User Tag List

9Likes

post #21 of 34 Old 07-06-2018, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaCruiser View Post
Well, I use an Excel sheet and calculate the consumption by miles driven and gas refuelled. I also note the consumption as shown by the onboard computer and have a pretty good idea about the deviation. The 56 miles at about 75 mph are an average value when cruising on the motorway at a rather constant speed and is already adjusted for the deviation of the onboard computer. Tailwind will give me some more miles, rain and headwind a bit less.
The BMW is a surprisingly economic vehicle for its almost 300kg weight and 110 hp from a 1200ccm displacement engine. I have mine for 9 years now and travelled more than 110.000km (70,000 miles) at an average consumption of 52 mpg... - and that includes long mountain trips thru the Alps as well as high-speed stints at 200 - 220 km/h (130 mph) on the German Autobahn...
I'm impressed. That's truly unbelievable fuel mileage from a large displacement, heavy motorcycle, at high speed, even if being ridden gently. I could see that more easily with Imperial gallons, but U.S. gallons are significantly smaller (0.83 of an Imperial gallon). Your 56mpg would be 46 mpg in U.S. gallons, which seems much more like what would be normal.

Jim G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 Old 07-06-2018, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Jim,

I'm talking US gallons here, never mentioned Imperial gallons...
I calculate 1 US gallon => 3.7854 liters and 1 mile => 1,609.344 meters.

Maybe my Excel formula is wrong and I translated my German standards wrongly. So if you want to calculate yourself, the German metrics would be 4.2 liters per 100 km at 120 kilometers per hour.

Last edited by SofaCruiser; 07-06-2018 at 03:35 PM.
post #23 of 34 Old 07-06-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaCruiser View Post
Well, I use an Excel sheet and calculate the consumption by miles driven and gas refuelled. I also note the consumption as shown by the onboard computer and have a pretty good idea about the deviation. The 56 miles at about 75 mph are an average value when cruising on the motorway at a rather constant speed and is already adjusted for the deviation of the onboard computer. Tailwind will give me some more miles, rain and headwind a bit less.
The BMW is a surprisingly economic vehicle for its almost 300kg weight and 110 hp from a 1200ccm displacement engine. I have mine for 9 years now and travelled more than 110.000km (70,000 miles) at an average consumption of 52 mpg... - and that includes long mountain trips thru the Alps as well as high-speed stints at 200 - 220 km/h (130 mph) on the German Autobahn...
That's truly impressive, for a large displacement, heavy, bike at high speed. I would be less surprised if you were talking about 56mpg meaning Imperial gallons, because a U.S., gallon is only 0.83 of an Imperial gallon, so 56 mies per Imperial gallon translates to 46 miles per U.S. gallon. Hold onto that bike.

Jim G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 Old 07-06-2018, 03:38 PM

4.2L/100km is indeed 56 miles per U.S. gallon. Like I said, keep that particular bike.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 07-06-2018 at 03:43 PM. Reason: duplicate post
post #25 of 34 Old 07-06-2018, 03:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
4.2 L/100k m is indeed 56 miles per U.S. gallon, so like I said, hold onto that particular bike.

