User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BluebirdR3

post #1 of 5 Old 04-13-2019, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
No name / cheap forged wheels?

I'd like to put forged wheels on my race R3. I know Marchesini makes a set. I also came across these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2018-Y...4AAOSwbX5cY9Gj

and these (appear to be the same as the ebay ones):

https://www.amazon.com/FRP-Rear-Fend...1969+Yamaha+R3

Having had forged wheels on many Ducatis and Aprilias, I know cheap and cheerful is usually a bad idea. There's a reason good wheels cost good money.

Having said that, since a lot of the stuff on this little bike is cheap and cheerful, I am wondering if this is worth considering. Looking for opinions from the group on whether these forged wheels might be good. Their claimed weight savings seem good, and at $900 something, that's only like two sets of tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-13-2019, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
If you were to street the bike, I'd say to walk, or maybe even run, away. But if it's track exclusive, they will probably hold up decently. You're putting less ride time on them, not dealing with pot holes or big bumps, and you'll be watching air pressure much more carefully.

I'd be skeptical of the weight saving they claim, but they are almost definitely lighter than oem, so there's at least some gain there. If you can stomach a grand on rims that may or may not live up to expectations, go ahead and try them.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-14-2019, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
I dunno. I'm pretty skeptical of things like this that seem too good to be true. That's just me though.
bbsteinnewyork likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-15-2019, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Considering the stock wheels are cast aluminum and hold up well I think 6061 should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
If you're looking to save money just stick with the stock wheels. If you want lighter wheels go with the name brands. Your hospital bill will be a **** of a lot more than what you saved by getting a china wheel so it's a bit of a gamble. I'm sure they'll work fine at first but with age comes the gremlins.

Milc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page