• 1 Post By fbr
  • 1 Post By Milc
  • 1 Post By bweezy

post #1 of 7 Old 04-08-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Replacing helmet after accident

So a few months back took a little tumble. I'm more or less healed up and ready to ride again. A question about my existing helmet, in terms of damage to my helmet my chin vent snapped off completely and there are a few gashes across the front as well as my face shield. Other than that the helmet is in decent condition no internal cracks or warping from what I can see. Can't take it upon myself to toss the helmet so I'm planning to save it as an expensive paperweight for now

New helmet is already on the way as I don't want to risk anything especially when it comes to protecting your head. Just wanted to get any additional insight or opinions. Thanks in advance!
airhead83 likes this.

2015 - Yamaha R3 (Team Blue) | Revving my heart since July 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-08-2019, 01:22 PM
fbr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Is it just me, or do others watch in amazement how the top pros low side at 100+ mph and slide along the pavement holding their head up and never touching their helmet to the ground? How do they do that! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airhead83 likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-08-2019, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Light scratches from small rocks or other debris is usually fine but there was a substantial enough impact to break off a piece of trim so that's a no go in my book. Glad to hear you're ok.
airhead83 likes this.

Milc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-08-2019, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
You could always send it back to the manufacturer to check the internals. They'll let you know if it's good or not.

Last edited by sLing; 04-08-2019 at 10:12 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
There are a few things I'm sure to spend money on: Tires. Brakes. Safety gear. Everything else is just fluff - I'll spend but not as much, as often.

Do you have to leave so soon? I was just about to poison the tea.
post #6 of 7 Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbr View Post
Is it just me, or do others watch in amazement how the top pros low side at 100+ mph and slide along the pavement holding their head up and never touching their helmet to the ground? How do they do that! Lol

I've never slid that fast but have lowsided before. I think you do subconsciously try to keep your head off the ground.

Heres a pretty good video. Its worth watching the whole 10 minutes, but at the 6 minute mark it talks about Nakano and hitting his head around 9 times and not losing consciousness. That's quite a bit of energy being absorbed.

post #7 of 7 Old Today, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbr View Post

yes all the motogp crashes i've seen the rider always seems to gracefully slide until they come to a stop (usually on their butt). Wish I was that graceful. For me both times I've injured my hands. I think it's just natural to try to reach out to brace yourself. I even told myself after my first tumble that I'd try to keep my hands clear and slide if possible but I guess that didn't happen. Either way, healed up now and more or less ready to start riding again. Fingers crossed, no more injuries or accidents from here on out.
fbr likes this.

2015 - Yamaha R3 (Team Blue) | Revving my heart since July 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page