High fuel consumption - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 10 Old 06-10-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
High fuel consumption

Just recently changed oils air fliters and oil filter. After that the bikes average has horribly decreased which is 10km per litre though I'm riding below 7k rpm. In 3 days it burned about 8 litres of gas. What is reason behind it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-10-2019, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aayush Rana View Post
Just recently changed oils air fliters and oil filter. After that the bikes average has horribly decreased which is 10km per litre though I'm riding below 7k rpm. In 3 days it burned about 8 litres of gas. What is reason behind it.
Be sure you have the air filter inserted in the proper direction. Should be an arrow stamped on the filter to show air flow direction. Other than an air flow restriction, I can't think of any reason you'd have a decrease in fuel mileage.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
post #3 of 10 Old 06-10-2019, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Oil viscosity has some effect over fuel economy but it shouldn't drop you to 23mpg. Did you do the work yourself or did you get the work done at a shop? Also what weight oil as in it vs the oil you put in?

Milc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I would look at restriction on air flow as the reason.
But, how much oil did you put in?? Were the bike on it's side stand when you put in the oil up to the mark, or were the bike upright?

Is the bike running hotter than before or same temp range
post #5 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Yes checked it all. Air filter is okay.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Milc

I did all the works myself. Previous oil was the stock which came from the factory I changed to motul 4t 7100 2 litres.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Tmd5855

I changed to motul 4t 7100. And about 2 litres up to the level. All okay with the airflow as well. And I did it all works using paddock stand so bike was in upright position.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aayush Rana View Post
I changed to motul 4t 7100. And about 2 litres up to the level. All okay with the airflow as well. And I did it all works using paddock stand so bike was in upright position.
It doesn't appear that you've done anything wrong in regards to the oil change, and it would be very strange for even a much thicker oil to have this noticable an impact.

I can only guess that perhaps you have somehow created strong resistance somewhere in the driveline. Try lifting the front and and rear end (separately) and making sure that the wheels are spinning freely and it's not your brakes binding. Other than that, it could have developed a fuel leak but you'd probably be able to smell that.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-14-2019, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Have you checked your tire pressure?

Edit: Never mind, you're talking about 24 miles per gallon loss? (10 km per liter lost) I've seen tire pressure give about a 4 mile per gallon loss. (1 km per liter.) What you're talking about is a crazy amount of fuel consumed from an oil and air filter change? That's not possible in my book, and I've changed about 10 oil filters, and 4 air filters on my R3's.

Last edited by 9Nails; 06-14-2019 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added detail
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
This is odd. If you aren't winding it out, and everything checks out, something isn't right. The bike must be running overly rich for some reason.

Can you tell us more? What mods are on the bike, is the air filter stock paper or aftermarket? How many kms on it? Where do you live - ie what's the average ambient temps? What was your previous fuel economy? How far were you going on one tank before vs now? Many factors and you haven't told us very much so more details could help us try and pinpoint a cause.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page