What is more worth it, upgrade the R3 or get a Ninja 400? - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

20Likes

post #1 of 23 Old 03-21-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
What is more worth it, upgrade the R3 or get a Ninja 400?

I know there are "similar" posts about this, however, none that are really comparing these two options together. I am trying to stick to these two options only but please feel free to offer other suggestions.

To start I absolutely love my R3, I love so much about it but I just want a little more power. I don't have any interest in an R6 or anything really outside of the 300 class at the moment. I've heard with the new graves exhaust, ECU tune, and High flow airbox can increase the hp of the R3 by a 1/3 putting it at 47rwhp. However, that would be a pretty penny and for about the same amount I can sell my R3 and get a stock new n400. Has anyone ridden both or have also looked into this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-22-2019, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I donít buy the graves upgrade is possible with such minor changes. The Yamaha-owned race kit itself requires all those changes, upgraded cams, pistons, head gasket, air box mods, and a bunch of other stuff yet it only gets 47-49HP.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/motoamerica-junior-cup-yamaha-yzf-r3-will-be-allowed-to-use-special-engine-kit-in-2019/
TMD5855 likes this.
post #3 of 23 Old 03-22-2019, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
I doubt you will be selling your R3 and making enough to purchase a stock N400, but if so, and all you are chasing is power, then go for it. Also, you will be at ground zero, so the mods start back up and you start sinking more money into the new bike, same routine as any new bike. The N400 is a good bike, but if I already had an R3, I would just be putting money into suspension and other go fast parts, which is exactly what I did with my R25 (using some left over parts from my previous R3, and some new parts). I am sure a tuned R3 can make about the same power as a stock N400, but then if you wanted more power, drop around $1100 into the N400 and it will be making more power than the R3. At that price point, you could be purchasing a used 600, and it would save you from spending money on suspension parts. Decisions, decisions.
Gizmo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 03-22-2019, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
I would suggest that you try to sign up for a demo day at a local dealer before you decide. The Ninja will have more power for sure - but a bike is more than just power. If you wanted more power, you'd move up a class.

But in your case, you could sink a bunch of money into your R3 and you might be closer to the Ninja in power but it likely won't ever really get there without spending a lot.

What's the objective here? Because 'more power' is likely a never ending quest. Why not start with some basics - an ECU tune, airbox mod and exhaust? That will make the bike a lot more fun and get you a bit more power. Still won't be Ninja territory but it will be more.

Personally, I'm happy with the bike other than a few small things like the tires and the brakes. But power wise, I'm fine with it.
Gizmo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 Old 03-22-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I only use the bike for street use and commuting. My biggest problem is it just doesn't feel right whenever I'm on the highway since the bike doesn't have that much power. However, I absolutely love the size of the bike since it's so great in turns which is why I don't want to really go up to a 600cc right now. I'm hoping that which the n400 I would get the great turning like the R3 but with a little more power for when I have to do prolonged highway rides.
post #6 of 23 Old 03-22-2019, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Not understanding all this chat about the R3 not having enough power on the freeway. Do you get thrown around a little by the wind and passing cars, yes but the R3's got more than enough go to pass and really move if you want it to. Use to be freaked out about getting too high in the revs but the bike seems to take it rather well.

When I got my R3 I knew what I was getting myself into and obviously I was well aware power wasn't going to be its thing, for me I was a new rider I just wanted to get my fundamentals right and the R3 was the perfect platform for it. Obviously, as others have mentioned bike is great for the track too so eventually when I move on its good to know the bike can have a second life after.

Back to power I agree with BluebirdR3, if that's what you're seeking it'll never end. When you get a 600 you'll want 1000 later so on and so forth.
Kojiiro and Gizmo like this.

* * * Revving my heart since July 2017 * * *
2018 - Yamaha R6 Team Blue | May 2019 - Present
2015 - Yamaha R3 Team Blue | July 2017 - May 2019 (SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 Old 03-22-2019, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyy13 View Post
My biggest problem is it just doesn't feel right whenever I'm on the highway since the bike doesn't have that much power.
Youíre probably in too high of a gear. The R3 has 2 overdrive gears, gears 5 & 6, which wonít grant you additional power. People always complain about 300s being down on power but itís because they canít properly select gears. The R3 draws peak power around 10,000 rpm and should be pretty well close to redline. When you need to go faster, drop a gear (or two) and crack the throttle open.

I have no power problems with my R3 ever. I can walk pretty much any car around me without issue.
Gizmo, f1lupo and kiko like this.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-24-2019, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Quote:
I know there are "similar" posts about this, however, none that are really comparing these two options together. I am trying to stick to these two options only but please feel free to offer other suggestions.

To start I absolutely love my R3, I love so much about it but I just want a little more power. I don't have any interest in an R6 or anything really outside of the 300 class at the moment. I've heard with the new graves exhaust, ECU tune, and High flow airbox can increase the hp of the R3 by a 1/3 putting it at 47rwhp. However, that would be a pretty penny and for about the same amount I can sell my R3 and get a stock new n400. Has anyone ridden both or have also looked into this.
I have both. Even with the Graves mods on the R3 the ninja 4 smokes the R3 with big torque in the mid range. Going thru the canyons on the 400 is much easier riding at low rpm.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 23 Old 03-24-2019, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_tchap View Post
I donít buy the graves upgrade is possible with such minor changes. The Yamaha-owned race kit itself requires all those changes, upgraded cams, pistons, head gasket, air box mods, and a bunch of other stuff yet it only gets 47-49HP.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...e-kit-in-2019/
Who do you think developed the R3 kit for Yamaha ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #10 of 23 Old 03-24-2019, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
To start I absolutely love my R3, I love so much about it but I just want a little more power.
There's your answer. It's fun to mod a bike and see what difference various mods can make. Also helps you value what things you may want to do on future bikes. Sounds like you have a great platform to start with. Have fun.
Gizmo and airhead83 like this.

Do you have to leave so soon? I was just about to poison the tea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page