Almost died. - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

27Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 09-18-2018, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Almost died.

Hey guys! So as some of you may know, I increased my daily work commute from 26 miles both ways to 106 miles both ways (53 miles one way) and it is alllll highway... so I went and sold my R3 (probably one of the biggest mistakes I made, going to miss the amazing machine).. anyways I went and got a new 2018 MT-09.. it was pretty awesome not gonna lie.. super slick, super safe with so much technology added by Yamaha, it was an amazing ride.. I did the new longest commute several times like it was nothing. It was pretty nice to have the extra "me time" every morning and evening, and on such a beastly machine it was pretty invigorating.

So to continue, I've been riding supersports since 2006.. I have a family, 3 kids (one of them fairly newborn) and I consider myself one of the safest and most responsible riders in the world. For real I'm pretty safe and alert. I see all the cagers in the mirrors and looked in the eyes, I see if they are distracted. I see if they are aware of me. I make it a point, for my own safety. In my years, I've already swerved out of the way of tons of cagers that merge into me, I've gone into the shoulder of the freeway so many times to safely avoid disaster. I never get mad (too mad) and I'm always forgiving.

On 8/30/2018, on my way home from work, a driver in a sedan decided they would merge from the #1 lane into the #2 lane without checking the mirrors or blind spots. They were merging directly into a moving vehicle on their side in the #2 lane. However, I was already there. In between their car and the other car. The merge was so aggressive that I was thrown from the bike 25 ft into the air, and landed in the #3 lane where I was immediately ran over by a truck. Apparently I blacked out immediately (I'm assuming in pain.) My legs were nearly destroyed. My knees split open, my right femur bone severed in two. My left big toe fractured. Apparently my leg looked like it was gonna fall off. I dont remember any of it happening because it happened so fast and my brain must have shut it all off.

I woke up in ICU. Apparently the surgeon was able to reconstruct my right leg and I got this new metal pole with screws holding my femur together. It'll be there for the rest of my life. It's the worse pain I've ever experienced. I dont wish this upon anyone. I am impressing physical therapy with my healing however. I'm doing it man. I'm healing! I'm progressing! I'll walk again someday soon, just not perfectly.

I want everyone here to realize it doesnt matter how safe you are or think you are. It doesnt matter. It just took one person not checking their mirror to almost kill me. Please kiss your wife/husband and kids. Ride safe and hope that this just never even comes close to happening to you. I dont have enemies, but even if I did I wouldn't wish any of this upon them. I dont wish this upon anyone. Its terrifying to even think about. I'm so happy and grateful to be alive.

So I'm on disability now. CA state disability is only paying me 60% of what I make as an I.T. professional. I'm going to be out of work for a minimum of 3 months. It sucks to think about. I dont want to ask anyone for anything. Ever. I'm going to struggle getting ends to meet for this new mortgage, the one that put me so many miles further from my place of employment. With all that said, my co worker made a GoFundMe page for me. My family talked me into sharing my story and sharing the GoFundMe page. I'm not even going to ask people to donate. I mean if you can and do, thank you a million times over. But if not, just a share in your communities would be so appreciated. Not just the GoFundMe page but the warning and awareness to keep us riders safe. I've lawyered up and they tell me that I'm expected to receive a hefty settlement. If anyone does donate and wants it promised back, I certainly will pay it back as soon as the settlement comes in.

Anyways thanks for reading. I love you guys and this is such an amazing community and what a heck of a fun bike everyone gets to enjoy. Be safe my friends! Remember to kiss your family, love them, appreciate them, and let them know it. Chances are they share the same feelings of you and deep down have some of their own worries because you're doing it on two wheels. Keep it rubber side down. Have some fun for me 🙂

https://www.gofundme.com/bradley-millers-recovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-19-2018, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Yikes, glad to hear you're alright brother. As much as I enjoy riding it's stories like this that keep me from riding to work. Too many near misses and a couple collisions (in my car) to risk it. Wish you a speedy recovery and hope to see you on 2 wheels again soon.
airhead83 likes this.

Milc
post #3 of 25 Old 09-19-2018, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
What to say other than heal fast and well.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 09-19-2018, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Wow....Heal fast and keep that positive attitude!!! You got this.....and good luck.....
airhead83 likes this.
post #5 of 25 Old 09-19-2018, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
sht that sucks man, i'm glad you're ok! fast recovery and well wishes for you..
airhead83 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 Old 09-19-2018, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Holy **** man, that's terrible. I wish you a speedy recovery. I am impressed by your positivity.
airhead83 likes this.
post #7 of 25 Old 09-19-2018, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Thanks my dudes 🙂 it's easy for me to be positive when looking at the big picture and realizing it could have ended worse for me... I mean, I'm here right now! Theres breath in my lungs, blood in my veins and my brain was untouched! I am not missing a leg! I feel so terrible for anyone going thru pain right now. There are those that end up missing a leg! There are some that end up not being able to think right from brain damage! Some even lose their lives completely. I'm blessed man! I love my life!
airhead83, KimmyR3 and SofaCruiser like this.
post #8 of 25 Old 09-19-2018, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Oh my goodness... - things can happen so quickly and the outcome is never for sure...
I admire your attitude and positive thinking and I can only hope that this is you and not just a facade for the rest of the world. Yes, this can get ugly but you can survive and come out stronger... - maybe not physically but for sure mentally!

I also had an accidend last weekend... - hunted a deer successfully with my R3. The deer died a few minutes after the collision, the R3 is intact except some deer hair and mud and a bent gear shift lever and my torn leg-muscle and sore hip bones will heal soon, too.
Sure, I was taken to hospital after the accident happened and my inner organs were scanned for damage but I was able to go home the same day and today I picked up my R3, about 70 miles away from home and took it home, too.

Always make sure that you are not riding faster than your guardian angel can fly... ;-)
airhead83 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 25 Old 09-19-2018, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
my best wishes to you, glad you are in one piece!! hope you are able and willing to get back in the saddle soon!!
post #10 of 25 Old 09-19-2018, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Appreciate you sharing your story, best of luck and wish you a speedy recovery.

* * * Revving my heart since July 2017 * * *
2018 - Yamaha R6 Team Blue | May 2019 - Present
2015 - Yamaha R3 Team Blue | July 2017 - May 2019 (SOLD)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page