User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jackk16

post #1 of 10 Old 04-06-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
R3 idle problem.

I just got my 2015 Yamaha r3 with 4K miles with a brand new battery in it from the dealer and my bike was warmed up and I stopped on the side of the road for a few minutes to text my friends and after a couple minutes the normal idle which is usually around 1,500 rpms dropped to about 1,000 and I could very clearly hear the drop in idle and it sounded like it was gonna die so I turned it off. And when I tried to start it back up it started up for not even a second and then died. I then tried again and it started up and I drove right away so I didn’t wanna risk of it dying. It drove normal the way home. And then at home after it being turned off for a about 5 minutes I turned it on again and the idle was at 1,500 rpms but the tachometer needle was going like up and down a bit with the idle. I’m gonna try it again tomorrow and see if it happens again. Could someone please help me with this. I just got the bike and am concerned with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Since you have a 2015, have you checked that all of the recalls have been done? A couple were engine related but I don't that would explain your issues.

Can you tell us more about the bike - are there any mods?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackk16 View Post
I just got my 2015 Yamaha r3 with 4K miles with a brand new battery in it from the dealer and my bike was warmed up and I stopped on the side of the road for a few minutes to text my friends and after a couple minutes the normal idle which is usually around 1,500 rpms dropped to about 1,000 and I could very clearly hear the drop in idle and it sounded like it was gonna die so I turned it off. And when I tried to start it back up it started up for not even a second and then died. I then tried again and it started up and I drove right away so I didnít wanna risk of it dying. It drove normal the way home. And then at home after it being turned off for a about 5 minutes I turned it on again and the idle was at 1,500 rpms but the tachometer needle was going like up and down a bit with the idle. Iím gonna try it again tomorrow and see if it happens again. Could someone please help me with this. I just got the bike and am concerned with this.
Is this the same bike with the aftermarket mods, power commander, exhaust, shifter, etc.?? You previously said the dealer unplugged something concerning the shifter? These mods work really well when they're coordinated with other components. But with all things being electric/computerized, these systems are far from "Plug and Play" or "Unplug and Play Again". Without knowing exactly what components were used, and how the system was set-up, it's going to be next to impossible for someone to diagnose the problems. I'd strongly recommend taking the bike BACK TO THE DEALER that sold it to you. They should be willing to help with the problem. Sorry to sound like sour grapes, but there are so many different systems and components out there. All do a wonderful job. But you have to know what's in the system, and how it's been configured.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead83 View Post
Quote:
I just got my 2015 Yamaha r3 with 4K miles with a brand new battery in it from the dealer and my bike was warmed up and I stopped on the side of the road for a few minutes to text my friends and after a couple minutes the normal idle which is usually around 1,500 rpms dropped to about 1,000 and I could very clearly hear the drop in idle and it sounded like it was gonna die so I turned it off. And when I tried to start it back up it started up for not even a second and then died. I then tried again and it started up and I drove right away so I didn’t wanna risk of it dying. It drove normal the way home. And then at home after it being turned off for a about 5 minutes I turned it on again and the idle was at 1,500 rpms but the tachometer needle was going like up and down a bit with the idle. I’m gonna try it again tomorrow and see if it happens again. Could someone please help me with this. I just got the bike and am concerned with this.
Is this the same bike with the aftermarket mods, power commander, exhaust, shifter, etc.?? You previously said the dealer unplugged something concerning the shifter? These mods work really well when they're coordinated with other components. But with all things being electric/computerized, these systems are far from "Plug and Play" or "Unplug and Play Again". Without knowing exactly what components were used, and how the system was set-up, it's going to be next to impossible for someone to diagnose the problems. I'd strongly recommend taking the bike BACK TO THE DEALER that sold it to you. They should be willing to help with the problem. Sorry to sound like sour grapes, but there are so many different systems and components out there. All do a wonderful job. But you have to know what's in the system, and how it's been configured. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png[/IMG]
yes it has the full Yoshimura r77 with a powrcommander and the quickshifter still on the bike BUT not connected. When I look at the power commander there is a light on next to “power” and a light off next to the word “status”
post #5 of 10 Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

I assume the power commander is connected for the exhaust
post #6 of 10 Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Quote:
Sounds like quality components, probably installed performed by qualified techs. So, it maybe something simple after all. Someone more knowledgeable than me may be able to steer you in the right direction. If not, I'd still let my dealer/seller look at it.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
post #7 of 10 Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like quality components, probably installed performed by qualified techs. So, it maybe something simple after all. Someone more knowledgeable than me may be able to steer you in the right direction. If not, I'd still let my dealer/seller look at it.
so you don’t know why it wouldn’t drop in idle and not start and then start again? I don’t either. I’m gonna drive it today after work and see what happens.
post #8 of 10 Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Is this the same bike with the aftermarket mods, power commander, exhaust, shifter, etc.?? You previously said the dealer unplugged something concerning the shifter? These mods work really well when they're coordinated with other components. But with all things being electric/computerized, these systems are far from "Plug and Play" or "Unplug and Play Again". Without knowing exactly what components were used, and how the system was set-up, it's going to be next to impossible for someone to diagnose the problems. I'd strongly recommend taking the bike BACK TO THE DEALER that sold it to you. They should be willing to help with the problem. Sorry to sound like sour grapes, but there are so many different systems and components out there. All do a wonderful job. But you have to know what's in the system, and how it's been configured. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png[/IMG]
started it up and let it warm up for a few minutes then took it for a 10 minute drive came back and everything was normal so idk what the **** was with it yesterday cuz it idled perfect today.
airhead83 likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old Today, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Power Commander is effectively a fuel management add-on which sits inline between the ECU and the rest of the bike. If you experience problems with idle, try to take it out and see if the problem goes away. It may not be a Power Commander issue at all but if it is, maybe Power Commander requires reconfiguration. Plug it back in afterwards regardless as having a full exhaust it is inadvisable to ride without a power commander or it's equivalent in the system.
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
It could be bad fuel. Try changing gas station.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in