Idle RPM not stable - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

 13Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-22-2018, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Idle RPM not stable

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone ever encountered this problem, my RPMs are not stable when I'm in neutral (goes up and down between about 1'500-1'600rpm). Do you think I should have it checked out, is it potentially bad for the engine ?

Thanks in advance !
Sassewere is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 12-22-2018, 08:54 AM
Moderator
 
airhead83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Burke County, NC
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassewere View Post
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone ever encountered this problem, my RPMs are not stable when I'm in neutral (goes up and down between about 1'500-1'600rpm). Do you think I should have it checked out, is it potentially bad for the engine ?

Thanks in advance !
I'm not sure whether it would damage the engine. But, something is certainly amiss. Yes, I'd have it checked if it were mine. If I had to wager, they'll find a bad sensor, or a problem with the ECU effecting the fuel injection and fuel system. Someone else can probably be more specific, and maybe disagree. That's all good too, as long as you figure out your problem. Ride Safe.
Sassewere likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon

Last edited by airhead83; 12-22-2018 at 09:03 AM.
airhead83 is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 12-22-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead83 View Post
I'm not sure whether it would damage the engine. But, something is certainly amiss. Yes, I'd have it checked if it were mine. If I had to wager, they'll find a bad sensor, or a problem with the ECU effecting the fuel injection and fuel system. Someone else can probably be more specific, and maybe disagree. That's all good too, as long as you figure out your problem. Ride Safe.
Thanks, it's winter now. I'll ask my mechanic when time comes
airhead83 likes this.
Sassewere is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 Old 12-22-2018, 01:31 PM
Moderator
 
airhead83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Burke County, NC
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassewere View Post
Thanks, it's winter now. I'll ask my mechanic when time comes
Don't forget your battery over the winter. Battery Tenders do a great job, and you'll be able to start her up when warm weather arrives. Enjoy.
Matt-J2 and Sassewere like this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
airhead83 is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 12-24-2018, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,150
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
One important point: IF the variaiton is occurring rapdily and consistently, there may well eb something wrong. IF the variation is NOT occurring back and forth within seconds, but rather just "sometimes" reads 1500 and sometimes 1600, it has nothing to do with the engine; it's the tachometer.

On many production motorcycles, especially on models that are, like the R3, inexpensively positioned in the manufacturer's lineup, the tachometer is not consistent. It sometimes reads 1oo or 200 rpm higher or lower than at other times. Nothing wrong with the engine in that case. It's just a cheap tachometer.

Jim G
airhead83 and Sassewere like this.
JimGnitecki is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 12-25-2018, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
One important point: IF the variaiton is occurring rapdily and consistently, there may well eb something wrong. IF the variation is NOT occurring back and forth within seconds, but rather just "sometimes" reads 1500 and sometimes 1600, it has nothing to do with the engine; it's the tachometer.

On many production motorcycles, especially on models that are, like the R3, inexpensively positioned in the manufacturer's lineup, the tachometer is not consistent. It sometimes reads 1oo or 200 rpm higher or lower than at other times. Nothing wrong with the engine in that case. It's just a cheap tachometer.

Jim G
It's moving up and down rapidly, I don't have any engine-related issues (knocking on wood ) other than that, no power loss or anything else, anyway, I'll keep you guys updated to potentially help someone with the same issue.

Ride safe
airhead83 likes this.
Sassewere is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 12-25-2018, 10:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,150
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassewere View Post
It's moving up and down rapidly, I don't have any engine-related issues (knocking on wood ) other than that, no power loss or anything else, anyway, I'll keep you guys updated to potentially help someone with the same issue.

Ride safe
How many miles are on your R3?

Does it have any mods done to it (exhaust, airbox, ECU tune, Power Commander)?

Has it ever had its throttle bodies synchronized?

Has it ever had a valve clearance check?

Jim G
airhead83 and Sassewere like this.
JimGnitecki is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 01-02-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
How many miles are on your R3?

Does it have any mods done to it (exhaust, airbox, ECU tune, Power Commander)?

Has it ever had its throttle bodies synchronized?

Has it ever had a valve clearance check?

Jim G
A little under 10k miles with no mods, no throttle body synchronization and no valve clearance check.
Sassewere is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 01-02-2019, 12:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,150
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassewere View Post
A little under 10k miles with no mods, no throttle body synchronization and no valve clearance check.
A throttle body synchronization MIGHT make a difference, but it is certainly not "required' if the bike runs well. Too early to need a valve clearance check. I don't think there is anything wrong.I think all R3 tachometers move a tiny bit even at a steady idle, because with a 13,000 rpm engine, Yamaha did not want too much needle dampening. Don't sweat it.

Jim G
Sassewere likes this.
JimGnitecki is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 01-02-2019, 02:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Fluctuating 100rpm? That's basically background noise.

Go ride the bike and don't sweat it.
Sassewere likes this.
noturavgm is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Malfunctioning choke and idle RadianMan Exhaust & Fuel Delivery 4 06-26-2018 04:59 PM
My R3 won't idle !!! thunder Engine 40 01-21-2018 09:55 PM
R3 high idle WillMill Yamaha R3 Track Discussions 10 05-10-2016 10:50 PM
Idle is slightly off after installing aftermarket levers vercify Drivetrain 4 03-27-2016 08:57 PM
Idle rpm change tw586 Exhaust & Fuel Delivery 2 07-20-2015 05:36 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome