• 1 Post By proneto911
  • 1 Post By cxa0897

post #1 of 5 Old 12-07-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Starting the bike cold

I know itís controversial. I canít find anywhere where it says first start up for the day or when the bike is cooled down in either the owners manual or the service manual that I posted (yes Iím working on it school just ended for me will work on it for the next few weeks) have a few revisions already.

Anyway like the R1 it says in the manual that you can just start and go but take it easy till itís warmed up. Iím really curious if I can just go or have to wait till itís warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airhead83 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Get It
Study It
Keep Riding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-07-2018, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by proneto911 View Post
Iím really curious if I can just go or have to wait till itís warm.

Not controversial at all. Fire it up and go but take it easy on the throttle. Just apply partial power (say less than 80%) and shift early (below 8K in any way). Once the water temp indicator shows 2 bars you can ride as you like, the engine is then warm enough.

Riding the bike while warming up will help the engine to get to normal temperature faster and also help distribute oil quicker. You will consume less gas and also generate less polution because also the catalysator will reach its required working temperature earlier.
airhead83 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 12-07-2018, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Don't go full send out the door but if you're in a hurry just take it easy til it's warm. It should still be avoided because your valves clearance will fall out of spec faster but every so often won't make much of a difference.
airhead83 likes this.

Milc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-07-2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the responses I do normally wait either till it gets to 2 bars or 5 min whenever I get to riding so thatís not an issue but the owners manual doesnít clearly state. Thinking of contacting Yamaha US and finding out this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airhead83 likes this.

Get It
Study It
Keep Riding
post #5 of 5 Old 12-07-2018, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
I'm still commuting every day, and it was 19F this morning. I turn it on, put on my helmet and gloves, and ride off. I'm far less worried with engine temps than other things.

I do remember when I bought my fz8 the salesman said to wait for the digital thermo to hit 100 before riding. I never had any problems cold riding that one either though, so I guess ymmv sums it up best :/
airhead83 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page