Chipped Front Wheels - Recommendations? - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 10 Old 04-08-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Chipped Front Wheels - Recommendations?

Hi all,

Novice rider here looking for some advice.

I passed the Canadian equivalent of MSF last summer and purchased an Yamaha R3 ABS (2017) new from a local Yamaha dealer (was recommended to buy used, however I figured the ABS featured on newer bikes would justify the extra expense).

I recently hit a pothole going around 55km/hr (~35mph). Luckily I was able to stay upright and drive it off. Upon inspection I noticed the chip to my front rim (picture).

I brought it to a local motorcycle shop, and the mechanic told me he had never seen such a chip to the wheel in his career, he mentioned it was likely a manufacturing defect - he recommend me to bring it to Yamaha. At the Yamaha dealer (the same where I bought my bike), the Yamaha mechanic was also astonished by the chip. However, He explained going against Yamaha Canada for a wheel defect was improbable, considering I was the one who hit the pothole (understandably).

I was quoted $750CAD (~550USD) for the wheel replacement and installation. Which I find a little expensive.

I would appreciate any recommendations/advice for the following questions:

Is there anyone with experience with buying OEM parts from the web? I looked at sites that quote about $350USD for the front wheel. However I'm scared they might charge me local taxes/custom fees to Canada, which could balloon the price +50%.

Is there any substitute wheels? (Not too familiar with this, but could I buy for example a Ninja300 wheel?).

Is there any hope in opening an escalation with Yamaha Canada for wheel defect? If so, I could always pay for the repair upfront and hope for a reimbursement later.

Much appreciated,

N
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190406_153143.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	64779  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-10-2019, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Thread approved, thread bump.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-10-2019, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoShen View Post
Hi all,

Novice rider here looking for some advice.

Welcome aboard. Hard to say if its a defect without someone with a metallurgy background to inspect it.

When the KTM RC390 came out they had rims falling apart here and there. I've never heard of anything from Yamaha though. Its likely the shape of the pot hole and the way you struck it caused that chunk to break away.

About all you can do is, if your bike is under warranty take it to the dealer and let them inspect it and try and claim from Yamaha. Otherwise your stuck making a claim against the city for damages. I know where I live they pay out pot hole damage to vehicles on the regular.

Mav

Last edited by Maverick; 04-10-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-10-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome,

I looked at my local municipal rules and it seems unfortunately, in my province (Quebec) you can't claim vs the city/province. I may also avoid trying to claim vs. Yamaha Canada as the process seems lengthy and my odds aren't that great (I hit the pothole after all, and not sure how I can prove a manufacturing defect).

Quote:
From CAAQuebec's Website:

You cannot hold a municipality or the provincial government liable for material damage to your vehicle’s tires or suspension system due to road conditions.

That’s according to these laws:

Roads managed and maintained by the Ministry of Transport of Quebec: Article 30, An Act Respecting Roads (CQLR chapter V-9)
Municipality governed by the Municipal Code: Article 1127.2, Municipal Code of Québec, (CQLR chapter C-27.1)
Municipality governed by the Cities and Towns Act: Article 604.1 of the Cities and Towns Act (CQLR chapter C-19)
Not wanting to risk any additional tariffs & taxes from buying OEM parts online (estimated the wheel is ~$425CAD with tax and shipping), I decided to go with the dealer directly. (I previously got slapped with hefty custom fees ordering from TSTindustries / Shoei Japan / FC-Moto).

I got in touch with the dealer for repair costs, in total he quoted me $570 for the front wheel, $70 for 2x bearings (not sure if this is a mistake or did he really need 2?), and 10$ for valves. Totaling ~$650CAD gross, or about $750CAD tax in.

The dealer waived the repair labour fee, as I also purchased with them a pair of S20 EVO's and pay the installation cost there. (Total with tax & service ~$450CAD).

The wheels are back-ordered (~2 weeks), during the repair/install they will also perform the 2018 recall jobs.

Will update once the repairs are completed.

N
post #5 of 10 Old 04-10-2019, 02:23 PM

Ya its not the easiest process out west, but you can make a claim and get paid if you have all the information and time and patience.

Buying from Dealers in Canada isnt that much of a ripoff vs ordering yourself. Like you mentioned, they're covering all the duties/taxes/dollar exchange when coming across the border. And should you have any issues its easier to deal with them in person than phoning/emailing vendors across border lines.

If you've ever seen a customs broker invoice for a dealership that imports all its parts... its pretty scary.

And yes you need 2 bearings, but the $10 for a valve stem is a little steep. Most shops include that with the 'installation' charge

Mav
post #6 of 10 Old 04-10-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys complete novice when it comes to mechanics,

Upon further reading, it seems the dealer was right to charge for 2x bearings as there is one on each side of the wheel.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-r...heel-bearings/

However, not sure if they're damaged though, will ask them if I can keep the old ones in case I ever need another wheel change.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-10-2019, 02:40 PM

Bearings are press fit. Without a specific removal tool theres risk of damage removing the old ones. Not every mechanic removes a bearing the same way (let alone the proper way)

For $70 its worth the piece of mind they were brand new.

Mav
post #8 of 10 Old 04-10-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Bearings are press fit. Without a specific removal tool theres risk of damage removing the old ones. Not every mechanic removes a bearing the same way (let alone the proper way)

For $70 its worth the piece of mind they were brand new.
Gotcha - thanks for the clarification
post #9 of 10 Old 04-12-2019, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Join the club.
Attached Images

post #10 of 10 Old 04-18-2019, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Despite what the regulation says, I would recommend checking with your local municipality anyway. I know in Chicago if you damage your vehicle via a pothole (suspension, tire, wheel), they have a process in place to request reimbursement for repairs, despite what the State regulations may be. While your province may forbid you from holding the city liable, the city might hold itself liable. Basically, although they might not be legally required to pay, they might elect to anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page