Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Z2 Track Days Road Rider 2.0 Course @ Sonoma Raceway

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Chris12 
#1 ·
I just signed up for the Z2 Track Days Road Rider 2.0 Course @ Sonoma Raceway scheduled for next Monday. It includes two “on track sessions” but I’m not sure if they’re just drills on a potion of the track or if we’ll actually be doing laps.

I’m looking at it as an introduction to the track as I’ve never done a track day.

If anyone has completed this road rider 2.0 course, please let me know what you thought of it!

Here’s a link to a description: https://z2trackdays.com/rr20/

#3 ·
I've seen these type of street rider schools done at race tracks before. My local track day org used to host these as well a few times a year. They usually do go out on track and use the whole track, although for short period of time, like one or two sessions that are maybe 10-15 minutes each. It's typically a "follow the leader" format and it's much more controlled. They don't just let you loose on the track, but rather follow an instructor and he sets the pace much slower than at a track day. More like what you'd be doing on the street on a somewhat spirited ride. This is why they usually don't require any modifications to the bikes and no leather suits, just jeans, boots, jacket, gloves and helmet of course. Some of these requirements may differ from place to place, but this is how the local one was.

They used to be done in conjunction with our track days, so they had some classroom sessions in the morning, then they would ride during our lunch time. To be honest it looked pretty boring, but I suppose it's not a bad way to learn something and hopefully attract people to do track days. At least it was cheap (something like $30-35 if I recall). I never did it. I just went straight to track days.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I already paid, and it’s non refundable, so I’m definitely going.

Sounds like it’ll be slow paced, but I’m okay with that. Not only am I new to the track in general, but I’ve also heard that this track specifically is highly technical.

I’m looking forward to it!

#5 ·
Thats a really good course to take for improving your skills, especially for street.

The track session may not be that entertaining (follow the leader), other than the fact that its your first time riding at a track....but it may get you hooked to the track more. Sonoma is a great track (although I dont have much experience there other than a couple races and couple track days) and you'll love the elevation changes there. At speeds, its one of the best tracks to ride and is pretty technical (you are correct on that, lot of off camber turns with elevation changes going in and out of turns).

Z2 is a class organization (although I instruct for Keigwins now and would rather have you there for trackdays), their road rider class is a great start.

If you do decide to doing more trackdays, definitely give Keigwins a try out. Ken Hill comes out and imparts his wealth of knowledge at most Thunderhill days with Keigwins (check calendar for KH days).

Let me know if you have any questions about making it to the track.... (welcome to the addiction, lol)

#6 ·
Thanks for the support.

I’ve been in contact with the lead instructor of the course, and after hearing of my experience/expectations, he’s recommending that I try out the novice track group instead of the road rider course.

They the only two things they require of which I don’t have are gauntlet gloves and a back protector.

I wonder what my chances of borrowing either of these from someone there would be..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.