brake lever recall 2019 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-13-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
VintageGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
VintageGuy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 05-13-2019, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Wow - another recall but on the newer bike. I doubt it would be an issue for most people since they would replace the stock levers right away.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BluebirdR3 is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 05-13-2019, 10:08 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Chinese components?
RC45 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 05-13-2019, 10:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Appears to affect only a very small range of VINs. Manufacturing goof-ups can happen to anyone. FWIW these bikes are assembled in Malaysia; no idea where the brake lever is sourced from.
GoFaster is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 05-13-2019, 11:42 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Appears to affect only a very small range of VINs. Manufacturing goof-ups can happen to anyone. FWIW these bikes are assembled in Malaysia; no idea where the brake lever is sourced from.
I have received short-run CNC and cast parts from China. Quality across the shipments have been so random I only source components produced in the US and in Western Europe now.

Manufacturing "goof-ups" are far more frequent from the country of corruption and deceit than most other places - in my experience.
RC45 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 05-14-2019, 01:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
I have received short-run CNC and cast parts from China. Quality across the shipments have been so random I only source components produced in the US and in Western Europe now.

Manufacturing "goof-ups" are far more frequent from the country of corruption and deceit than most other places - in my experience.
Quality tends to lack where the workers are exploited, but corruption and deceit are words that can describe any country.

Milc
Milc is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 05-14-2019, 01:50 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milc View Post
Quality tends to lack where the workers are exploited, but corruption and deceit are words that can describe any country.
Not really. The quality control of raw materials and production standards is not caused by the exploited workers, it is the management that proactively use cheaper raw materials and substitute the agreed upon processes and methods for cheaper ones. Now these same companies probably do exploit their workers as well as they pursue rock bottom prices.

But lets not get totally side tracked - Yamaha have identified the problem and provided a solution.
RC45 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 05-14-2019, 02:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Not really. The quality control of raw materials and production standards is not caused by the exploited workers, it is the management that proactively use cheaper raw materials and substitute the agreed upon processes and methods for cheaper ones. Now these same companies probably do exploit their workers as well as they pursue rock bottom prices.

But lets not get totally side tracked - Yamaha have identified the problem and provided a solution.
Never said the workers did, just the places them use them A company that doesn't value skilled labor doesn't value the quality of their products.

Milc
Milc is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 05-14-2019, 07:20 AM
Moderator
 
airhead83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Burke County, NC
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milc View Post
Never said the workers did, just the places them use them A company that doesn't value skilled labor doesn't value the quality of their products.
And I'm confused here. Exactly which country are we talking about being corrupt and greedy? That only focus on profit and "winning" at any costs? No matter the lack of ethics or morals? You're right. IT CAN happen in any country.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
airhead83 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 05-14-2019, 03:00 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead83 View Post
And I'm confused here. Exactly which country are we talking about being corrupt and greedy? That only focus on profit and "winning" at any costs? No matter the lack of ethics or morals? You're right. IT CAN happen in any country.
Except in this case I am talking about a private CNC Rapid prototype service based in MN that delivers excellent product on time and made of the quote material, versus a quasi-state managed (as all Chinese companies above a certain size are) Chinese based Rapid prototype CNC service provider that not only could not keep dimensional integrity on the pieces but also substituted very poor quality undeclared alloy for the 7075 that was specified.

H E double hockey sticks, the MN company provided the foundry data for the billet used.

Chinese companies as a matter of common practice are dishonest and dangerous to work with. Lesson learned.
RC45 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: Right foot peg, Right Brake lever, Right Turn signal max2run Yamaha R3 Parts For sale 3 09-18-2018 09:36 AM
Vortex 7-degree Clip-ons: Advantages, Installation, & Outcomes JimGnitecki Yamaha R3 General Discussion 40 05-28-2018 02:20 PM
Brake lever perch adjustment JCCs2K Yamaha R3 General Discussion 5 01-02-2018 10:16 PM
Front brakes - lever pull before hard/full brake Jabs83 Brakes 9 10-29-2017 10:45 AM
Rearsets, RH clipon, brake lever, throttle tube m1yeh Yamaha R3 Parts For sale 3 06-22-2016 12:18 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome