R3 Idling/Starting problem - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 4 Old 04-15-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
R3 Idling/Starting problem

Hopefully I'll be able to link the youtube video I'm uploading.

This is a 2017 R3

I started to warm my bike up at my GF's place, after about 2 minutes it just shut off. I was unable to start it by simply pressing the starter. I eventually started it by rolling it down the hill in 3rd gear and popping the clutch.

On the way home, whenever i pulled in the clutch, it did exactly what's happening in the video, when i came to my first stop sign i was trailed by a huge cloud of black smoke, i shut my bike off and jumped off immediately, i thought there was a fire.

I took this to the dealer i got it from (brand new, bought it in oct 2017, this occurred in around sept 2018) they said they have no idea whats wrong with it, and how they can't really diagnose the problem unless its present at the time they see it.

So now every now n then my bike does this. When it acts up I'm able to start it by holding the starter and giving it some throttle, but this weekend it happened and that trick didn't work. I rolled it down the high twice trying to push start it, the bike would start but basically immediately die. I left it for 20 minutes, came back, it started fine with the push start but again, it repeated exactly whats happening in the video.

This bike is Completely stock, up until 2 days ago when i installed a slip on exhaust. Everything has happened prior to this one mod.

I have a video but it won't let me post because:

To be able to post links or images your post count must be greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-15-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ht tps://ww w.youtube.com/watch?v=VYEV7vPBy7I&feature=youtu.be

I put a space between the https and www maybe it'll let me post it now... if anyone wants a clear view of my problem.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-17-2019, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The black smoke could be indication that its running super rich (Too much fuel)

My other thought is that it almost sounds like its only running on one cylinder, maybe perform a cylinder drop test (Thats what I call it).

I am assuming the engine light has never come on, I don't see it on in the video???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-17-2019, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
it does sound one cylinders aren't firing. take it to another dealer if possible get a second option. another option would be pull the ECU out and keep it out and plug it back in a few hours later see if that solves the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page