Jim G

That's what I intend to do even though the R3 is much more fun to ride and even more economical.
Believe it or not but my best mileage with the R1200RT between two fuel stops was 63,98 mpg and I rode 617,8 km (383,88 miles) from gas station to gas station without a reserve canister onboard.
That was during a nice relaxed cruise thru the Czech Republic on a warm summer day with almost no wind and the speed limit on public roads in the Czech Republic is only 90 km/h (56 mph) and you better respect it!
post #26 of 34 Old 07-08-2018, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
I did my 1,026 miles in 23 hours on my CBR250R From Syracuse, NY to Birmingham, AL. Five 200 mile legs. The first leg was very foggy in the early morning and I got hung up at the third fuel stop to wait for a viscious string of thunder storms to blow over. I didn't quite break 100 mpgUS even though I averaged over 115 for the rest of the summer commuting and came in at 99.
My biggest tip for long distance riding comfort is a bit "different" so most people will never even try it but I recommend riding (when cruising on easy roads) with your elbows resting on your knees and setting up a tank bag stuffed full of gear to lean your chest down on. This takes much of the weight off of your butt and all the weight from your wrists. And it make you more aero and anchors your body to the bike so you do not get blown over by side winds. You and the bike become a dart through the wind and the trail in the front end geometry automatically leans into sidewinds.
I use the Cortech Super 2.0 18 liter tank bag on the R3. The Slope might also be worth a try.
I also choose all super-slab when traveling out of town since it is much safer and prefer to follow something big at 3 seconds. Anything bad that could happen, will happen to them. I get over 80 mpg on my R3 when riding like this but I also use PulseNGlide for max fuel efficiency.
The R3 definitely needs a taller windscreen and I would go up 1 front, down 2 rear as I did on my CBR to get the highway rpm's a little lower. 6,000 at 70 mph would be much better on gas. The ideal windscreen will come up to just below your line of vision and 6 inches in front of your visor when crouching on the tank bag. You will then find the magic blow dryer effect where rain and fog blow straight down and off of your visor so you retain pefect vision in pouring rain. A good helmet with a pin lock inner visor to prevent all fogging is also a must for out of town travel. A heated jacket liner and glove liners are also essential for riding in the North East USA where 55F and rain can happen in July and will put you in the rest stop to warm up without heat
I also use a plank style luggage system bolted on the rear seat to avoid saddle bags which rob aero.
As far as "wearing out" the engine from highway miles I would never worry about that at all. My CBR has 52,000 miles, doesn't burn a drop of oil, the valves haven't budged in the last 20,000 miles, the oil comes out golden clean every 5,000 miles, I get 15,000 miles on a rear tire, 30k on the front. 15k on the stock chain and 22k and still going strong on a DID gold chain.
300 class bike can be set up to do 1,000 mile days and carry all your camping gear

airhead83 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sendler; 07-08-2018 at 08:21 AM.
post #27 of 34 Old 07-08-2018, 12:10 PM

That's quite a setup you have built for the CBR250! It has the same "look" as a Bonneville record run vehicle! And I see how your position setup puts your helmet visor right where you want it relative to the top of the windscreen.

I am impressed that the big red box does not create stability problems in a bad crosswind.

We should probably caution viewers that you do NOT normally dress that way when riding, but any staged photo these days has to "show some skin" (preferably female though) . . .

When riding cross country at relatively steady speeds, do you find that it is even necessary at all to adjust the chain during a 1000 mile x2 = 2000 mile return trip? Or is keeping it lubricated, especially in rain, all you find you need? I'm asking because my R3 chain has so far gone over 4500 km = 2800 miles without any adjustment being needed, but I lubricate it every 300 to 500 miles.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 07-08-2018 at 12:13 PM.
post #28 of 34 Old 07-08-2018, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
I wear full gear when riding. The bike still has the self correcting lean into side winds. The tail didn't add any tendancy to go off line but the added mass did damp the responsiveness of the little corrections. The windscreen actually had more of a slight negative effect in cross winds than the tail. The thing to remember is that it is only a side wind when you are parked. When you are moving forward at 60 mph, a 20 mph sidewind combines to appear as a vector of a slightly higher wind just off of the nose.
The big trick to getting the most out of a 300 class bike is to get your chest down against a big tank bag, out of the wind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 34 Old 07-08-2018, 03:23 PM

What about the chain adjustment (versus lubrication) question I asked? Your high mileage experience is uniquely well qualified to answer that question!

Jim G
post #30 of 34 Old 07-08-2018, 03:43 PM

Garage
@sendler :
Your mileage is impressive indeed! I also owned and rode a CBR250R for some years and over 43.000km (27.000 mls). Possibly because I treat my secondary (small) bikes as fun bikes and love to attack the big boys with small arms my average was more like 77 mpg and that was already quite remarkable in the European motorbike landscape. Actually some guys accused me of pushing my motorbike instead of riding it...
I also second your bike position. I used it extensively when I rode my CBR250R on 15 hours long one day trips...
A question though on tyres... - would be interested to learn what tyres you are using on your CBR, I didn't get more than 18.0000km out of my Bridgestone BT45 and that was already quite good. The BT45 don't do the same good job on my R3 and I need to replace them soon - hence my questions in regards of long distance touring tyres...

Last edited by SofaCruiser; 07-08-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page