive.
6. I rode the R3 for about 5 months and then switched to the R6 and Ive had the R6 for about 3 months.

The R3 is so much fun to ride and I enjoyed it like no other! If I had the money I would have kept it as I had soooo many plans for it. The reason I changed was that I wanted something fast to keep up and be faster on the highways. The R3 is a BLAST on the twistys , the R6 is not because its so fast. Its like going around a turn in a 300hp STI - Fun right! Then switching it out for a 700hp **** cat, fun but scary and you don't want to Really push it lol. You know what I mean? The R6 is a Blast on straight rodes and somewhat curvy rode's. Each bike will have its own version of fun. Many on here may disagree with everything I just said by that is all in my own experience. In my opinion I say don't be scared if you want to get a faster bike but the R3 is more fun. Plus one thing that sold me is the amazing sound of the 600cc class motors/exhaust. OMG I love it!! lol

2017 Yamaha YZF R3 - Yamaha Race Blue

TST GTR Flush White Halo Turn Signals, TST Clear Rear Integrated Tail Light, TST Fender Eliminator, TST LED License Plate Light
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 237 Old 11-13-2017, 02:27 PM
fbr

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I have both, '15 R3 turned in to track bike, '17 R6 for street. Two years on R3 first. Manageable learning curve, similar 'comfortable' handling/stopping. I'm not long distance rider or commuter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 237 Old 11-13-2017, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr3s View Post
I'm beating a dead horse here, but I wish Yamaha would jam about 50 whp into a 300-type platform. From 300 to 600, there are so many changes (dare I say compromises) wrt that small bike feel beyond whp.

Yeah, on the taller bikes, you feel like you are massively staring down into other cars!
InV15iblefrog likes this.

Last edited by xorbe; 11-13-2017 at 02:53 PM. Reason: can't spell
post #6 of 237 Old 11-13-2017, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
I'm beating a dead horse here, but I wish Yamaha would jam about 50 whp into a 300-type platform. From 300 to 600, there are so many changes (dare I say compromises) wrt that small bike feel beyond whp.
My greatest appeal to the R3 was the price point for what I got. I think the R3 is perfect for what it is but definitely agree that Yamaha would benefit greatly from having another option somewhere in between the R3 and R6... they could call it an R4 maybe

A little more power and with better brakes and suspension without too much of a jump in price. That would make for a perfect toy for the streets (IMO).
InV15iblefrog and Omnislug like this.

post #7 of 237 Old 11-13-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Question about backing up on the bike for shorter riders. I'm about 5'9, would it be possible to back up on the bike or if you're shorter would it be best to reposition the bike from the side?

* * * Revving my heart since July 2017 * * *
2018 - Yamaha R6 Team Blue | May 2019 - Present
2015 - Yamaha R3 Team Blue | July 2017 - May 2019 (SOLD)

post #8 of 237 Old 11-13-2017, 06:48 PM
fbr

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Question about backing up on the bike for shorter riders. I'm about 5'9, would it be possible to back up on the bike or if you're shorter would it be best to reposition the bike from the side?

Yes, both. I'm 5'10". If there's a grade, pull it back from side. Not really an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 237 Old 11-13-2017, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
I debated getting the R6 for quite a while while waiting for my trades paperwork to get filled out, I had the credit to do it. After spending a month on the R3 and getting used to the more aggressive stance compared to my Very upright Duke ( I actually like the sportbike stance BETTER after getting used to it We had 55 mph gusts crossing the bridge on the way home from work today and tucking made a H U G E difference in how much the wind effected me). I'm 5'6" so the R6 is VERY aggressive for me, practically laying on the tank and this is what made my mind up, the R3 had my neck sore for the first week or so with the change in stance but it doesn't bother me at all now. I imagine that posture would bother me much less now,I might do this upgrade myself in the future. The bike is DEFINITELY AWESOME!

" Only When You're nothing can you be everything" Matus
post #10 of 237 Old 11-13-2017, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Quote:

1. Its not so much the height, but the width of the seat,
R6 is a love it or Hate it riding position because of the flat wide perch.
Its a race bike with lights.

2. If you are short you'll struggle, 03-05 is marginally better than the 08+
Even dropping the forks 10mm, backing offf the rear preload, and shaving 15mm off the seat makes a friend still slide carefully down to the left to get a tippy toe down at stops.
But ya dont ride with feet down,
bikes fall over if ya not goin fast
Its a race bike with lights

3. About as comfortable as a plank of wood balanced on a ladder,

4. Below 10500 its got nothin,
Wouldnt pull a catholic priest off a choir boy.
14000 its all happening and defies its horsepower,
03-05 models are more useable.
Only 0.3 secs behind a 1000 on the 0-60mph and less than a second over 1/4 mile standing start if ya good enough.

5. You can clean a toilet with a toothbrush,
But there is about 1000 other tools better for the job.
The only thing they have in common is the logo on the tank.
R1 is more flexible for road useage.

6.first rode the 98/99 models, changed my perception of small 4 strokes forever, coming from 2 stroke RZ500, FZR600, FZR1000, YZF750 etc etc.
Had a beautiful 05 for a while,
Cant come to terms with the 08+ but it's a cracker of a track weapon
I need more laps on one.
Riding an 03 recently brought back fond memories.
The 2018 seems like everything is addressed and still that beautiful engine,
Havnt ridden a demo yet
I dont want to like it too much or ill have to sell a kidney.
Its a race bike with lights, so it would be a very expensive toy compared with the 08 which is now cheap as chips as they are common.

Bikes are an emotive thing,
Details, specs, opinions mean nothing as its your ca$h and your life choices
Test ride them all,
Buy the one that gives the biggest boner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page