• 1 Post By GoFaster
  • 1 Post By BluebirdR3
  • 1 Post By TMD5855

post #1 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
r3-forums.com Vendor

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Complete R3 Exhaust and Superbike build testing! Here it is!

If you guys have been wondering why I disappeared this winter, here you go. I like to be thorough.

https://www.norton-motorsports.com/2019/06/yamaha-r3-dyno-results-with-akrapovic-full-system-slip-on-and-stock-exhaust-tuned-with-bazzaz-zfi/

Cheers,
Jesse

Follow my build and racing at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The most complete resource for information and race parts for the Yamaha R3 and Ninja 400.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing the results of your hours and hours (and hours) of work, nice to see comparisons of similar equipment on a consistent dyno. Cheers.
jbluetooth likes this.

Do you have to leave so soon? I was just about to poison the tea.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbonez View Post
Thanks for sharing the results of your hours and hours (and hours) of work, nice to see comparisons of similar equipment on a consistent dyno. Cheers.
+1

No one can thank you enough for all the information (tedious work at that) you've provided us over the years. Kudos
jbluetooth likes this.

Mav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
I am reading through your huge write up. With the Spark, did you test with and without DB killer? Any significant changes?

Also, at the end of the write up, you mention overboring. I am not too familiar with that stuff, but did see kits on a different site for it. Anyone care to elaborate?
jbluetooth likes this.

Last edited by Kojiiro; 06-06-2019 at 09:33 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-07-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
r3-forums.com Vendor

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Spark tested with the DB killer. Performance without is terrible for every exhaust we've tested, don't bother unless you just want the sound.

The stock R3's displacement of 321cc comes from a cylinder diameter of 68mm and stroke of 44.1mm. Overboring the cylinder refers to cutting the cylinder larger, to 70mm generally, increasing the displacement to 339cc. In order to do this, you must remove the cylinder and send it out to be bored larger and replated with nikasil plating. Then you must replace the pistons and head gasket with 70mm versions and reinstall everything. From what I've seen, this bumps performance another 2-3HP, but is gets pretty expensive and labor intensive, which is why I left it out of this test. IMO it's a pretty expensive 2-3 HP compared to the gains from these other things when you consider the time, labor, and tuning involved in overboring compared to just working on the top end (head and cams), TB, and airbox, which all can be done without taking the motor out of the bike. Overboring also isn't legal in any Superbike race classes that require stock displacement, where head work is, so that was another factor. But it's certainly the next thing to do after the head if you want more power, but it will easily add another $1200ish + labor to the build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojiiro View Post
I am reading through your huge write up. With the Spark, did you test with and without DB killer? Any significant changes?

Also, at the end of the write up, you mention overboring. I am not too familiar with that stuff, but did see kits on a different site for it. Anyone care to elaborate?
Kojiiro likes this.

Cheers,
Jesse

Follow my build and racing at

The most complete resource for information and race parts for the Yamaha R3 and Ninja 400.

post #6 of 8 Old 06-07-2019, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Wow ... That is a stunning amount of information in that article with a huge amount of research behind it. "Good work" is an enormous understatement!
jbluetooth likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-08-2019, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Thanks so much Jessie for the highly detailed write up and comparison. Much appreciated!
jbluetooth likes this.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-09-2019, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Well done Jessie.
You have cut through the smoke and fog of the printed word from a few, no longer is it mirrors and he said this and that.

The truth does not lie when everything is tested and compared same way on the same recording device.

Everything I have bought from you has done exactly as you said it would, your advise for my 'non' track bike has lost you money, but, gained you my respect.

Thank you for all the time and your willingness to share same.
jbluetooth likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page