M4 street slayer - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

8Likes

post #1 of 14 Old 08-10-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
M4 street slayer

So I bought this slip on exhaust and I had to take of the cats and was wondering if this considered a full system lol. But my question is that do I have to tune it since it’s considered a “slip on”. It does backfire and spit flames way too much and I love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-10-2018, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
It wouldn't hurt. I have the same exhaust and it definitely needed a tune. Lots of back firing on my bike. But what I did was I ordered an ecu flash and block off plate and was good to go. Cheaper than getting it dynoed with a PCV or bazzaz.
RacecarGuy likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-10-2018, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Getting the block-off plate installed is very important to stop the backfiring.

Jim G
RacecarGuy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-11-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Do I really need too? Lol money is sort of a problem
post #5 of 14 Old 08-11-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3_nyc View Post
If your new system has removed the cat, which is the biggest restriction in the OEM exhaust, your engine is going to run lean, which is harmful to it, and it's going to backfire in the exhaust, which will get you lots of unfavorable police attention.

Installing the block-off plate is essential to stop the backfiring in the exhaust which will otherwise sooner or later attract a police officer, but given the removal of the cat, that still might not completely stop the backfiring.

As for the lean condition, you need to either have the ECU tuned or install a Power Commander with an appropriate tune. Determining an "appropriate" tune though is tough given the way you created your new "system". A dyno tune would be far better. ALL of the methods of correcting the air fuel ratio now are going to be pretty costly. This is something you should have planned for BEFORE you chopped up your system in this irreversible way.

If all you want is a louder, or simply a different, sound, there are plenty of "slip-on" systems that leave the cat alone, and so don't require a tune. But, now that you have cut the OEM system, without having the funds to complete the tuning process, your choices are not good.

One way you could go is to buy another R3 owner's OEM system, which would be cheap (almost free) because no one wants the OEM system, and plenty of guys have gone with full exhausts. Then, buy a slip-on system that leaves the cat alone while still giving you a louder or different sound. However, a decent slip-on system is not going to be much cheaper than an ECU tune.

Finally, you could buy someone's OEM system and leave the exhaust UNmodified at all. THIS will be your only "cheap" solution.

You asked, so I have given you what I see as your true options at this late point.

Jim G
Rramiro666 likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-15-2018, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Getting the block off plate removed 100% of the backfiring for me. But again, I didn't get the street slayer, I got the Regular M4 system.
airhead83 likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-17-2018, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Quote:
Just let it pop. It doesn't hurt the engine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #8 of 14 Old 08-17-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsteinnewyork View Post

But in any legal jurisdiction that emphasizes policing vehicle exhaust noise levels, the popping gets you Police attention, followed by "fix-it" tickets, which means more $$$ spent on both the ticket and the swap back to OEM exhaust for the "fixed it" inspection. The OP already physically cut his OEM exhaust apart, BB, so he does not now HAVE one to put back on so would need to BUY one if ticketed.

I'm told by other riders that just before I moved into this area, for a couple of years there was a police officer whose personal crusade seemed to be motorcycle exhaust noise, and he handed out tickets in large numbers.

Jim G
airhead83 likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-28-2018, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsteinnewyork View Post

I only said this because he doesn't want to spend any money to fix it.
Cheap right?
Anyway short poorly developed exhausts allow atmospheric pressure to overwhelm the exhaust pressure. When this happens fresh air mixes with un-burt fuel in the exhaust pipe causing back fires. This can also be caused by fresh air intake AIS valve/air bleed system or fuel/ignition mapping. As an FYI In some cases high level tuners do this for a reason.
Bottom line the gentleman here purchased the (cheapest) exhaust with the horn of plenty silencer that has no tuning support to attract attention. So for him I say let it pop.

Last edited by bbsteinnewyork; 08-28-2018 at 10:49 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-28-2018, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Got to pay to play. Which is why I would have went with a true slip on exhaust. Easy to swap in, easy to swap out, no additional modifications.

Milc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in