post #1 of 113 Old 12-07-2018, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
NEW IMPORTANT RECALL: Coolant line

I just recieved this email from my local Yamaha dealership service manager:

"
Hi Jim,
Yamaha has issued a recall on a coolant line on your bike. It is recommended you donít ride your bike until the recall has been completed, as leaking coolant can cause a slippery condition and cause you to loose control. I have ordered the necessary part and will contact you when it comes in. You will receive a confirmation of this from Yamaha in the mail shortly.
Tony
"

My R3 is a 2017 model year. The email does not specify what model years or serial number ranges are involved.

Note the recommendation to stop riding until the line is replaced.

Jim G
airhead83 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 Old 12-07-2018, 10:47 PM
fbr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
How does that work with a track bike? Should I take the race body off and pretend itís still street legal? Will the dealer do the recall for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airhead83 likes this.
post #3 of 113 Old 12-07-2018, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Here's a wire news story on it that I just found:

https://www.livemint.com/Industry/Wj...ampaign=scroll

and then this one speculates about the "torsion spring" being the radiator hose clamp:

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...r-yzfr3/32459/

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 12-07-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 113 Old 12-07-2018, 11:39 PM
fbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
Here's a wire news story on it that I just found:

https://www.livemint.com/Industry/Wj...ampaign=scroll

and then this one speculates about the "torsion spring" being the radiator hose clamp:

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...r-yzfr3/32459/

Jim G

Jim, was your impression the same as mine? Perhaps the least informative recall announcement ever? LOL

post #5 of 113 Old 12-07-2018, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbr View Post
Jim, was your impression the same as mine? Perhaps the least informative recall announcement ever? LOL

Yeah, but now after reading the 2 articles, I THINK I see what the problem APPARENTLY actually is: an improperly manufactured or improperly installed hose clamp. I mean, what ELSE could a "torsion spring" capable of causing a leak in the cooling system be?? Unless it's a really rotten translation of "thermostat' (which does have a spring within it)? IF it is actually an unreliable thermostat, that's worse, since it could cut off coolant flow from the engine to the radiator entirely, and then when the coolant gets hot enough, you get lots of engine damage AND a really BIG sudden coolant leak. But, I have no reason to think "thermostat" unless we assume that "torsion spring" refers to the thermostat spring. This vagueness COULD simply be a result of the fact that it is Yamaha INDIA that identified the issue, and someone may have done a really crappy translation from Indian to English.

The vagueness of the wording, and the instruction to stop riding the bike until it is repaired by a dealer, also SUGGEST to me that Yamaha is afraid if they just identify the problem part, some owners will try to fix it themselves (because it's easier and faster than going through the dealership process), and then if they don't actually do it, or do it improperly, there's a contingent safety liability for Yamaha out there for the life of the bike. That's not what the company attorneys would like. Since the fix is apparently easy and cheap, it makes sense for Yamaha to insist on a dealer repair, so that they have documented proof that the safety issue was remediated.

Why the big safety concern? because engine coolant is one of the slipplier substances known to man. if any of it gets on a rear tire, you have an instant big league traction and staying-upright problem. Couple that risk with the demographics of the target owners, young inexperienced riders, and the potential for calamity goes up.

At least the above this is what I think right now based on the very limited information so far.

Be sure to note the manufacturing date range involved as well. Only SOME R3s are involved.

Jim G
post #6 of 113 Old 12-08-2018, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

There is an initially hidden "second portion" of the 2nd article, which provides more detail, and says within it:

"This voluntary recall is being undertaken to address an issue related to the leaking of coolant from the radiator and widening of torsion spring"

"widening of the torsion spring" probably means "stretching" of the hose clamp. BUT, do NOT assume I am correct in thinking this.It's just one possibility, and statistically the most likely.

But then, another article I just found says:
"1,874 units of the motorcycle are being recalled globally to fix an issue that caused coolant to leak from the radiator, which was caused by a defective radiator hose. The company will also replace the spring torsion component."

Note the "caused by" and then the "also" that I highlighted via red font. So, hose AND hose clamp will be replaced?

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 12-08-2018 at 12:09 AM.
post #7 of 113 Old 12-08-2018, 12:06 AM
fbr

Well you pretty much made my point for me. Itís a shift shaft spring.

post #8 of 113 Old 12-08-2018, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbr View Post
Well you pretty much made my point for me. Itís a shift shaft spring.

Wow! This is really TWO DIFFERENT defects, entirely UNRELATED, for DIFFERENT MODEL YEARS, and Yamaha has COMBINED them???

The coolant hoses are obviously between the radiator and the engine. The shift shaft spring is in the gearshifting mechanism in the transmission! There's no way these 2 entirely different defects should have been combined, and calling out the shift shaft spring as a torsion spring in a coolant leak recall obviously suggests a poor translation of "hose clamp" and leads a reader entirely astray. Someone at Yamaha really screwed up.

Get the popcorn out for the upcoming Tower of Babel conversations between Yamaha, dealers, and R3 owners.

Jim G
post #9 of 113 Old 12-08-2018, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
I've just changed the coolant today Even so my VIN number is outside of that range, which is good. Although if it ever happens that my R3 is subject to recall, does anyone have access to the part numbers which must get changed and instructions which are normally shared by Yamaha to the dealers?
post #10 of 113 Old 12-08-2018, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I am the 2nd owner of my r3, and my VIN falls in both categories. Am i still eligible to get this repair done? Where do i take the bike to have the repair done? Ive never done recall work on any of the vehicles i have ever owned, please excuse my ignorance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page